Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-20-2007, 03:52 AM   #31
FixB
Groupie
FixB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.FixB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.FixB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.FixB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.FixB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS500
By the way, I read on others posts that amazon is loosing money on some of the ebooks they sell way under the publisher price. This would not be allowed in France where there is a maximum of 5% debate on a publisher price for a given distributor. This law is specifically to stop big librairies (online or otherwise) to kill their 'small' competitors... too easily...
FixB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 04:04 AM   #32
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FixB View Post
By the way, I read on others posts that amazon is loosing money on some of the ebooks they sell way under the publisher price. This would not be allowed in France where there is a maximum of 5% debate on a publisher price for a given distributor. This law is specifically to stop big librairies (online or otherwise) to kill their 'small' competitors... too easily...
Well, they pay the publisher 35% of their suggested retail price, if i read correctly. That is very little. And they claim the right to sell it to any price they like. So i do not think, that they are putting money in.

Mobipocket gives the publishers 50% of the suggessted retail price. The retailers get a 30 to 40% , that leaves mobipocket with about 10% for each sale.

Compare that to Amazon, and you see what kind of profit they will draw from the ebooks and what freedom it leaves them to sell way cheaper than any other mobipocket retailer.
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-20-2007, 04:27 AM   #33
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I got a reply to my e-mail to Amazon UK. Just the usual generic "we do not offer this product at the current time. Keep checking our web site for possible updates" answer.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 08:39 AM   #34
HappyMartin
Martin Kristiansen
HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle International Ipad 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsp View Post
Hey guys

You're all in danger of hypocrisy - Europe is not the only thing outside the US!!! There's little old me down here in Australia and I know there are other Aussie posters. I will send them (Amazon I mean) an email as I agree with CommanderROR.

I.
And down in the bottom end of Africa we are happy to gather up any old crumbs. Anyone have any old crap you no longer have a use for please just send it on down. Second hand toilet paper, nuclear waste and of course our great favorite, millions of land mines that have passed there sell by date. We are more than happy to trade for gold, platinum, diamonds, uranium, oil and any other commodities we have lying about.

Don't mind me, I'm having a bad day.
HappyMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 12:08 PM   #35
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMartin View Post
And down in the bottom end of Africa we are happy to gather up any old crumbs. Anyone have any old crap you no longer have a use for please just send it on down. Second hand toilet paper, nuclear waste and of course our great favorite, millions of land mines that have passed there sell by date. We are more than happy to trade for gold, platinum, diamonds, uranium, oil and any other commodities we have lying about.

Don't mind me, I'm having a bad day.
I guess so! Hey, I think of you guys on a fairly regular basis. Sadly, I don't have much to offer in exchange for your commodities (or anything else).
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-08-2007, 11:27 AM   #36
strangeseraph
Connoisseur
strangeseraph will become famous soon enoughstrangeseraph will become famous soon enoughstrangeseraph will become famous soon enoughstrangeseraph will become famous soon enoughstrangeseraph will become famous soon enoughstrangeseraph will become famous soon enough

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
Its amazing how products like the Kindle, Zune, iPhone, etc, have been manufactured solely with US marketplace and technologies in mind without any thought to how well the device will work in outside markets. As if they predict the only good sales will come from the US. (Or they hope so! Maybe having a US only device would drive up the price of it overseas in preperation for a later launch!)

I don't know much about the market, but all I know is that iPhone, Kindle and Zune are not available in Canada. And it sucks.
strangeseraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 01:56 PM   #37
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by strangeseraph View Post
Its amazing how products like the Kindle, Zune, iPhone, etc, have been manufactured solely with US marketplace and technologies in mind without any thought to how well the device will work in outside markets. As if they predict the only good sales will come from the US. (Or they hope so! Maybe having a US only device would drive up the price of it overseas in preperation for a later launch!)

I don't know much about the market, but all I know is that iPhone, Kindle and Zune are not available in Canada. And it sucks.
I'm not that familiar with Zune but both iPhone and Kindle required partnerships to launch. The iPhone is now coming out in Europe because they made partnerships there. I wouldn't be surprised if the Kindle comes out in other places, too. There are tons of products, I would venture to say most, that do not launch globally. Usually products launch in stages. There are tons of mobile phones available in Europe and Asia that we never see here. Not ever. Not even a few months later. No one's screaming that Nokia is discriminating against the US. Even Motorola, a US company, often debuts their phones in Asia. I understand that America deserves plenty of bashing for a variety of things but this has nothing to do with American feelings of superiority. It's business plain and simple.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 04:42 PM   #38
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by strangeseraph View Post

It is likely that they haven't passed the appropriate FCC standards for Canada. It has its own standard and I believe they will not accept the US testing.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 11:31 AM   #39
Charybdis
Enthusiast
Charybdis will become famous soon enoughCharybdis will become famous soon enoughCharybdis will become famous soon enoughCharybdis will become famous soon enoughCharybdis will become famous soon enoughCharybdis will become famous soon enough

Device: BeBook
There was a rumor that Kindle will launch internationally, using Vodafone's system for "Whispernet".

Now it is July already, but still no Kindle internationally. Any news on this?
Charybdis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 03:22 PM   #40
cush
Virtual Staggerwing Flier
cush will become famous soon enoughcush will become famous soon enoughcush will become famous soon enoughcush will become famous soon enoughcush will become famous soon enoughcush will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle (and an iMac)
After reading through this thread I'm wondering why those living outside the US don't just buy a Kindle as it is and then just download the ebooks via the Internet to be loaded manually via the included USB cable? Is there a problem paying for ebooks from outside the US as opposed to paying for regular Amazon paper books? The wireless connectivity is convenient but not essential. Software updates might be a problem, though.
cush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 03:53 PM   #41
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by tirsales View Post
Well, this just affirmes my believe. And clarifys why I believe that Amazon is ... oh well, at least their pbook-shop is rather good and fast-delivering... The Kindle .. I have said my part.

Oh well, apparently Amazon has a very brain-dead marketing (more to say would be rude...) and design team, I guess they give nothing about consumer-opinions (they have learned absolutely nothing from the last years) so I guess I will stop writing about the kindle. Saves your time and my nerves.
From everything I've read Amazon has been bombarded with requests for outside the US service. Now, do you really think, knowing the money to be made, they aren't working on solutions? Why would they knowingly give up the money to be generated thru sheer stupidity? No one knows why they aren't expanding as of yet. They aren't talking. I would give them the benefit of the doubt. Rumors are rampant, but no one has any facts.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 04:31 PM   #42
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cush View Post
After reading through this thread I'm wondering why those living outside the US don't just buy a Kindle as it is and then just download the ebooks via the Internet to be loaded manually via the included USB cable? Is there a problem paying for ebooks from outside the US as opposed to paying for regular Amazon paper books? The wireless connectivity is convenient but not essential. Software updates might be a problem, though.
I would not buy it even if I lived in the USA. Don't like, as simple as that.
If tomorrow Kindle was sold in the UK and Sony is still in the USA, I would go for Sony.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 04:52 PM   #43
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
I would not buy it even if I lived in the USA. Don't like, as simple as that.
If tomorrow Kindlle was sold in the UK and Sony is still in the USA, I would go for Sony.

As is your right. Thats whats so wonderful about ebook readers.....there are so many that no one has to go without.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 04:54 PM   #44
TheJohnNewton
Addict
TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.

Device: Boox Nova 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by cush View Post
After reading through this thread I'm wondering why those living outside the US don't just buy a Kindle as it is and then just download the ebooks via the Internet to be loaded manually via the included USB cable? Is there a problem paying for ebooks from outside the US as opposed to paying for regular Amazon paper books?
You need a US credit card to purchase Kindle books. Also they won't ship a Kindle to a non-US address so you would need to jump that hurdle.

I guess the reason for wanting a Kindle outside the US would be for the Amazon ebooks? Otherwise why not just buy any of the other ereaders with eInk screens. Minus the cell phone connection they would be nearly identical functionaly.

Last edited by TheJohnNewton; 07-21-2008 at 04:58 PM.
TheJohnNewton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 04:56 PM   #45
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
As is your right
Yeah, I know . I answered to cush on his question:
Quote:
I'm wondering why those living outside the US don't just buy a Kindle as it is
astra is offline   Reply With Quote