Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 05-27-2013, 03:27 AM   #31
Dryhte
Crow
Dryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watch

Device: (Vivlio) Pocketbook Touch HD3
OP: if you're having trouble returning the reader, you may want to give it another try instead. It really is quite good (I myself am perfectly happy with it) and (but for some minor bugs) the firmware keeps improving as well.

I can't say anything about ADE books (never used them) and I don't use the Kobo software (though I did use it to set up the reader), but I tend to simply side load the epubs I have by putting them on it directly as on a USB stick.

If you prefer the 'iTunes feeling', you could use Calibre instead (of course it has lots of actually useful options but you can also use it simply as a ebook manager).

I hope your experience with the ereader itself turns out to be better than your experience with Kobo's customer service... but actually I'm sure it will.
Dryhte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 04:35 AM   #32
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Wait a sec.... E-readers come with manuals? Huh!

Then what's Google Search for?!? Every problem/project I've tried to deal with, with any e-reading device I use, I've found the answers quickly, clearly, and easily using some sort of search engine on the Internet, especially YouTube. For that matter, I found the answers to most ANY question about ANYTHING, from a recipe for Tarragon Chicken to re-timing valves on a car engine, to adding books to my Kobo, or adding columns to Calibre. I like 'seeing' exactly what I need to do to solve my situation. So far, I've been able to find the answer to every question except the big one.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 12:32 AM   #33
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
I noticed that the poster registered in October and made a single post titled "Kobo Glo Disaster" in the Which One Should I Buy? forum and was never heard from again. Sounds like a hatchet job more than anything.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 12:33 PM   #34
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Please keep in mind that the OP's post was 8 months ago. He came here angry, and he has not returned.

Don
(Moderator)
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 07:35 PM   #35
geormes
Groupie
geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Classic, Kobo Touch, Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Please keep in mind that the OP's post was 8 months ago. He came here angry, and he has not returned.

Don
(Moderator)
Maybe if we yell loud enough he will hear us?
geormes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 11:24 AM   #36
nhunt
nhunt began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Still here. And from what I read in the thread, I'm not the only one who has serious issues with Kobo's customer service.
For anyone considering a reader, I strongly suggest people look elsewhere.
nhunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 12:09 AM   #37
susaz
Zealot
susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Grammata Papyre 6.2, Sony PRS T1, Nook ST Glow,Kobo Glo
Scaring me guys... I'm used to glitches, poorly written manuals and everything. I don't want to go to Kindle having a large side loaded library and loving to buy local books every now and again, unavailable at Amazon's library. That's why I stuck to ePub readers, since I started experimenting with ebooks. I love eink, I wouldn't dream of a tablet, and loving reading in bed and anywhere with poor lightining. I'm wanting the Kobo to work with all of my heart. I'm too far away to send it back in (while MAYBE Kobo Brazil will take it in). There are local readers such as the Grammata Papyre http://grammata.com.ar/3/papyres but they're too slow and poor in performance as can be (although they excell in PDF reading).
I hope the one I bought will be as good a companion like the ones before it.
Naming it could be a great idea...
susaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 12:30 AM   #38
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by susaz View Post
Scaring me guys... I'm used to glitches, poorly written manuals and everything. I don't want to go to Kindle having a large side loaded library and loving to buy local books every now and again, unavailable at Amazon's library. That's why I stuck to ePub readers, since I started experimenting with ebooks. I love eink, I wouldn't dream of a tablet, and loving reading in bed and anywhere with poor lightining. I'm wanting the Kobo to work with all of my heart. I'm too far away to send it back in (while MAYBE Kobo Brazil will take it in). There are local readers such as the Grammata Papyre http://grammata.com.ar/3/papyres but they're too slow and poor in performance as can be (although they excell in PDF reading).
I hope the one I bought will be as good a companion like the ones before it.
Naming it could be a great idea...
Hi susaz. No need to be frightened. The forums are echo chambers of negativity. If you take a look at the Kobo Aura satisfaction poll you'll see that close to 90% are satisfied with their new Kobo Aura. I'm extremely pleased with my Aura HD which I've been using since April or so. The latest Kobo firmware thread is so overflowing with positivity that I didn't even recognize it!
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 04:02 AM   #39
spersephone
Zealot
spersephone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spersephone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spersephone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spersephone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spersephone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spersephone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spersephone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spersephone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spersephone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spersephone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spersephone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Voyage
I've never had an e-reader, and neither has my father, until recently. I decided on a Kobo Mini, and loved it within minutes of getting it. However, I realised I would really prefer it if it had a light. So I got the Glo, and gave the Mini to my father.

He and I are both loving its simplicity. I use a combination of ADE/Kobo/Calibre to put books onto it and so far have been very happy with it. I have had no problems with it at all, although I suspect if I did, it might be difficult to get it dealt with, as I've read numerous posts about their terrible customer service.

I'm hoping that I never need to find out, as the device is brilliant. Very happy with its ease of use.
spersephone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 06:43 AM   #40
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by spersephone View Post
I've never had an e-reader, and neither has my father, until recently. I decided on a Kobo Mini, and loved it within minutes of getting it. However, I realised I would really prefer it if it had a light. So I got the Glo, and gave the Mini to my father.

the device is brilliant. Very happy with its ease of use.

Hear, Hear! I have both of those and they are brilliant! Best eink devices I have ever owned.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote