Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-23-2017, 12:01 AM   #46
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@KovidGoyal - next time I get the problem, I might run Procmon and see if I can pick up differences in before/after registry values when I do a Repair.

No promises though

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 06:46 AM   #47
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Well, I can say that:
  • The icons are combined at the computer were they were previously combined
  • The icons are combined at the computer were they were previously uncombined
, so it's OK for me.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-23-2017, 08:40 AM   #48
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Yeah I dont have any other ideas about it in any case.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 07:59 PM   #49
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@Kovid - A week of running 3.8 and no icon separation - so maybe your changes made a difference.

But one other difference.

Before I installed 3.8, I unpinned the existing calibre icon*

I ran calibre from the install (I normally uncheck that box) and pinned that instance to the task bar.

I don't know why it should make a difference. I also don't know why echidnas lay eggs and hedgehogs don't.
  • the icon I unpinned, would have been pinned from an execution instance created either by running Program Files\Calibre2\calibre.exe directly, or from running a start menu or desktop shortcut. As a rule, I don't run applications from installs, because after a download-and-install I normally move the install file elsewhere.
If AnotherCat and or Terisa de Morgan have nothing better to do, perhaps they could try unpinning their existing problematic icon, reinstall 3.8, run calibre from the install, and pin that icon instance.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 01:59 PM   #50
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If you pin the icon that's on the desktop, you will get two icons on the taskbar.

If you pin the icon from the running Calibre, you won't get two icons.

That's not a Calibre issue. It's how Windows 10 works.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-30-2017, 07:06 PM   #51
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If you pin the icon that's on the desktop, you will get two icons on the taskbar.

If you pin the icon from the running Calibre, you won't get two icons.

That's not a Calibre issue. It's how Windows 10 works.
Jon, that is not right, sorry. If I try your "right"way with calibre 3.7, I get two icons (I did it), so please, go down of your soap box.
Old 09-30-2017, 10:12 PM   #52
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
It, as JSWolf describes, fixed it for me as per my post back on 23 September and quoted below. I cannot recall if it worked in Calibre 3.7.

It is still OK.

I am unsure, but I think what BetterRed sets out in his last post results in essentially the same thing behind the scenes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherCat View Post
JSWolf:

Yes that corrected it for me. Even after installing Calibre 3.8 and unpinning then repinning the button to the taskbar (as it happens I did that from the Start menu with Calibre not running) I still got two buttons.

But if I unpin it then pin it from the running instance of the button on the taskbar while Calibre is running (started from the Start menu) the issue seems to have gone .
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 05:56 AM   #53
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
Jon, that is not right, sorry. If I try your "right"way with calibre 3.7, I get two icons (I did it), so please, go down of your soap box.
I just did a test and it works as I described.

Some install of Firefox pinned the icon to the taskbar. When I run Firefox I get two icons. When I pinned the running icon and not the other icon and then run Firefox again, I get one icon instead of two.

If that's not how it works, please explain how it works.
Old 10-01-2017, 05:58 AM   #54
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I just did a test and it works as I described.

Some install of Firefox pinned the icon to the taskbar. When I run Firefox I get two icons. When I pinned the running icon and not the other icon and then run Firefox again, I get one icon instead of two.

If that's not how it works, please explain how it works.
For me? Installing calibre 3.8. What you describe doesn't work at all W10, it has worked and two of my computers and not at other one. So, please, your experience is not the only one in the world.
Old 10-01-2017, 06:00 AM   #55
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
For me? Installing calibre 3.8. What you describe doesn't work at all W10, it has worked and two of my computers and not at other one. So, please, your experience is not the only one in the world.
Could it be the difference in some setting?
Old 10-01-2017, 06:09 AM   #56
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer

No, I'm sorry, I've changed nothing.
Old 10-01-2017, 06:18 AM   #57
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
No, I'm sorry, I've changed nothing.
All I can report on is what I see here. That's how the icons are working for me.
Old 10-01-2017, 06:27 AM   #58
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer

They are working for me like that... with calibre 3.8. The first time this method was described I tried it, and it didn't work.
Old 11-02-2017, 02:15 AM   #59
blackcatw81
Meow!
blackcatw81 began at the beginning.

Device: K4NTblk,HanlinV60 3G,Trekstor Pyrus
Sorry to update the thread dated a month ago but I was intensively working till 2 days ago.

An hour ago I tried launching Calibre from my Windows 10 (home - licensed) 64bit automatically upgraded but the program never loaded. In the Control Manager the process appeared just for a fraction of a second then disappeared. I uninstalled then reinstalled various versions but nothing worked.

The thing that solved my problem was go to safe mode then restart Windows 10 in full activity mode. Maybe the IoBit MalwareFighter and the Comodo Firewall upgraded at the full restart.. I don't know.. I know that Calibre finally launched

Just telling for reference

'bye!
blackcatw81 is offline   Reply With Quote