Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-22-2017, 05:06 PM   #16
howi42
howi42 began at the beginning.

Device: none
I still do not get it ...
Quote :
You misunderstand. You are not supposed to be able to run the calirbe GUI and server on the same library. Either run the server from within the GUI or create a script that stops the server when starting the GUI and restarts it after the GUI quits.

This is what I do :
- I run the content server on my Linux file server,
accessing this content server remotely allows read or download only.
- To do library changes, I access the calibre library ( GUI ) from another system, same user, i.e. I have Calibre installed on my Windows system and point to the library on the file server.

This 'seems' to work, or should it not ?
howi42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 10:00 PM   #17
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq...rked-drive-nas
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 10:21 PM   #18
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I'd be concerned about data corruption; it sounds like you are accessing the same calibre library from two systems at the same time.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 04:05 PM   #19
howi42
howi42 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Yes, but isn't that the idea of a server ?
1. There might be several users acessing the library at the same time, all of them using the same calibre-user.

2. The server is headless, the only administration is through webmin,ssh or such.
I have to access and modify the libraries remotely.

Last edited by howi42; 09-23-2017 at 04:10 PM.
howi42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 10:14 PM   #20
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

https://github.com/kovidgoyal/calibr...e/srv/TODO.rst
Old 09-26-2017, 10:25 AM   #21
srv1973
srv1973 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color with CM7
Hi Kovid, I have to agree with the others in this thread. For me, it is a regression that I cannot start calibre anymore when calibre-server is running.

To to me the whole point of calibre-server is that I can easily access my library from my (android) devices (eg CalibreCompanion, which I bought), without having to worry about starting anything on the server.

On the other hand, whenever I want to manipulate my library (add books/...), I should not have to "sudo systemctl stop calibre-server.service". And then later having to remember to "sudo systemctl start calibre-server.service". It seriously impacts usability.

Please reconsider this change, or at least implement a "read-only" mode for calibre-server. I would guess that most people use calibre-server the same way as I do: for read-only access to the library. For that group of users, the current behavior is just to onerous.

Other than that, keep up the good work!
srv1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 11:52 AM   #22
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Add the following to your .bashrc

alias calibre="sudo systemctl stop calibre-server; /opt/calibre/calibre; sudo systemctl start calibre"

Now all you need to type is calibre.

Or just leave the GUI running using the system tray icon and run the server inside the GUI. Then you have the server running continuously and you can use the GUI whenever you feel like it by clicking the system tray icon.
Old 01-06-2018, 11:34 PM   #23
oblongau
oblongau began at the beginning.

Device: Calibre; Galaxy SII
The problem with the notification area has been fixed in Calibre 3.15 (post #15 and earlier).
https://github.com/kovidgoyal/calibre/pull/797
https://github.com/mate-desktop/mate-panel/issues/686
oblongau is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre conten server, ubuntu server 16_04 lts