Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-04-2021, 06:22 PM   #16
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by sensualspirit View Post
So I saw the terrible reviews for the Nook 3, especially about the buttons sticking & then turning 3-4 pages at a time, they said DLing books was a pain & it was slow.

The buttons on that one aren't the same, do you think the Nook 4 would have the same issue?

I don't know Barnes & Noble products so I don't know if this is normal for them to sell a product that has so many issues or what.

Sounds like tech support on live chat is overseas & they are incompetent.
I have had no issues with buttons on my 2019 Nook.

As to downloading, can't say, I sideload all my books.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 06:34 PM   #17
sensualspirit
sensualspirit began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
As you have a registered Kindle, the simplest way is to use the download & transfer via USB option (this option exists only for those who have a physical Kindle device). That will give you a file you can download to your computer, remove the DRM and convert as needed.
Ok, thanks.

So you are outside the US, did you get your e-readers shipped to you overseas?

Why do you have so many different kinds? LOL
sensualspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 06:38 PM   #18
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Ok, thanks.

So you are outside the US, did you get your e-readers shipped to you overseas?

Why do you have so many different kinds? LOL
The Kobos and Kindle Oasis were shipped from Europe (France and Germany). The Nook was shipped from the US.

I have so many because I'm addicted to ereaders. And that's actually not so unusual on this forum. Many long-time members here have several ereaders.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 07:12 PM   #19
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
You mean sideload all of the books I have on it now? Or you are talking about any new books I buy?

The DRM isn't the issue for me, it's just all that work if you are talking about reformating the current Kindle & putting them all back which I thought I could just copy to a folder & copy back onto the Kindle.

I've never gotten a book from Amazon without it going onto the Kindle using wifi. How do you get it off of Amazon?

Thanks
I'll just give a universal answer of most likely any book you have in calibre (mobi, azw, ..., epub, lit, lrf, ...) with stripped DRM can be sideloaded to a new Kindle.

And since you already have a Kindle, any purchases you make in the future you will be able to put into calibre, as was mentioned by someone else, "transfer using USB".

To me, it isn't that much effort, YMMV.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 09:20 PM   #20
LDB
Baker Street Irregular
LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PaperWhite 5, Aura One, Glowlight Plus, Scribe, Sage
I have a few ereaders. I use the Kindles by far the most and the Kobo some. I never use the Nook. It may be great and I don't know it but the various K's do everything I want to do so I never bother with it. Good luck with your decisions.
LDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 06:36 AM   #21
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Hi all,

So I have been using a Kindle 3 since around 2012 & I loved it.

I bought them both used.

Well suddenly the reader is having issues where when I turn it on, it keeps starting from zero books & then loads all of the books back into it which takes several minutes. This has happened almost 10 times now.

When I called Amazon, they said they are no longer offering support for that device, & if I reformat it, I will lose all of my books.

I have both Amazon books on there plus other books I put on there by connecting it to my computer.

They said I'm not allowed to do that because I asked, why can't I just copy the books to a folder on my computer & then put them back after reformatting.

Maybe someone can help me with that, but if I can't buy any new books from Amazon b/c Amazon won't send them there, then this is going to be a problem.

The reason I didn't buy a new Kindle a few years back is BECAUSE they removed a very important feature where you can turn the page with just your thumb on either side of the reader.

I was furious when they removed this ergonomic user friendly feature.

They put it back in one version, but they didn't put it where it was before which was on the side. They put it next to the glass part which means you will hurt yourself trying to reach out there to turn the page. I'm not even sure you can do that with one finger without having to use 2 hands. There's no point in even looking for that feature if you have to use 2 hands.

On Amazon I just saw another woman complaining about the same issue because she bought a new Kindle which of course didn't have that feature. SMH

I'm also looking for something where I decide whether I want wifi turned on, because I won't turn it on unless I need it.

And no bluetooth.

I'm looking for a reader that will allow me to use my computer to put files or books on it that I don't buy from Amazon & I don't care if it's older (I'll look on ebay), so long as when I do buy books from Amazon I can still send them there because it's supported.

Am I forced to ONLY buy a Kindle otherwise if I buy a book from Amazon it won't go on another kind of device?

I briefly looked at a Kobo & it also doesn't seem to have the page turn buttons & is way more expensive.

Is that it, just Kindle & Kobo?

Thank you for any help you can give me.
First of all, it has never been Amazon's policy that you can't put non-Amazon books onto your device. The customer service rep was mistaken. They even created an app (send to kindle) that will allow you to put them on there over wireless.

Second, you can definitely back all of your books up to your computer and put them back onto the device without removing DRM, as long as you are putting them back onto the same device.

As others have said, you can put your books from Amazon onto any other device as long as you remove the DRM from them. Others have given you excellent advice about other brands, but I want to address your statement about the buttons on newer Kindles. I had a Kindle 3 (I still actually have one, but it doesn't work well anymore--only holds a charge for about 30 minutes...I keep it out of sentimentality.) I agree that the buttons on it are in the best location. I now have an Oasis with the buttons. While the buttons are not as well placed as the ones on the K3, they are only 1/4 of an inch from the side of the device, and I still just rest my thumb on the side...I just roll it slightly in toward the screen to push the button. You can choose whether to use the top or bottom button to page forward, depending on which is more comfortable (I use the bottom, because I have short fingers).

The wifi does not have to be on all of the time, nor does the bluetooth. (I've never used the bluetooth on mine)

I'm not trying to push you to getting a new Kindle, just clearing up some misconceptions.

I wish you luck in your quest.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 03:52 PM   #22
sensualspirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
First of all, it has never been Amazon's policy that you can't put non-Amazon books onto your device. The customer service rep was mistaken. They even created an app (send to kindle) that will allow you to put them on there over wireless.

Second, you can definitely back all of your books up to your computer and put them back onto the device without removing DRM, as long as you are putting them back onto the same device.

As others have said, you can put your books from Amazon onto any other device as long as you remove the DRM from them. Others have given you excellent advice about other brands, but I want to address your statement about the buttons on newer Kindles. I had a Kindle 3 (I still actually have one, but it doesn't work well anymore--only holds a charge for about 30 minutes...I keep it out of sentimentality.) I agree that the buttons on it are in the best location. I now have an Oasis with the buttons. While the buttons are not as well placed as the ones on the K3, they are only 1/4 of an inch from the side of the device, and I still just rest my thumb on the side...I just roll it slightly in toward the screen to push the button. You can choose whether to use the top or bottom button to page forward, depending on which is more comfortable (I use the bottom, because I have short fingers).

The wifi does not have to be on all of the time, nor does the bluetooth. (I've never used the bluetooth on mine)

I'm not trying to push you to getting a new Kindle, just clearing up some misconceptions.

I wish you luck in your quest.

Shari
Thank you Shari.

The Oasis is on the expensive side for me & I only see buttons on the right side, not the left, correct?

Do you know of any other older Kindle that had the buttons on both sides since the K3?

So once they stop giving me support on the K3, I somehow have to get the books I buy onto the K3 thru Calibre? Assuming I can fix it with a factory reset?

I don't trust anyone at Amazon, they always make mistakes & that's even the Americans I manage to get, but there are no Americans in the Kindle dept. That I figured out years ago.

I assume what the guy was saying is that b/c they don't support it, I can't get the book via wireless.

I think that's stupid. I actually am pretty sure Amazon is the one screwing with my K3 now that I know that they are discontinuing it at the end of Dec.

All of a sudden it starts doing this just this month? It makes no sense & too much of a coincidence.

Thanks a ton
Old 12-05-2021, 03:53 PM   #23
sensualspirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I'll just give a universal answer of most likely any book you have in calibre (mobi, azw, ..., epub, lit, lrf, ...) with stripped DRM can be sideloaded to a new Kindle.

And since you already have a Kindle, any purchases you make in the future you will be able to put into calibre, as was mentioned by someone else, "transfer using USB".

To me, it isn't that much effort, YMMV.
Right, I just don't know how to get the book from my Amazon acct. to Calibre. I've never done that before.

Thanks
Old 12-05-2021, 03:54 PM   #24
sensualspirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDB View Post
I have a few ereaders. I use the Kindles by far the most and the Kobo some. I never use the Nook. It may be great and I don't know it but the various K's do everything I want to do so I never bother with it. Good luck with your decisions.
Thank you
Old 12-05-2021, 04:02 PM   #25
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Right, I just don't know how to get the book from my Amazon acct. to Calibre. I've never done that before.

Thanks
I'm not a Kindle user, but I've heard of 2 ways (maybe 3).

1. From the Amazon website book content page, there is a "download and transfer with USB. This was mentioned earlier in the thread.

2. Use an old version of Kindle for PC

3. Get the book off of a Kindle

And I personally use method 2, even though I don't have a Kindle.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 04:45 PM   #26
Canis_lupus
Enthusiast
Canis_lupus has become one with the cosmosCanis_lupus has become one with the cosmosCanis_lupus has become one with the cosmosCanis_lupus has become one with the cosmosCanis_lupus has become one with the cosmosCanis_lupus has become one with the cosmosCanis_lupus has become one with the cosmosCanis_lupus has become one with the cosmosCanis_lupus has become one with the cosmosCanis_lupus has become one with the cosmosCanis_lupus has become one with the cosmos

Device: K2, K3, Touch, K5B, Voyage, PW4, Oasis 1, 2 & 3, PW5
The Oasis can be turned in any orientation so it can be used in the right or left hand. The screen flips.

The Kindle 4 and 5 have page turn buttons on both sides. They do not have a built in light or touchscreen. Like the Kindle Keyboard they have been discontinued years ago but still work.

The Voyage has sensors on both sides of the screen to turn pages that mimic page turn buttons. This has a built in white front light and touch screen and is also discontinued.

The only current Kindle with page turn buttons is the Oasis.
Canis_lupus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 04:48 PM   #27
LDB
Baker Street Irregular
LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PaperWhite 5, Aura One, Glowlight Plus, Scribe, Sage
Quote:
Thank you Shari.

The Oasis is on the expensive side for me & I only see buttons on the right side, not the left, correct?

Do you know of any other older Kindle that had the buttons on both sides since the K3?
When you turn the Oasis 180 degrees to put the buttons on the opposite side the display automatically rotates. You don't need the expense of a second set of buttons as the ones there work for both sides.
LDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 10:02 PM   #28
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

Thanks
You can still download your books using the K3, as long as the wifi is still working on it--there are people that are still using them...as I said before, I have one and I am able to download books using it.

As to getting your books from Amazon into Calibre, as long as you have a Kindle registered to your account, you can go to your Amazon account and click on the "Content and Devices" link under the "Account and lists" dropdown. From there, you'll see a list of all of your books. On the right, across from the title and book cover, you'll see 3 buttons. "Deliver or remove from device", "Mark as Read", and "More actions". If you click the "More actions" button, the second choice is "Download and Transfer via USB" Click on that and follow the instructions.

Note that you may have to enable pop-ups in your browser in order to make the download work...I know that some people had issues with that in some web browsers a few months ago.

Shari
Old 12-06-2021, 04:13 PM   #29
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
It is also possible to to import books into calibre directly from the kindle over USB.
j.p.s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 04:29 PM   #30
shalym
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
It is also possible to to import books into calibre directly from the kindle over USB.
Ahh!! I forgot about that! Just one more reason for me to love my K3!

Shari