Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-20-2017, 12:06 PM   #1
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3G, Voyage WiFi;FireHD; Kobo: Aura One, Glo HD
The Pendergast novels of Preston & Child

I remember how much I LOVED reading "The Cabinet of Curiosities," which is #3 in the series.

For some strange reason I haven't read any more, but that's about to change.

Are the rest as good as the one I read, in your opinion?

And should I now read the remaining series in chronological order?

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 12-20-2017 at 09:16 PM. Reason: one
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-20-2017, 12:27 PM   #2
jackie_w
Wizard
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo AuraHD/Aura6"/AuraH2O/GloHD/AuraOne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Are the rest as good as the I read, in your opinion?

And should I now read the remaining series in chronological order?
I binge-read books 1-8 pre-ereader days. The rest are in my enormous TBR heap. I'd say you do need to read them in chronological order. I seem to remember book 4 as being fairly self-contained but books 5-8 have a continuing storyline.

The reason I stopped at 8 was that I didn't enjoy it as much as the previous ones, but I didn't hate it and I continued to stockpile the rest.

I'll be interested to read others' opinions of the later books to see if I should consider kick-starting another binge
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 12:31 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone 5
What is the chronological order of the books?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 12:36 PM   #4
jackie_w
Wizard
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
See FantasticFiction
Old 12-20-2017, 01:45 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
Is that really chronological order?
Advert
Old 12-20-2017, 02:34 PM   #6
jackie_w
Wizard

Quote:
Is that really chronological order?
It's the order in which they were written, I believe. Although I think book 14 Blue Labyrinth should be labelled 2014, not 2012.

For internal chronology I can only speak for the one's I've read. As far as I can remember, books 1-8 internal chronology sequence is the same as published sequence. Also the short story Extraction (which I haven't read) is a prequel about when Pendergast was a child, so could perhaps be considered book zero.
Old 12-20-2017, 08:06 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
It's the order in which they were written, I believe. Although I think book 14 Blue Labyrinth should be labelled 2014, not 2012.

For internal chronology I can only speak for the one's I've read. As far as I can remember, books 1-8 internal chronology sequence is the same as published sequence. Also the short story Extraction (which I haven't read) is a prequel about when Pendergast was a child, so could perhaps be considered book zero.
I'm asking for chronological order so when I eventually start reading these books, I can read in the order of my choice.
Old 12-20-2017, 09:17 PM   #8
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

Oh, no!

Seriously, I don't think it makes much difference, except for the continuing story-line of a few of the books.

--- As jackie_w mentioned, I think it's the order in which they were published. I'm notorious for reading things out of order, anyway, but I never read back-to-front. (Unless I'm standing in front of a mirror!)

Has anyone else read any of these? They seem to have been very popular at one time, and I think that Preston and Child broke up and then got back together. Is that true?

I still remember how terrifying "The Cabinet of Curiosities" was! My spine tingles when I think of it, just like in the movie "The Tingler" with Vincent Price. That, too, scared the crap out of me. Anything to do with spinal manipulation.....ughghh!

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 12-20-2017 at 10:04 PM.
Old 12-20-2017, 11:31 PM   #9
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Deep in the heart of Texas (whether I like it or not)
Device: Kobo Aura, Nook Simple Touch with Glowlight, Nook Glowlight 3
I read The Relic years ago, but don't remember much about it.

I've always mean to get back to Preston and Child (Riptide has been on my TBR for quite a while). The synopsis of their books always felt like pitches for high concept blockbuster movies. I don't mean that in a bad way.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 09:15 AM   #10
pwalker8
Wizard
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Sony PRS-T2
I've got the first 7 now. In the Relic, Pendergast is a kind of a secondary character. This story is mostly told from the point of view of someone who works at the museum. Reliquary was the first where Pendergast was the primary. I liked the Relic, which was made into a pretty decent movie. Reliquary was pretty good as well. I read the those in paper back when the movie came out, and couldn't find the others. I tend to like to read series in order, so if book 3 isn't available, I tend not to try to read the others out of order. I finally got book's 3 and 4 at the Sony store some years ago. Definitely time for a re-read.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 09:26 AM   #11
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
I've got the first 7 now. In the Relic, Pendergast is a kind of a secondary character. This story is mostly told from the point of view of someone who works at the museum. Reliquary was the first where Pendergast was the primary. I liked the Relic, which was made into a pretty decent movie. Reliquary was pretty good as well. I read the those in paper back when the movie came out, and couldn't find the others. I tend to like to read series in order, so if book 3 isn't available, I tend not to try to read the others out of order. I finally got book's 3 and 4 at the Sony store some years ago. Definitely time for a re-read.

Thank you.

I'll probably go ahead and pick up the package deal that contains both #1 and #2, and save $5.00:

https://www.amazon.com/Pendergast-Fi...preston+kindle

If they compare favorably to #3 (and how much I loved that one), then I imagine I'll go ahead and buy about 3 more in the series.