Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-18-2011, 10:44 AM   #1
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
Actress sues Amazon for more than a million dollars

The news is reporting that an Asian actress is suing Amazon for more than a million dollars.

What did Amazon do to her?

They listed her date of birth on their IMDb website.

Amazon owns the IMDb website, a site that list information on movies and actors. The actress's suit claims that she had signed up for something called IMDBpro, which required a credit card for billing. Shortly after providing the credit card information her D.O.B. appeared on the IMDb site, so her conclusion is that they ran her credit information and got her birth date illegally.

She claims she was harmed because she is almost 40 but looks much younger, and studios wouldn't want to hire her if they knew she was almost 40.

The lawsuit doesn't reveal who the actress is but I'm all for speculating anyway. I'm sure it is probably some no name actress, but who knows.

When I first read the story the person who first came to mind was Grace Park, the actress who played Sharon on Battlestar Galactica, and who now works on Hawaii Five-O. She is almost 40 and looks a lot younger (she's also smok'in hot). However, it says the actress is from Texas, and according to Wikipedia Grace Park isn't.

Lucy Liu is also about 40 and looks a lot younger, but I doubt it is her either.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 10:47 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daithi View Post
Amazon owns the IMDb website, a site that list information on movies and actors. The actress's suit claims that she had signed up for something called IMDBpro, which required a credit card for billing. Shortly after providing the credit card information her D.O.B. appeared on the IMDb site, so her conclusion is that they ran her credit information and got her birth date illegally.
Sounds like a classic case of "post hoc ergo propter hoc", to me.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-18-2011, 10:49 AM   #3
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Well, if it's true, it's definitely a no-no on Amazon's part. It might be fair use to run a credit review for service, but publishing results of said review is definitely off-limits.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 10:50 AM   #4
howyoudoin
how YOU doin?
howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro 10.5”, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
Should the movie studios now sue her for misinformation about her age?
howyoudoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 10:56 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
Well, if it's true, it's definitely a no-no on Amazon's part. It might be fair use to run a credit review for service, but publishing results of said review is definitely off-limits.
That why I said it looks like a case of "post hoc ergo propter hoc" ("after this, therefore because of this"). You can't reasonably conclude that, because she submitted her date of birth on a credit card application, that's where IMDb got the information from. Birth certificates are in the public domain - your date of birth cannot be considered confidential information.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-18-2011, 11:01 AM   #6
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
Quote:
I agree with Harry. I don't think that just because she provided Amazon with her credit card that she can conclude Amazon used to get her date of birth. Her DOB could have easily came from some other valid source.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 11:04 AM   #7
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...
MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi (broken), nook STR (returned), Kobo Touch, Sony T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daithi View Post
I agree with Harry. I don't think that just because she provided Amazon with her credit card that she can conclude Amazon used to get her date of birth. Her DOB could have easily came from some other valid source.
^This.

She could have entered it herself. It is crazy easy to locate someone's DOB.
MrsJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 11:49 AM   #8
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Hollywood types act like they have a right to show up and stage any kind of drama they please in the public eye.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 11:49 AM   #9
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
That why I said it looks like a case of "post hoc ergo propter hoc" ("after this, therefore because of this"). You can't reasonably conclude that, because she submitted her date of birth on a credit card application, that's where IMDb got the information from. Birth certificates are in the public domain - your date of birth cannot be considered confidential information.
I think we just need to get the evidence concerning the history of information provided by the actress. It may be "post hoc ergo propter hoc" (faulty causality), but it's not like there's a big trail to follow. She probably signed up for imdb. What information did she give and what did she consent to usage wise? What information did she give and consent to usage wise when she signed up for the pro option? It's not rocket science and it should be pretty easy to prove. Now, it might be entirely coincidental that age showed up after the pro and if she gave birth information when originally signing up then as you stated she's out of luck really.

I'm guessing it's probably as you stated, but we do need the rest of the facts to prove fault on either party.
Old 10-18-2011, 11:52 AM   #10
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer

I just checked you have to enter a year of birth to sign up for IMDB. I couldn't find anything in the privacy policy about use of said year (other than they need it to prove you're at least 13 years old).

So, unless she lied to imdb...
Old 10-18-2011, 12:01 PM   #11
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
I just checked you have to enter a year of birth to sign up for IMDB. I couldn't find anything in the privacy policy about use of said year (other than they need it to prove you're at least 13 years old).

This is true but, unless things have changed, if you already have a record in IMDB, your user account is not linked to your entry. You can only have an entry (page) if you have a verified credit, and those are generally entered by someone at the production company who gets the thankless job of putting in ALL the info for a film or TV production.

So, if you want to update/edit your own info, you have to sign up as a user, and then be able to verify the info you add/change just like anyone else who submits adds/edits. The process of updating an IMDB entry is rather detailed, and the verification needed depends on what type of info is being added/changed. Having a Pro membership alleviates some of this, but not all of it.

I would not be surprised at all if they ultimately reveal that the information was submitted by an agent, family member, or other person who would have verifiable access to her birthdate.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 12:15 PM   #12
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...
MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

I was thinking it was something like that.

If IMDB is owned by Amazon it makes sense. PLUS she probably has an amazon account...and Amazon requires a lot of information. They do not really tell you what they use the info for.
Old 10-18-2011, 12:19 PM   #13
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
I'm astounded that she thinks she's been so badly harmed by the release of accurate information that she needs more than a million bucks.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 12:27 PM   #14
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
I'm astounded that she thinks she's been so badly harmed by the release of accurate information that she needs more than a million bucks.
She probably needs the money.
Old 10-18-2011, 12:45 PM   #15
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
I really want to know who it is so I can laugh at her.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote