Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 09-15-2011, 10:53 AM   #10801
maianhvk
whimsical
maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: current: PPW 4. brick: K3 & Voyage.
I just finished The Picture of Dorian Gray earlier this morning, and started I, Robot. I rarely read Sci-Fi, but... impressive, I like it.
maianhvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 11:21 AM   #10802
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool hmmmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
Cool! Thanks.

I didn't realize that Bob does not fully materialize in the books. My mind just automatically filled that in from the series, as well. It's Karrin/Connie & Morgan that I don't really remember.

I'm 53% in now. Having a hard time finding a stopping point.
Murphy makes me so mad. She's so quick to judge & distrust Harry. If it weren't for the money, I don't know how he could work with her.
wait, all the main characters mature and change as the series unfolds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpelteazer View Post
I finished Dead Beat (Dresden Files #7) by Jim Butcher last night. I'm glad I didn't stop reading this series after one or two books because with each book the series gets better. I do have to say that for someone who messes of technology just by being near it Harry knows a lot about movies.
in a theater he's not close to the technology.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpelteazer View Post
I personally liked the tv series, which I watched after reading the first two books. I think of the as "inspired by" rather than "based on" (like many movies and tv series based on books).
agreed
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 02:30 PM   #10803
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, E.Edge (sold), Irex Iliad (retired)
Finished Seven Folds Of Winter which got better during the second half but the characters never got really interesting. I would say it was an ok read but not great.

Currently reading: The hundred thousand kingdoms by N.K Jemisin. Despite the horrific formatting and sloppy proof-reading it's an interesting fantasy story that looks promising.
thinkpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 05:44 PM   #10804
anjirlly
Groupie
anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle on Android phone; PB360; Sony 950
Finished Far to Go by Alison Pick. It's a Holocaust novel about Sudetenland Jews, and I was interested in the Czech setting. The concept and structure is pretty interesting, but the portraits of the 1938-43 characters didn't ring true to me (based on spending about 4 years total in Prague between 1988 and 1998).

@ thinkpad: I'm about to start The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms.
anjirlly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 10:51 PM   #10805
maianhvk
whimsical
maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: current: PPW 4. brick: K3 & Voyage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkpad View Post
Currently reading: The hundred thousand kingdoms by N.K Jemisin. Despite the horrific formatting and sloppy proof-reading it's an interesting fantasy story that looks promising.
That's on my TBR list. Tell us what you think.
maianhvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 11:41 PM   #10806
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
wait, all the main characters mature and change as the series unfolds.
Good to know!

I just finished Fool Moon a few minutes ago. I give it a 4.5. I like how they mixed the expected with the unexpected and how they kept the action and he tension going for pretty much the whole 2nd half the book.

I also found myself tickled by some of the similarities between the Dresden Files universe and the Rachel Morgan/Hollows universe, specifically when it came to dealing with demons and demon summoning.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 11:53 PM   #10807
Ron.
Evangelist
Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, LookBook, Nook Simple Touch
I gave up on Amazir, 3/4 of each chapter was spent describing the room they were in or street they were walking down. I got bored with that quickly..

So Now I am reading Taliesin

While the druids of the Isle of the Mighty predict the coming of one whose song will change the world, a young priestess in Atlantis foresees the destruction of her homeland. The love story of the bard Taliesin and the Princess Charis begins a new series for Lawhead ("The Empyrion Saga" and the "Dragon King Trilogy"). This graceful combination of Atlantean legend, Celtic myth, and Christian messagereminiscent of C.S. Lewisis highly recommended. JC
Copyright 1987 Reed Business Information, Inc.
Ron. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 12:39 AM   #10808
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Cool a common mythology

Quote:
Good to know!

I just finished Fool Moon a few minutes ago. I give it a 4.5. I like how they mixed the expected with the unexpected and how they kept the action and he tension going for pretty much the whole 2nd half the book.

I also found myself tickled by some of the similarities between the Dresden Files universe and the Rachel Morgan/Hollows universe, specifically when it came to dealing with demons and demon summoning.
in my limited experience concerning the urban fantasy genre there are a lot of similarities between the different authors that imho, are most likely caused by the common mythology that these different creature-types are part of.
Old 09-16-2011, 01:11 AM   #10809
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Finished Cold Vengeance by Preston & Child. It continues the storyline from Fever Dream. It's not as intriguing as other Pendergast novels although this time he acts without control at times. More displays of anger. The story ends on a cliffhanger. C grade (3 stars).

The authors state in their letter to readers that they will continue their Gideon character. Expect another installment next year. Also Paramount picked up the option. It makes me wonder if writers are creating novels or screenplays.

Next is The Remains of the Day by Ishiguro.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 06:44 PM   #10810
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
in my limited experience concerning the urban fantasy genre there are a lot of similarities between the different authors that imho, are most likely caused by the common mythology that these different creature-types are part of.
The two series are my first attempts at reading urban fantasy, unless The Black Dagger Brotherhood series counts as well.
Old 09-16-2011, 07:07 PM   #10811
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool hmmmm....

Quote:
The two series are my first attempts at reading urban fantasy, unless The Black Dagger Brotherhood series counts as well.
never heard of it...so...i just went to amazon and checked it out. since i'm highly motivated to try something new mostly by how intriguing its cover art appears to me. well, those covers give me negative vibes and do nothing to motivate me, i probably would never try that series unless it was recommended by someone [like yourself, who seems to have similar sensibilities as myself].
Old 09-16-2011, 07:33 PM   #10812
siraks
use the force
siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Lenovo K1
Quote:
i'm right near the end of this one too and i have to agree, quite a bit goes on and am liking this book a lot. probably more so than the first.

and to touch on murphy, i find myself angered by her actions as well and sometimes catch myself saying "Really??" out loud haha.
siraks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 08:08 PM   #10813
Nyssa
Series Addict

Quote:
never heard of it...so...i just went to amazon and checked it out. since i'm highly motivated to try something new mostly by how intriguing its cover art appears to me. well, those covers give me negative vibes and do nothing to motivate me, i probably would never try that series unless it was recommended by someone [like yourself, who seems to have similar sensibilities as myself].
That depends on how you feel about "romance-ish" novels. The Black Dagger Brotherhood is about a group of vampire warriors who live and work together to protect the world and themselves from "Lessers" (evil former human beings with no souls).

Each book is dedicated to a specific warrior, their abilities, weakness, etc, and how they came to be with their significant other.

I think what I like most about the series is: The twists made to the vampire mythos; How utterly imperfect these "men" are; and how well they seem to fit together to make up the brotherhood. The enemy is also weird and like nothing I've read before.
From what I remember (its been at least 2 years since I've read them), the romance part of it is good, in that its neither overly mushy nor ridiculously star crossed. It just is what it is, for better or for worse, and sometimes its really hot.

Here is a synopsis of the first book:

Spoiler:
Dark Lover is the first book in the Black Dagger Brotherhood series. It tells the story of Wrath - the last purebred vampire left on the planet. The un-ascended king of the vampire species, Wrath lives only to fight in an endless war with the soulless vampire slayers, Lessers, who brutally murdered his parents centuries ago. As leader of the Brotherhood, his only solace is in fighting, not looking to the past or future, shunning his duties as King.

Within the vampire world, Wrath is known as the Blind King, due to his extremely poor eyesight, though this does not affect his powers on the battlefield nor his ability to sense the feelings of others around him.

Blaming himself for not intervening when his parents were slain, Wrath has wrapped himself in a cocoon of self-hatred and emotional distance, but Dark Lover tells of his enlivening. When the Lessers kill one of his best fighters, Darius, Wrath is left with the responsibility to help the warrior’s half-human daughter, Beth, through her transition. It is through Beth that Wrath learns to feel and look toward the future of his life and of the species as a whole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by siraks View Post
i'm right near the end of this one too and i have to agree, quite a bit goes on and am liking this book a lot. probably more so than the first.

and to touch on murphy, i find myself angered by her actions as well and sometimes catch myself saying "Really??" out loud haha.
Murphy has made me grumble to myself on more than one occasion. I remember almost yelling "Are you kidding me!?!" while reading Storm Front, when:
Spoiler:
She gets attacked by the scorpion in his office, and as he gets down to check on her she handcuffs him!

What is it with her handcuffing or arresting him at the worst possible moments?

I think I'd like to start a Dresden Files series thread.
Old 09-16-2011, 08:43 PM   #10814
Nyssa
Series Addict

The Dresden Files thread.
Old 09-17-2011, 06:49 AM   #10815
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Death in the Clouds by Agatha Christie.
A good Hercule Poirot mystery. I didn't guess right, despite seeing and recognising the vital clue. My own fault — I should have been both more and less suspicious!

Next: Ill Met By Moonlight by Sarah A. Hoyt

Elves and Shakespeare. It should be fun. Also available in a bundle with the other two books in the series and a book of short stories.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote