Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

View Poll Results: How many ebooks do you have atm?
<10 18 12.24%
10 - 20 19 12.93%
20 - 40 13 8.84%
>40 97 65.99%
Voters: 147. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-15-2013, 08:47 PM   #61
DuskyRose
Guru
DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Palma, Kdle Scribe & Paperwhite, Kobo Eclipsa 2e & Libra 2, Ipads
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
I honestly don't get it.
1) The space is there. Why leave it empty if the device isn't giving you fits because of it?

2) Lots of fanfic is small. Some series may be lengthy, but contain short files. Some I 'merge' and some I haven't gotten around to.

3) I want a very large collection with me. I have a ton of ereaders, and don't know which one I'll grab on the way out. If I've started a book on one, and the other is easier to grab on the way out, there's a good chance the current book is on there.

4) An extra backup. In case I come home to find the house burned down or flooded, I have various storage backups, those on my device one of them. (I know of someone whose house burned down. Her lifetime collection of books suddenly gone. The idea freaks me out.)

5) I lived in Japan for three years, with a very sad English library, a very limited English book store, while too poor to order many and relatives who could never be talked into sending me any books at all in that time. A full ereader is my fuzzy, comfort blanket.

6) Practice for when I finally hit a nursing home and can only have a few things, an eReader being one of them. I want *all* my ebook friends with me. By that time, if they number in the millions, I'll want to have room for all of them.
DuskyRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:08 PM   #62
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Point #1 is interesting to me. As one who is trying to declutter a lot of areas of my life, physical and digital, I personally find the idea to be abhorrent. I love the clean aspect of my device. I turn it on and have one cover-view screen of books, two at most. That's what I have... the one I'm reading and two or three to choose from next. I love the stripped down nature of the Paperwhite... it just IS... I open it, I read... I close it, I'm done... when I finish a book I delete it immediately and move on to the next, chosen from the very clean front page. Amazon seems to have borrowed a page from the same Dieter Rams book of design as Apple did, strip away everything that is not necessary leaving only the essentials. Pure, simple, clean.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:14 PM   #63
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
EDIT: One less, apparently, than the number of characters required for a valid MobileRead post.
Yep..
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:42 AM   #64
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Yep..
? ......
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:49 AM   #65
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
? ......
Two too many dots
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:01 PM   #66
Tattncat
Bookworm
Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Tablet, Samsung Galaxy Tab3, Sony PRS700, Sony PRS505
I have a Nook Tablet and at the moment about 8200 ebooks, many of which are Public Domain.
Tattncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:01 PM   #67
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
Over 100, all my unread kindle books and what I have read since getting my pw just before xmas.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 06:44 AM   #68
Maggie May
Grand Sorcerer
Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: CYbook Gen3 and Sony PRS 3505 Kindle 3 G Nexus 7 iPad
I have 119 on my Kindle at the moment. I delete books after I have read them. Sometimes I'll keep a book if I think I might like to read it again.
Maggie May is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:33 AM   #69
Laine
Addict
Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O, Voyage
341. But I have older Kindles with more on them.
Laine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:06 PM   #70
maianhvk
whimsical
maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: current: PPW 4. brick: K3 & Voyage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
I honestly don't get it. 100 books per year is considered a fairly high target by many, even on these forums full of readers. 300 per year is a phenomenal rate that few accomplish, unless they're extremely short and easy books or the person has time to read all day. So.... 1000+ books means over 3 years for even the accomplished reader; basically the lifespan of most ereaders before people upgrade them! I see numbers here that translate (based on people's previously stated reading rates) to 10+ years!

I think some of you need your OCD meds to combat your hoarding.
Because I can never plan the book I'm gonna read next, unlike many here who only have a dozen at a time. Seriously, those who have a list of books already numbered for 2013 and 2014 and 2015, you have my respect

So I choose to have my library at hand.

(But I agree hoarding is a problem.)
maianhvk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ebooks, kindle, poll