Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 12-15-2016, 09:32 AM   #1
3dusty
Connoisseur
3dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.3dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.3dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.3dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.3dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.3dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.3dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.3dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.3dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.3dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.3dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Google Nexus 7
Android Tablet

My google nexus 7 (2012) is about to give up on me. It has slowed down to the point that it takes 20 minutes for a book to open, then page turns take forever.

I've not kept up with tablets. I would like to stick with android. Do you have any recommends on what is out there for reading on, with some netflix movie watching that is reasonably priced?

Thanks
Leslie
3dusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 09:34 AM   #2
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dusty View Post
My google nexus 7 (2012) is about to give up on me. It has slowed down to the point that it takes 20 minutes for a book to open, then page turns take forever.

I've not kept up with tablets. I would like to stick with android. Do you have any recommends on what is out there for reading on, with some netflix movie watching that is reasonably priced?

Thanks
Leslie
First, what do you think is reasonably priced? Second, what size do you prefer?
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-15-2016, 01:44 PM   #3
3dusty
Connoisseur
3dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.3dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.3dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.3dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.3dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.3dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.3dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.3dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.3dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.3dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.3dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Probably stick close to the nexus with a 7 or 8 inch tablet, and price hopefully under $300.00.
Old 12-15-2016, 07:08 PM   #4
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
I don't know which country you're in, which will affect price, but you might like to have a look at some reviews of the Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 8.0". It has a 3:4 aspect ratio screen (2048 x 1536px AMOLED) which should be a good size for reading. Not necessarily the most portable device though.

Caveat: It's a later model than my own 8" Samsung tablet so I can't give it a based on personal experience.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 07:42 PM   #5
3dusty
Connoisseur

Thanks. I'll go check this out.
Advert
Old 12-15-2016, 09:31 PM   #6
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
While I agree that the S2 8" is a very nice tablet it's also pretty expensive. Right now it's on sale, probably till Christmas, and within your budget, but normally it's quite a bit over $300.

These days most good Android tablets are between $125 and $175. Some good choices are the Asus Zenpad S and the Acer A1-840FHD. These are both 8" tablets. The Asus has a 4:3 aspect ratio and the Acer has a 16:9 aspect ratio. I have the Acer and it's got a really fine screen.

https://www.amazon.com/Asus-Zenpad-Z...words=zenpad+s

I'm not saying these are better than the S2. They're not, but they're very good and they cost a lot less.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 10:36 PM   #7
Tikker
Zealot
Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4, Galaxy S7, Kobo Aura
i really prefer the reading mode on the samsung tablets (I've not seen this on others, but it's possible it exists?)
Tikker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 12:23 AM   #8
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
I would recommend Nvidia shield K1.

http://www.gsmarena.com/nvidia_shield_k1-7832.php

Or if you can get your hands on a xiomi mi pad 2

http://www.gsmarena.com/xiaomi_mi_pad_2-7770.php

I am in the same boat as you looking for a good Android tablet. These 2 so far have the best price to spec I have found. I am leaning towards Nvidia as I already own its nvidia shield tv. Though Xiaomi screen is making the decision difficult but Nvidia is very good with the os and software updates and fixes.
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 09:23 AM   #9
peaceridge
Guru
peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura1, Nexus7.2, Galaxy Tab A 8.4, Ipad Air & Mini 6
FYI Samsung Galaxy's have the hard button that takes you back to the main screen. If reading in landscape mode, I continually, accidentally, kept hitting it and going out of my book to the main screen. I no longer use my Galaxys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
I don't know which country you're in, which will affect price, but you might like to have a look at some reviews of the Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 8.0". It has a 3:4 aspect ratio screen (2048 x 1536px AMOLED) which should be a good size for reading. Not necessarily the most portable device though.

Caveat: It's a later model than my own 8" Samsung tablet so I can't give it a based on personal experience.
peaceridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 02:41 PM   #10
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Ebay still has cheap refurbished nexus 7s if you like your current model.

You have been asked how much do you want to spend, and what size. I would add what ratio, 4 3 or 16 10. Latter is better for video, some prefer former for reading.
Some makes, models have no upgrades for marshmallow, but that it more of a techie thing than a user requirement, unless it affects favourite apps.
E.g. my previous LENOVO was at android 5.01. Bbc I player had a long running incompatibility with that, only got fixed several months after I bought that tabet. Conversely, the virgin media tv app is fine with old android versions but does not work on some new android 6 tablets, like the pixel c

Last edited by stumped; 12-16-2016 at 02:48 PM.
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 03:38 PM   #11
3dusty
Connoisseur

Thanks everyone. I'm not technical at all and hadn't even considered screen ratios. I'm off to investigate your suggestions!
Old 12-16-2016, 04:35 PM   #12
Ranny
Connoisseur
Ranny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ranny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ranny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ranny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ranny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ranny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ranny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ranny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ranny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ranny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ranny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Surely the new Amazon HD 8 would tick your boxes? From £85.49 in the UK. One of our young uns has the 10 and it feels far more android than early fires.
Ranny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 12:04 AM   #13
diremommy
Zealot
diremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: Zenpad S 8, iPad mini 2
I've had the Zenpad S 8 linked upthread for over a year now, and it's great. It's my dedicated reading device, as well as web surfing in bed, and it hasn't given me a bit of trouble. If you're in the US, it's going for 169.99 on Amazon right now, and there's a slightly lower end version going for 119.99, which still has very good reviews.
diremommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 12:12 PM   #14
3dusty
Connoisseur

Thanks everyone. I just ordered the Zenpad S 8. Should be here Wednesday. Looking forward to reading instead of waiting for pages turn!
Old 12-26-2016, 01:57 PM   #15
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
I got my ZenPad S8 this Saturday. I must say I really like it, but I'll be happy when the z stylus arrives. My fingers just are too thick for any real selections (I really liked my Galaxy Note 8.0)...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote