Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 01-18-2009, 12:28 PM   #31
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
well i would be happy to tackle starrigger's dictionary, if he can provide me the sources. i'm currently working on a french dictionary on this model, however i have had a lot of work to do lately so i had to set it aside for a while. hopefully i can come back to it soon.

starrigger, can you give me your source file ?
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 03:06 PM   #32
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver
starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Yoga Tab Plus, Droid phone, Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
well i would be happy to tackle starrigger's dictionary, if he can provide me the sources. i'm currently working on a french dictionary on this model, however i have had a lot of work to do lately so i had to set it aside for a while. hopefully i can come back to it soon.

starrigger, can you give me your source file ?
Maybe everyone missed the beginning of this subthread, where I said I bought the Pocket OED and removed the DRM to try to get it to work on my personal Sony Reader.

So I was testing the procedure to see a) if it worked, and b) if it was easy enough that others could do the same with their own, purchased copies of the dictionary if they wanted to.

I was sharing the experience and test results with the community, but I can't share the book without stepping on copyright. I mean, if Zelda wanted to spend hours doing it so that I could have my own personal copy on my Reader and no one else would, that would be wonderful. But somehow I guess that's not what people are thinking here.
starrigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 03:10 PM   #33
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by starrigger View Post
Maybe everyone missed the beginning of this subthread, where I said I bought the Pocket OED and removed the DRM to try to get it to work on my personal Sony Reader.
ha, actually, i thought you had said that, but when harry suggested i do it myself i supposed i had been wrong, because harry is extremely punctilious about copyright. i should have gone back and checked, i guess.

Quote:
So I was testing the procedure to see a) if it worked, and b) if it was easy enough that others could do the same with their own, purchased copies of the dictionary if they wanted to.

I was sharing the experience and test results with the community, but I can't share the book without stepping on copyright. I mean, if Zelda wanted to spend hours doing it so that I could have my own personal copy on my Reader and no one else would, that would be wonderful. But somehow I guess that's not what people are thinking here.
well, i am a very generous person but that might be taking things too far. (although, i might almost be tempted, in the name of science... ) it's very nice of you to share your experiences with us though so we can learn from them as well, and i hope if you push the experiment further you will keep us informed.
Old 01-18-2009, 03:25 PM   #34
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver
starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
it's very nice of you to share your experiences with us though so we can learn from them as well, and i hope if you push the experiment further you will keep us informed.
Actually, I forgot to post my further results, so thank you for the reminder.

I wanted to see if converting to LRF would make a file that would read faster on the 700 than the EPUB. I shut down all extraneous programs on my computer and ran any2lrf from the command line on the epub version (in which the extraction to html was already done). Sucker ran for over 40 hours, saying it was "rationalizing font sizes." The pagefile was approaching 2 GB. I finally pulled the plug and stopped it so that I could use my computer again.

It still might be possible, if someone with a more powerful computer wanted to buy the book and try it. But it defeated my machine.

So I still don't know if a LRF version would work better than the EPUB version, which works but is so slow that in practice I doubt I'll ever use it.
Old 01-18-2009, 03:35 PM   #35
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
well, i am a very generous person
...and extremely modest.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 02:40 AM   #36
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
ha, actually, i thought you had said that, but when harry suggested i do it myself i supposed i had been wrong, because harry is extremely punctilious about copyright. i should have gone back and checked, i guess.
I thought that we were talking about the practicality of ePub dictionaries, in an general sense, on the Sony Reader. Wouldn't the PD 1913 Websters be adequate for general testing of concepts? Why not do some experiments with an ePub version of that and see how well it works?

Obviously I'm not suggesting that anyone give out copies of a commercial dictionary!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 02:54 AM   #37
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I thought that we were talking about the practicality of ePub dictionaries, in an general sense, on the Sony Reader. Wouldn't the PD 1913 Websters be adequate for general testing of concepts? Why not do some experiments with an ePub version of that and see how well it works?

Obviously I'm not suggesting that anyone give out copies of a commercial dictionary!
Well, I have the 1913 Websters on my Reader and am grateful to have it. But I wanted a modern dictionary if I could get one, so I chose the Pocket OED as a relatively compact (an inexpensive) one to try. I wasn't attempting a general proof of concept so much as trying to get an up-to-date dictionary--and reporting, so that if it worked, others could do the same if they liked.

I think the reason my conversion proved unwieldy is that the built-in search links didn't survive the conversion. The dictionary is quite nimble in its native Mobi format on my creaky old Cassiopeia.
Old 01-20-2009, 02:58 AM   #38
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I see that you have a PRS-700. How effective is the built-in text search on that in locating dictionary entries?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 03:29 AM   #39
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I see that you have a PRS-700. How effective is the built-in text search on that in locating dictionary entries?
That's what I was trying to say earlier: it's far too slow to be useful. Is it the sheer length of the book? Or do the formatting complexities slow it down? I don't know. I just know that in most tests, it appeared to freeze the Reader.
Old 01-20-2009, 09:44 AM   #40
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by starrigger View Post
That's what I was trying to say earlier: it's far too slow to be useful. Is it the sheer length of the book? Or do the formatting complexities slow it down? I don't know. I just know that in most tests, it appeared to freeze the Reader.
i think it must be the length of the text : i've done a few searches and i've noticed the longer the book the slower the search. once i tried a search inside a dictionary (which was not yet optimised) for a word near the end of the alphabet and it took so long i also thought it had frozen. but a search inside shorter books is nearly instantaneous.

i think it also has to do with how far you have to go to find the word : i just tried a search inside nrapallo's webster's dictionary (which is really big) ; the first instance of the word appeared not far from where i was in the book, and it took less than one second to get there ; advancing to the next two instances also was near instantaneous. the search i did that was very long was for "systolic" starting at the beginning of the book (i can see the last few searches when i open the search window, that's how i know).