Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-05-2013, 10:11 PM   #496
xtine
Addict
xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
Remember that is only for old Mobi files. When using it on KF8 books, you will see a difference in line spacing. So the 2 different fonts are useful.
Yup, I do see it on KF8 books
xtine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:53 AM   #497
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Remember that is only for old Mobi files. When using it on KF8 books, you will see a difference in line spacing. So the 2 different fonts are useful.
Or you can just make both the same line spacing in Type Light 3.2. I don't see any need to have two of the same fonts with font space so precious. You will want to adjust the Metrics to match. It's real easy to do.

There is a difference in the Compact version of Charis. You will find some letters smooshed together. Look at words like too or Good on the different fonts you will notice a slight difference in the Kerning. It's enough to bother me. I prefer regular Charis with the Line spacing modified.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:57 AM   #498
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I don't see any need to have two of the same fonts with font space so precious.
It is about choice, not extra space. Jon can distribute both at the same time, and you put the one on PW you intend to keep. (Tight line spacing or a little bit bigger). I agree though, that it should be the same font - my eyes are not trained to see the difference you see with kerning.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 02:29 PM   #499
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
It is about choice, not extra space. Jon can distribute both at the same time, and you put the one on PW you intend to keep. (Tight line spacing or a little bit bigger). I agree though, that it should be the same font - my eyes are not trained to see the difference you see with kerning.
I'm just saying if one likes the regular Charis and wants to keep it you can edit in Type Light 3.2 to have the same line spacing as the Compact version. You just match the Metrics values from the compact to the Regular version. It's easy to change.
Old 02-06-2013, 02:36 PM   #500
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Can Type Light 3.2 also change weight? If so, I'd try it. I've tried the program, but I am too inexperienced with programs such as these to be able to find the function
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 02:48 PM   #501
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
Can Type Light 3.2 also change weight? If so, I'd try it. I've tried the program, but I am too inexperienced with programs such as these to be able to find the function
No but you edit metrics, Change classification (Bold, Italic, Regular, Bold Italic), Rename a Font, Change Font Family and it's Free.

You can also resize a font but you need to understand how EM unit size works.

The Paid version can change weight the site says.

Last edited by Blossom; 02-06-2013 at 02:50 PM.
Old 02-06-2013, 02:55 PM   #502
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I know how em-units work.

If I can't keep using my educational license for FontCreator after I finish this course, then I'll stick with DejaVu Serif. I'm not going to pay for a program that I'll use maybe one or two times in the coming years. I like DejaVu Serif, Verdana, and Caecilia enough to not continually edit other fonts.

Last edited by Katsunami; 02-06-2013 at 02:57 PM.
Old 02-06-2013, 02:59 PM   #503
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
I know how em-units work.

If I can't keep using my educational license for FontCreator after I finish this course, then I'll stick with DejaVu Serif. I'm not going to pay for a program that I'll use maybe one or two times in the coming years. I like DejaVu Serif, Verdana, and Caecilia enough to not continually edit other fonts.
I got mine through my hubby's course. It's actually hubby's program. I agree it's a tad expensive no where near Photoshop or Office though. It's an older version but it does what it needs to do.
Old 02-07-2013, 05:27 AM   #504
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

I think I am finally there!

Tonight I was going through some backups and came across some back ups of my phone. Inside was one of the folder where I had the Nook app installed back when they used the font Amasis. I compared it to the Amasis I had been using which is old version from one of my font discs and I was shock at how different the Nook's version was.

So I added some weight and up it by 5% and I am in love!
I really love how sharp and crisp it in to read with. The version of Amasis MT is more rounded and bubble looking but this is really nice and readable. I really have no clue why Nook stop using it.

Now I am through with playing with fonts. Really I am this time!
I have all the fonts a person needs to read with: Caecilla Medium, Caecilia Condensed, Amasis, Amasis Condensed, Charis SIL, Gentium Book, Palatino Medium, Trebuchet, TheSans and Nokia Pure.

Ten fonts should be plenty right?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NewAmasis.png
Views:	359
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	100826  
Old 02-07-2013, 06:32 AM   #505
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I think if I keep reading this thread I'm going to die of analysis paralysis.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:16 AM   #506
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer

You will be reading this thread instead of books. What fun!

I'm just lucky to suddenly remember DejaVu Serif to be a free front, and I like it after it's made a bit fatter. So I've also found my "looks more like a book"-replacement of Caecilia.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:33 AM   #507
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
It's a pity you can't share your version of Amasis - it sounds wonderful.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 01:35 PM   #508
astmario
Connoisseur
astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Blossom could you write some quick tutorial for Font Creator 6.5, how to add weight, change line spacing...?
astmario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 04:49 PM   #509
new
K3, K4B, KDX, KFHD, PW1&2
new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4B, KDX3G, KFHD, PW1, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I think I am finally there!

Tonight I was going through some backups and came across some back ups of my phone. Inside was one of the folder where I had the Nook app installed back when they used the font Amasis. I compared it to the Amasis I had been using which is old version from one of my font discs and I was shock at how different the Nook's version was.

So I added some weight and up it by 5% and I am in love!
I really love how sharp and crisp it in to read with. The version of Amasis MT is more rounded and bubble looking but this is really nice and readable. I really have no clue why Nook stop using it.

Now I am through with playing with fonts. Really I am this time!
I have all the fonts a person needs to read with: Caecilla Medium, Caecilia Condensed, Amasis, Amasis Condensed, Charis SIL, Gentium Book, Palatino Medium, Trebuchet, TheSans and Nokia Pure.

Ten fonts should be plenty right?
I want this font!

How do I make my books on KFHD use these fonts? The Paperwhite seems to be better on most books without me changing them.
new is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 04:55 PM   #510
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by new View Post
I want this font!

How do I make my books on KFHD use these fonts? The Paperwhite seems to be better on most books without me changing them.
You don't with the KFHD. You can with the Kindle PW or the Kindle Touch. It seems to me that the Kindle apps are rather lackluster and feature poor.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote