Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-29-2010, 11:22 PM   #1
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
iPad Welcomed By e-reader Vendors

http://www.twice.com/article/446655-...er_Vendors.php

New York - Stand-alone e-reader manufactures, for the most part, gave Apple's iPad a warm welcome stating the high-profile device will help spread the word on this up and coming category.

Although the iPad is a fully capable portable computer, one of its highlights is the ability to read books, magazines and newspapers.

Greg Stetson, product manager for Ectaco, thought the iPad reader experience would be lacking. Ectaco makes the jetBook LITE, which was demonstrated at CES.

"As for the iPad, not sure what kind of impact it will have on the eReader market. It's like reading a book on your computer - not a lot of people like that and backlit LCD panels will cause eye fatigue faster. Obviously die hard Apple fans will love it, but as an eReader I don't think it will fly. In the PC/tablet world maybe,

Barnes & Noble, which has been marketing the nook e-reader had no comment regarding the iPad.
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 11:18 AM   #2
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris777 View Post

Greg Stetson, product manager for Ectaco, thought the iPad reader experience would be lacking. Ectaco makes the jetBook LITE, which was demonstrated at CES.

"As for the iPad, not sure what kind of impact it will have on the eReader market. It's like reading a book on your computer - not a lot of people like that and backlit LCD panels will cause eye fatigue faster. Obviously die hard Apple fans will love it, but as an eReader I don't think it will fly. In the PC/tablet world maybe
Great minds think alike.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-30-2010, 11:52 AM   #3
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
Of course the fact is, it IS NOT like reading a book on your computer. That is unless your computer screen is IPS and LED backlit. So in reality it is different. The vast majority of Computer screens are cheap, florescent backlit and therefore have the flashing going on that leads to eyestrain. The iPad screen has added clarity, no flashing and greatly improved viewing angles.

Of course it is in the best interest of dedicated reader manufactures to push the idea (incorrectly) that it is just a computer screen.
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 01:42 PM   #4
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Device: N/A
Never mind

Last edited by DawnFalcon; 01-30-2010 at 08:54 PM.
DawnFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 05:40 PM   #5
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnFalcon View Post
Quite a few of the better LCD monitors *are* IPS and LCD. So...sorry, your point? Moreover, how does better colour fidelity and viewing angle have anything to do with the backlighting of the screen? (It's still also slower response than MVA/PVA monitors in many cases as well)

(Actually, Sony's newer S-PVA panels are arguable superior to IPS)
I hate to repeat myself but I said "The vast majority of Computer screens are cheap, florescent backlit and therefore have the flashing going on that leads to eyestrain." And that was my point. Sure some new higher end monitors have these features, but the vast majority of people do not have them. Just because a new technology is available, does not mean everyone has it. You may, but you would be in the minority.

Sorry I did not make myself clear.

And as someone who has read ebooks on CRT's, LCDs (PDA, Pocket PC, and laptops) for ten years, I can assure you that it is possible to read even on the old ones. The screen of the iPhone is better than those, and if it had a bigger screen I would be happy to use it as my reader.
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-30-2010, 05:44 PM   #6
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Yep, and even having LED screens on my office PC and work laptop now, reading on them isn't the same as reading on something like the iPad due to the form factor.

You just can't get the viewing distance and comfort right with a pc or laptop. With a tablet I can curl up and read it just like I do my Kindle or a physical book. I still find e-ink easier on the eyes, but I don't often read for more than 30-60 minutes in anyone stretch, so it's not a big deal for me personally.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 06:22 PM   #7
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Device: N/A
Never mind

Last edited by DawnFalcon; 01-30-2010 at 08:53 PM.
DawnFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 12:24 AM   #8
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaul1114 View Post
Yep, and even having LED screens on my office PC and work laptop now, reading on them isn't the same as reading on something like the iPad due to the form factor.

You just can't get the viewing distance and comfort right with a pc or laptop. With a tablet I can curl up and read it just like I do my Kindle or a physical book. I still find e-ink easier on the eyes, but I don't often read for more than 30-60 minutes in anyone stretch, so it's not a big deal for me personally.
Well, many people read more than 30-60 minutes per day. I usually spend 5-6 hours for reading in airport and airplanes during my trips...
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 12:30 AM   #9
KenK
KenK began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle I, iRex DR1000S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bremen Cole View Post
Of course the fact is, it IS NOT like reading a book on your computer. That is unless your computer screen is IPS and LED backlit. So in reality it is different. The vast majority of Computer screens are cheap, florescent backlit and therefore have the flashing going on that leads to eyestrain. The iPad screen has added clarity, no flashing and greatly improved viewing angles.
Well, I have two tablet PCs, both of which have either a PVA or IPS screen, as far as I can tell. (Fujitsu T2020 and P1630. I have an NEC IPS display on my desk and the view angle is similar.)

I've installed the Amazon Kindle software on both, but I still find the *real* Kindle (Kindle 2) to be easier on the eye. The Kindle has a significantly better view angle. And the LCD display is either bright and harsh, or dim - needs to be adjusted just right. I don't think the Kindle even has a screen adjustment. (I've certainly never had to look for that feature.)
KenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 02:37 AM   #10
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenK View Post
Well, I have two tablet PCs, both of which have either a PVA or IPS screen, as far as I can tell. (Fujitsu T2020 and P1630. I have an NEC IPS display on my desk and the view angle is similar.)
As far as I know, the T2020 is a a very good PVA, and the P1630 might be TN, but not sure.
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote