Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-03-2013, 03:01 AM   #1
AcidWeb
KCC Co-Author
AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
Special MOBI files and sideloading

Hi,

I'm author of tool that prepare special KF8 MOBI comic type files. And I have small QA issue. Files produced by my software should not be touched or reconverted by any means during uploading it to Kindle through Calibre. It simply corrupt my files. Calibre don't parse comic type MOBI correctly. (Not a bug - more like missing feature.)

Obviously that completely depend on end user Calibre settings and I highly doubt there is some proper solution - but I have to ask:

There is any way to mark MOBI file on header level that will tell Calibre to don't touch it in any way during sideloading?

Some technical stuff about my conversion process:
  • Program create EPUB file with embedded Amazon code - Panel View support.
  • EPUB file is converted with KindleGen. I hate that program but it is only software on planet that create comic type MOBI correctly.
  • Ready MOBI is handled by modified KindleUnpack that extract KF8 part and set header 501 to EBOK. ASIN is intentionally left empty.
  • File is ready. And it is working perfectly on Kindle (And only there. Even Calibre build-in reader parse it wrong.) - if no other converter touched it before uploading.

Thank you in advance.

Last edited by AcidWeb; 11-03-2013 at 03:12 AM.
AcidWeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 03:21 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
All calibre does during sideloading is update metadata. And no there is no header field that can be set to tell calibre to not update metadata.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-03-2013, 03:25 AM   #3
AcidWeb
KCC Co-Author
AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

OK. Thank you. If that is all what Calibre do during sideloading then everything is caused by additional conversion started by user.

I will use bigger letters in documentation about this issue and hope that people start to read it :-)
Old 11-03-2013, 03:50 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
The only time calibre does a conversion during sending is if the book does not exist in a format supported by the device being sent to. And this can be controlled by the user by right clicking the device icon in calibre and setting which formats the device supports.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 04:03 AM   #5
AcidWeb
KCC Co-Author

Yep. I think that some people just force AZW usage (or found other creative way to break things :-)). I received only handful of reports about problems with Calibre. So I think that I can categorize all cases of this problem as PEBKAC :-)
Advert
Old 11-06-2013, 03:04 PM   #6
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
The default format used by Calibre for the Kindle is MOBI. Some users (like me) change that and set the default format to AZW3.

If users do this, AND disable MOBI as a format, then Calibre will convert your book to AZW3 before sending it.

Just tell people to not disable the MOBI format. AZW3 can be the default format, but Calibre will still send the MOBI file if that is the only one available, IF the format is enabled.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 03:07 PM   #7
AcidWeb
KCC Co-Author

Yep. I already come to the same conclusions.

Last edited by AcidWeb; 11-06-2013 at 03:12 PM.