Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-27-2017, 05:33 PM   #46
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
Geo-restrictions is largely an artifact of two things. First, the old business model from when publishing was not world wide, but local. Second, the issue of individual laws. Many online stores are US only because they simply don't want to deal with all the various laws and such in the various countries.
I realize that geo-restrictions are a serious inconvenience for travellers and I have no slightest idea what their motivation is with publishers or authors, but i don't really see any ethical objection to them.

Well, let me modify that a bit. I have ethical objections to any restrictions including these but I recognize that as a practical matter with the world being what it is and paranoia being what it is that there are going to be restrictions and that's that. I don't see any special reason to object to geo-restrictions.

Next thing you know Ford will not allow you to drive a Ford car from the USA into Mexico or Canada.

Worse yet: when Boeing disallows crossing international borders with their airplanes.

But let's look at the bright side: when missile makers no longer allow nations to send ICBM's across the border. That'll make the rest worthwhile.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote