Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 04-14-2011, 11:53 AM   #1
Steppa
Steppa has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Steppa has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Steppa has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Steppa has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nook Color
Metro Skin for Calibre

I am big fan of the clean monochromatic look of Metro UI (usied in Windows Phone 7). I have skinned about 80% of Calibre on the same principle and here are the results.

Big Thanks to Kiwi Dude for configuring his plugins to use the "resources image folder". This allows plugin icons to be skinned just once and then remain the same whenever you update your plugins.

[Graphic too large. Deleted. - MODERATOR]

[Graphic too large. Deleted. - MODERATOR]

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 04-14-2011 at 01:03 PM.
Steppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 07:08 AM   #2
Steppa
Steppa has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Steppa has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Steppa has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Steppa has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Let's try this again with the images resized.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 04-15-2011 at 07:39 AM.
Old 04-15-2011, 07:15 AM   #3
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Much better (although I replaced the tiny URLs with the full links - we have a policy against using tint URLs)!

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 04-15-2011 at 07:40 AM.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 08:30 AM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steppa View Post
Big Thanks to Kiwi Dude for configuring his plugins to use the "resources image folder". This allows plugin icons to be skinned just once and then remain the same whenever you update your plugins.
Looks good, zip up the icons and attach them to the post.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 07:24 AM   #5
Steppa

Once again thanks to KiwiDude for his modified plugin code and to Yankoa on Deviant Art for allowing the use of his wonderful Metro Icons. And off course Kovid for creating this awesome program.

Main GUI skin is complete. The following Plugin images are also included:
Book Sync
Devices
Extract ISBN
Generate Cover
Goodreads Sync
Plugin Updater
Quality Check
Search The Internet
View Manager.

1. Back Up you existing AppData/Roaming/calibre/Resources folder.
2. Extract the zip file to your AppData/Roaming/calibre/Resources folder.
3. Restart Calibre
4. Enjoy.

Note: I did not skin any plug-in icons that are tiny (32x32) as it did not look good.

Cheers.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Metro_Skin_For_Calibre.zip (1.75 MB, 3074 views)
Old 04-17-2011, 08:58 PM   #6
DeadMan
Enthusiast
DeadMan is no ebook tyro.DeadMan is no ebook tyro.DeadMan is no ebook tyro.DeadMan is no ebook tyro.DeadMan is no ebook tyro.DeadMan is no ebook tyro.DeadMan is no ebook tyro.DeadMan is no ebook tyro.DeadMan is no ebook tyro.DeadMan is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Very cool. Thanks.

Wish there was an easy way to change the colours for the rest of the GUI in the Windows version. Unless there is something new I missed along the way.
DeadMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 06:00 AM   #7
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
A very nice-looking icon set, although I personally prefer the default- that might be a case of what I'm used to, though
One thing you may want to look into: On Win XP, the tray icon didn't show for me, although I suspect that's because I'm using a display theme that has black title and task bars. It would help, though, to have a white border on that icon.
Another thing: The splash screen is broken, as in the status text Calibre displays writes on the image. I think you need to put a little blank space in there.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 11:22 PM   #8
araxhiel
araxhiel began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle for Android/iPhone
I know, that this is a very, very old thread, but I just wanted to say 2 things:

1) Even after +4 years, this skin is still working (or sort of... it's unknown to me how it looked back on 2011), at least all the icons were changed, including the "splash screen", and in overall looks nice.

2) If someone decides to try this after me, just wanted to make note that the path provided by OP isn't valid anymore (at least on Windows 7 x64):

Instead of "%AppData%/calibre/Resources", the correct path is "%programfiles%\Calibre\Resources" (or "%programfiles(x86)%\Calibre\Resources" if you are using "normal" Calibre instead of the 64-bit version of Calibre on a 64 bits OS).

Thanks,
araxhiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 11:48 PM   #9
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Wrong. That folder is still very much used. If you use the installation folder it will work too, but it will be updated with the original version every time you update calibre.

The configuration folder provides the ability to set a persistent overrides folder for any files in the resources folder, which will not be expunged every time calibre is updated.

Do note, replacement images need to go in the exact filepath duplicated from the install folder, which is "resources\images\".
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 09:14 AM   #10
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by araxhiel View Post
I know, that this is a very, very old thread, but I just wanted to say 2 things:

1) Even after +4 years, this skin is still working (or sort of... it's unknown to me how it looked back on 2011), at least all the icons were changed, including the "splash screen", and in overall looks nice.

2) If someone decides to try this after me, just wanted to make note that the path provided by OP isn't valid anymore (at least on Windows 7 x64):

Instead of "%AppData%/calibre/Resources", the correct path is "%programfiles%\Calibre\Resources" (or "%programfiles(x86)%\Calibre\Resources" if you are using "normal" Calibre instead of the 64-bit version of Calibre on a 64 bits OS).

Thanks,
NO NO NO
Calibre was designed (properly) to NOT need Admin rights for skinning.
Icons (and other custom stuff) belong in the Configuration folder counterpart of the program folder.
This way, each USER account on the PC can have their OWN personal Look and Feel.

In addition, using the config folder makes the mod fairly resistant to weekly updates (Calibre Updates replace the old program files).
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 10:16 AM   #11
araxhiel
araxhiel began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle for Android/iPhone
Ok, I got it...

I'm curious, it will take the icons/theme from %appdata% even if that folder (calibre/Resources) doesn't exist in first place?
araxhiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 10:23 AM   #12
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Yes. Appdata is loaded if it exists. Same goes for anything else in the %APPDATA%\calibre\ folder.

By default, nothing exists, not even the editor/gui/tweaks/history/conversion/etc settings. As they are needed, they are created.

Last edited by eschwartz; 05-01-2015 at 10:31 AM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 10:35 AM   #13
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by araxhiel View Post
Ok, I got it...

I'm curious, it will take the icons/theme from %appdata% even if that folder (calibre/Resources) doesn't exist in first place?
You need to add the Resources (and only the desired sub folders) if you want to use them.
Empty folders need not exist.
The full set of 'X' need not exist (I only have an replacement Trash Icon in there)
Any (replacement) item in a Resources folder needs to have the EXACT same filename (Case and path)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote