Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 02-28-2011, 10:48 PM   #16
jager31702
jager31702 began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs-600
I recently set the split size to something ridiculously high, like 6mb so that there shouldn't be an issue.
jager31702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 10:55 PM   #17
jager31702
jager31702 began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs-600
Ok...I can't explain WHY. but it seems that if I convert and transfer each of my books individually instead of in bulk, they load properly. Problem not solved per se, but solution found. Thanks for all the help everyone. You gave me more ideas in case I need to troubleshoot again!
jager31702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 10:58 PM   #18
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by jager31702 View Post
Every single converted file does it regardless of file type. I did a hard reset on my reader once before, but I may give it another try. I went into the preferences as you suggested, but everything was fine. I never altered anything there before. I also just checked my epub files on calibre and they are showing up fine on my pc. Does it make a difference that I did a bulk convert of files instead of an individual convert for each file? If so, I will convert each individually and try that.
It is hard to imagine any way this could be a calibre issue, but I'm willing to inspect a ePub file closer to see if something pops out.

Quote:
I recently set the split size to something ridiculously high, like 6mb so that there shouldn't be an issue.
Set split size (in epub output) back to 260k and leave it alone if you expect any book you convert to epub to work after conversion.

Also after changing this setting select all books, go to edit metadata and remove stored conversion settings from selected books (see attached)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	remove conversionsettings.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	149.7 KB
ID:	67541  

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 02-28-2011 at 11:07 PM. Reason: Removed bogus recommendation based on new info.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 11:11 PM   #19
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Do you have 7Megs of free memory in your reader?
Didn't think so

That setting affects the size if a split, NOT the size of the epub . You did not just choke your reader. You strangled it, wrapped it in saran, cast it in cement, stomped on it

Your PC DOES have 7M of RAM. that is why that worked.

is a tried and true number
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 11:17 PM   #20
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
is a tried and true number
Just a note for the OP, the Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) epub renderer built into the prs-600 requires the split to be smaller than 300k. Stick with the default of 260k.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 04:30 AM   #21
hixhix
hixhix began at the beginning.

Device: none
I got the same problem, I'm using Calibre v0.7.49, Kindle 3. I just converted 300 books from prc to pdf (none is drm protected), the pdf looks fine on computer, but my kindle only shows the first 10 pages properly while the rest is blank. This happens with all 300 books that I converted. Weird.
hixhix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 07:21 AM   #22
Howdshedodat
Howdshedodat began at the beginning.

Device: Sony
Oh my god I have the same problem! I have a PRS-600 and I write a lot so sometimes I'll convert a file to PDF to take with me on a commute to work so that I can do some editing on the bus by making notes, then taking it home and comparing it side by side with my document. It worked fine when I did it with my old reader, but dear god it only displays the first few pages, yet the epubs I buy from B&N .com show up just fine! I thought the reader was broken at first but if I can read say, Harry Potter on it, why can't I read my own books? It's so frustrating! They showup fine and at full length on my PC (I run Windows seven on my Dell Inspiron and use Adobe Reader 9) even if I try different free converters online it just wont work!
Howdshedodat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 12:03 PM   #23
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
I have not heard of any bug that gives the symptoms that you describe.

Also it is not clear exactly what format you are talking about having problems with. In the first sentence you talk about creating a PDF file (which is a horrible format for an ebook BTW), and then later you talk about epub working fine. If the problem is with PDF, why are you not converting your own books to epub which is a better format for use with a PRS-600?
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote