Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 11-05-2010, 05:44 PM   #1
grimo1re
Geekette
grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Sony Reader PRS500, PocketBook 360
Unhappy Deeply unhappy with the 360

I was so happy when I finally got to open my PB 360 on my birthday in September. I was a bit disappointed when it turned out the firmware was buggy but I asked for help here in the forum to install a different firmware version and that solved some of the freezes and I had hoped it would fix all the weird issues I've got.

However, I still find the whole device buggy as hell. Books rarely remember where I was, it's usually a few pages back or from a few reading sessions ago. Bookmarks don't seem to work. Some books I get started in and then the device never lets me open the file again. It's so bloody slow to start up. Connecting to the PC is painful because even though I've selected PC Link in the settings for what to do when the USB is connected, it's hit and miss whether it will actually open the PC link or select charging instead. And the wing button to go page forward sometimes randomly elects to go 2 pages forward at a time and sometimes one page forward and one page back so you stay where you are. And it doesn't matter what I do - it has a mind of its own.

I was hoping to get FB reader to work with the whole wrist turn page turning but I find it only works for a little while and then 'wears off' and I have to go back to the buttons anyway. I can't get the wrist turning to work in bed to my satisfaction. (but in all fairness perhaps that's a degree setting issue and some of you can help me with that).

The net result is that I'm actually deeply unhappy with the device and I'm considering selling it. I wonder if there's any Aussies here that have more patience than me that would like it?
grimo1re is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 05:59 PM   #2
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
From what I read on this forum, the problem with remembering not the last page, but a few pages back might come from the reflow. For example, if the piece of text that you are looking at (your last page) would be at the bottom of the page in the original formatting, the reader will take you at the beginning of that original format page, a few pages back from your point of view.

And for the problem with connecting to the PC for charging, they said that it would work if the reader is off when you make the connection.

I don't know about the rest.
Sil_liS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 06:02 PM   #3
grimo1re
Geekette
grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sil_liS View Post
And for the problem with connecting to the PC for charging, they said that it would work if the reader is off when you make the connection.

I don't know about the rest.
I've tried it all - the thing has a mind of its own
Old 11-05-2010, 06:13 PM   #4
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimo1re View Post
I've tried it all - the thing has a mind of its own
I would try a warranty claim.
My device never showed any of the above described symptoms.

What program do you use for reading? FBReader, or epub reader?
Have you tried to delete the main memory - set it to factory defaults?
What firmware do you have installed? I have got good results with 15.3 beta.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 06:27 PM   #5
grimo1re
Geekette

I've got 14.2 installed and was using FBReader before but I'm not now. Is FBReader better?

Re warranty claim: you know what? I just don't have the energy right now and I just want to read a book without aggravation. But I might have to.
Old 11-05-2010, 07:05 PM   #6
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I've got 14.2 installed and was using FBReader before but I'm not now. Is FBReader better?
Several people reported that installing 15.3 beta firmware solved their problems
Old 11-05-2010, 07:26 PM   #7
grimo1re
Geekette

Where do you get that one from?
Old 11-05-2010, 08:26 PM   #8
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...=76847&page=28

read down afew posts in that thread.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 03:57 AM   #9
kacir
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...=76847&page=28

read down a few posts in that thread.
Please do not refer to the post using Page.
It takes ME to different location than YOU. This is because in User preferences (Edit options -> Number of Posts to Show Per Page) you can set how many posts you want to see per page. The number ranges between 5 and 40. So depending on your setting page 28 takes you to the post number (27*5)+1 or (27*40)+1

If you need to refer to the post.
1. Click on the number at the upper right corner. This takes you to the individual post.
2. now click on the name of thread at the top of the individual post you are seeing.
3. copy and paste the URL, like this:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...60#post1195460
The address above takes you to the post 406
406 = (15*27)+1
because 15 is the default number of posts in thread.
Old 11-16-2010, 01:41 AM   #10
grimo1re
Geekette

Sorry for the delay, got sick in between posts....

Anyway, I also contacted support and they suggested I do some sort of memory reset thing. Which I did. Not sure that fixed the problems, did introduce new issues!

Also, can't find that new firmware but I suppose I'll hold off on that and write back to support first anyway.

*sigh* why can't it just work?
Old 11-16-2010, 05:07 AM   #11
Hypernova
Hyperreader
Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: Current: Boox Leaf2 (broken) Past: H2O, Kindle PW1, DXG;Pocketbook 360
About PC link, mine is consistently connect to PC if turned on (wait for booting up to completely finished) before pluged in, and consistently just charging if turned off when pluged in. It never does otherwise. I don't know if this behavior is documented though. Hope this helps.

Edit: I think it is doing the charging in either mode.
Hypernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 09:52 AM   #12
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Where do you get that one from?
Here's a post with a link.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndecisiveMe View Post
Don't use 15.1, it was highly unstable. Go for either 14.2 or 15.3b, which is still in beta testing, but Pocketbook reps here said it should be in public release "this week", so soon, I guess.

You can find 15.3b here..

http://pocketbook-global.com/downloa...0_ru_15_3b.zip
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 02:32 AM   #13
grimo1re
Geekette

Well, following conversations with support I've sent it off to be repaired. I really hope I'll get my device back the way it was always meant to be