Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 02-27-2009, 05:14 PM   #16
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
I've finished virtually every book that I started except "One Hundred Years of Solitude" by Gabriel García Márquez.
However, this is not the fault of the book. It was given to me by a departing boyfriend, who then started behaving extremely badly. Every time I opened the book it brought the circumstances all back, far too vividly. So I gave it way.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 06:00 PM   #17
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
I couldn't finish "Tale of Two Cities."
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 06:11 PM   #18
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
I've finished virtually every book that I started except The Little Engine That Could..

I really do not remember a book I could not finish that I wanted to read. There are many that I stopped reading because I felt that they were not worth the trouble. Books that I questioned the sanity of those that liked the book. Books that were not good books.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 06:19 PM   #19
junkml
Addict
junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader
Put me down as another one that hasn't finished the Lord Of The Rings trilogy. I've tried three times. I end up getting bored, put it down, and never pick it up again. I think I finally made it halfway through the second book the last time before I was bored to tears.
junkml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 06:32 PM   #20
Marysart
Member Retired
Marysart will become famous soon enoughMarysart will become famous soon enoughMarysart will become famous soon enoughMarysart will become famous soon enoughMarysart will become famous soon enoughMarysart will become famous soon enough

Device: none
For me it was also the Lord of the rings. I read the Hobbit first and that was doable.
Just like the poster above, I got bored with The Lord of the rings. Also where are the women in these books.

forgot to say I tried twice!

Last edited by Marysart; 03-01-2009 at 07:34 AM.
Marysart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 06:54 PM   #21
Fledchen
Guru
Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.

Device: PB360+, Sony950, VR Stream, iPod Touch, iPad
I loved The Hobbit, but simply cannot get through Fellowship of the Ring, although I have tried several times.
Fledchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 06:56 PM   #22
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timoleon View Post
The Stand by Stephen King. I got 400 pages into it, and I just couldn't go on. Also, the last couple of books from The Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan were non-finishers for me. Maybe I'm in the minority, but I've also had a hell of a time getting through any of Dan Brown's books...

No, you're not in the minority (thankfully). I tried to read Angels and Demons (given to me) and it was so awful I couldn't get further than about a hundred pages.
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 11:09 PM   #23
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
the only book ive Tried to read more than once was Times Eye By Stephen Baxter and Authur C Clark. but thats before ebook readers. im sure if i were to start it again i could finish it.
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 11:19 PM   #24
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fledchen View Post
I loved The Hobbit, but simply cannot get through Fellowship of the Ring, although I have tried several times.
I'm suprised so many people had trouble with LOTR. I devoured that entire series. Several times.

I'll admit, I have an elvish tattoo on my back..
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 01:36 AM   #25
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
"Thus Spake Zarathustra" by Nietzsche. I'm not sure why, I've read aphorisms by Nietzsche where he rants, and a couple of biographies. But I can't seem to get one of his most famous books finished... I'll see if I can get it for my Kindle while I am on this Kindle binge over the hollidays.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 08:26 AM   #26
Laine
Addict
Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O, Voyage
I've tried to read The Deed of Paksenarion by Elizabeth Moon 3 times and not made it past the middle. However I love her scifi and have reread most of those. My husband loves Paks but won't try the SF. We've been married 34 years and do agree on many books, however.
Laine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 09:05 AM   #27
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Books by Thomas Mann; "The Magic Mountain" I got 2/3rds through in the second try, and I have started the first book in "Joseph and his brothers" several times. They are still both standing in my book case, because I can see there's something very good about them - the beginning of "Joseph..." is fantastic - and I want to read them.

Perhaps I need to become a bit older - that has helped with other books I didn't understand the first time I read them.

PS: I love "The Lord of the Rings". Different tastes for different people, I think
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 06:53 PM   #28
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Oh, also Patriot Witch. Just wasn't interested enough to keep going.

I have an Umberto Eco (can't remember which one - a recent one, any way) that I've started and not got beyond two pages of - it's the only book I've put down somewhere and not been able to find again!
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 05:00 AM   #29
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laine View Post
I've tried to read The Deed of Paksenarion by Elizabeth Moon 3 times and not made it past the middle. However I love her scifi and have reread most of those. My husband loves Paks but won't try the SF. We've been married 34 years and do agree on many books, however.
Paks yes, her Sci-fi - no.

War & Peace - I don't think I've managed to get past the first 3 or 4 pages, and not just once....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 05:16 AM   #30
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortNCuddlyAm View Post
I have an Umberto Eco (can't remember which one - a recent one, any way) that I've started and not got beyond two pages of - it's the only book I've put down somewhere and not been able to find again!
The "The Name of the Rose". Superb book - a medieval detective story.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote