Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: July 2011 Mobile Read Book Club Vote
Wicked by Gregory Maguire 8 10.53%
A Discovery of Witches: A Novel by Deborah Harkness 2 2.63%
The Name of the Wind: The Kingkiller Chronicle: Day One by Patrick Rothfuss 17 22.37%
Storm Front: Book one of The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher 11 14.47%
A Game Of Thrones by George R. R. Martin 16 21.05%
The Fairy Godmother (book 1 in Five Hundred Kingdoms series) by Mercedes Lackey 2 2.63%
The Winds of Khalakovo by Bradley P. Beaulieu 2 2.63%
Stardust by Neil Gaiman 10 13.16%
The Voyage of the Minotaur by Wesley Allison 6 7.89%
The Alchemyst: The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel, Book 1 by Michael Scott 2 2.63%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-30-2011, 09:48 AM   #46
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
How about August 1st? That would give us a month to read it, and The Wizard of Oz, too, if anyone wants to compare the versions.
I'm in!
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 04:12 PM   #47
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Who voted for something other then what you would have voted for because you thought your vote for what you really wanted would have been a wasted vote?

Who waits to vote to see what close and then votes for one of those?

If anyone can honestly say yes to either question, then we NEED a blind vote to make this fair.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-30-2011, 04:50 PM   #48
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Who voted for something other then what you would have voted for because you thought your vote for what you really wanted would have been a wasted vote?

Who waits to vote to see what close and then votes for one of those?

If anyone can honestly say yes to either question, then we NEED a blind vote to make this fair.
Jon...Bob has already told us that he has no problem doing a blind vote, but that the software doesn't support it (as yet). He also offered to talk to the powers that be, to see if it could become an option. I know you want someone to do it manually, but obviously no one is willing or able to take on that responsibility. I am a SAHM (during the summer anyway) but I still wouldn't want to be in charge of keeping a tally; goodness forbid there is a miscount somehow, with neither a fail-safe nor back up.
You need to back off. There are people, like myself, who a agree with the idea, but you have to accept that it is not a possibility at this particular moment in time.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 05:40 PM   #49
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Come on Game of Thrones! Three hours left and so close!
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 08:16 PM   #50
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:
How about August 1st? That would give us a month to read it, and The Wizard of Oz, too, if anyone wants to compare the versions.
Sounds good to me too! There is the lull at the end of the month to take advantage of.
Advert
Old 06-30-2011, 08:37 PM   #51
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
So... The Name of the Wind: The Kingkiller Chronicle: Day One by Patrick Rothfuss it is.

Happy reading, everyone!
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 08:49 PM   #52
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
I know this is a busy month what with the selection itself and some reading Wicked and Wizard of Oz, but is anyone else interested in reading Game of Thrones this month? If no one else is, that's definitely understandable with all the choices, but already having it on my to-read list, then having fantasy as a category this month and seeing it do so well in the voting is really making me want to go ahead and read it now.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 09:16 PM   #53
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I'm in!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet53 View Post
Sounds good to me too! There is the lull at the end of the month to take advantage of.
Sounds good. I'll mark it on my calendar and start a thread then. I just bought the Wizard of Oz also.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 11:09 PM   #54
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
OK - if Wicked is the choice, I may try to squeeze that in if I can to have a chat with you all (I own the paperback already just never read it). I'll try to join in on Name of the Wind as well but won't reread at this stage.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 11:36 PM   #55
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
Got Name of the Wind on my ereader... will start tonight, when I get home from work. Happy reading, everyone!

I plan on reading Game of Thrones soon as well, but I doubt I'll get to it this month. Wicked... eventually.
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 06:46 AM   #56
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:
Sounds good. I'll mark it on my calendar and start a thread then. I just bought the Wizard of Oz also.
Just for the interest of others. Mobileread source for Frank L Baum Oz books.
Old 07-01-2011, 10:21 AM   #57
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
A winner by 1 vote:

The Name of the Wind: The Kingkiller Chronicle: Day One by Patrick Rothfuss

Good night and good luck.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 12:19 PM   #58
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
I know this is a busy month what with the selection itself and some reading Wicked and Wizard of Oz, but is anyone else interested in reading Game of Thrones this month? If no one else is, that's definitely understandable with all the choices, but already having it on my to-read list, then having fantasy as a category this month and seeing it do so well in the voting is really making me want to go ahead and read it now.
I might not get a chance to reread Game of Thrones this month, but I would be interesting in participating in a discussion on it.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 04:39 PM   #59
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
A winner by 1 vote:

The Name of the Wind: The Kingkiller Chronicle: Day One by Patrick Rothfuss

Good night and good luck.

BOb
Started reading it last night. Got about one hundred pages into it.... so far, I am really glad it was voted. I REALLY want to say more, but I am trying to contain myself...

Back to reading now....
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 05:06 PM   #60
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by vxf View Post
Started reading it last night. Got about one hundred pages into it.... so far, I am really glad it was voted. I REALLY want to say more, but I am trying to contain myself...

Back to reading now....
NO, but you said enough to make me totally want to start reading it right now... But I'm right in the middle of _The Gods Themselves_.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote