Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Other formats > LRF

Notices

Old 06-11-2009, 01:28 PM   #1
ahi
Wizard
ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Decrypting DRM-d BBeB

Is there an established tool/way to decrypt DRM BBeB files (e.g.: like the ones sold by the Sony Store) so they can be converted by the standard LRF tools?

- Ahi
ahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 01:31 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
No, there are no existing DRM removal tools for LRX files.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 02:15 PM   #3
ahi
Wizard
ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
No, there are no existing DRM removal tools for LRX files.
So LRX is impossible to convert then. Am I right? Or have I overlooked something?

- Ahi
Old 06-11-2009, 03:04 PM   #4
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
There's no sensible way at the moment to convert .LRX files to anything else.

I doubt it's because the protection is intrinsically stronger than Mobipocket DRM or Adobe ePUB DRM, but no-one's published a script yet.

You're not overlooking anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahi View Post
So LRX is impossible to convert then. Am I right? Or have I overlooked something?

- Ahi
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 01:31 AM   #5
Lilly
Guru
Lilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-900 & PRS-950, Amazon Kindle2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
There's no sensible way at the moment to convert .LRX files to anything else.

I doubt it's because the protection is intrinsically stronger than Mobipocket DRM or Adobe ePUB DRM, but no-one's published a script yet.

You're not overlooking anything.
I will be happy when that happens. I use to buy 100% of all my books from Sony before I knew better, now I buy 0%. I now only buy Lit, Mobi, and Amazon AZW. I will return to the Sony bookstore when I'm able to liberate LRX books.
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 02:37 PM   #6
ahi
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
I will be happy when that happens. I use to buy 100% of all my books from Sony before I knew better, now I buy 0%. I now only buy Lit, Mobi, and Amazon AZW. I will return to the Sony bookstore when I'm able to liberate LRX books.
Would be funny if the Sony Store's eBook sales shot up like hell once their DRM is broken.

- Ahi
Old 06-12-2009, 04:57 PM   #7
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahi View Post
Would be funny if the Sony Store's eBook sales shot up like hell once their DRM is broken.
I heard this actually happened with epub books.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 01:53 PM   #8
bassoprofundo
bassoprofundo began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505, 500
Quote:
I'm in the same boat. I'm really hesitant to keep buying from Sony without the possiblity of "freeing" the books if their store ever goes under (like their music store did). I have no problem paying for my material, but I don't want to risk it being "marooned" in the future.
bassoprofundo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 07:12 PM   #9
MaruRey
MaruRey began at the beginning.

Device: Sony ERreader PRS-505
I am new to the EReader. My sister and I both bought one. I bought the Sony PRS-505 and she bought the Kindle. Is there any way to change the formats so that we can share the books with each other on our respective readers?
MaruRey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 08:00 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaruRey View Post
I am new to the EReader. My sister and I both bought one. I bought the Sony PRS-505 and she bought the Kindle. Is there any way to change the formats so that we can share the books with each other on our respective readers?
If you know what you are doing, you can liberate the DRM from AZW files which then are standard Mobipocket eBooks. You can then convert to ePub or LRF and enjoy on your 505.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 09:34 PM   #11
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Ebooks from Amazon in the Kindle format (AZW) can have their DRM removed, and then be converted to ePub or LRF that the Sony Reader can use.

Books bought from the Sony store can't be converted to any other format.

Books acquired from *other* sources online--like the free ones here at Mobileread, or bought from Fictionwise.com, or BooksOnBoard.com, can be either downloaded in different types for the different ebook readers, or converted from one type to another with the right kind of software. (What kind depends on the original ebook format, and what DRM, if any.) There are listings of ebook stores and free ebook sites in the wiki; you can get ebooks from a lot more places than Amazon and Sony.

The Sony will read Adobe Digital Editions ebooks in either ePub or PDF, and the LRF format. The Kindle will read AZW, and Mobi formats, although you'd have to take some steps to get DRM'd .mobi or .prc books from other sites, and you can send PDF (and maybe ePub) books to Amazon to have them converted. Neither ebook reader can use .LIT books, but they can be converted into formats that either could use.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 04:50 PM   #12
Boxdoc
Boxdoc began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS - 700, Kindle 2
I don't even go to the Sony Store anymore because I won't buy anything that has .lrx format. Crack the DRM, I will become a customer again.
Boxdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 08:34 PM   #13
Lilly
Guru
Lilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-900 & PRS-950, Amazon Kindle2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxdoc View Post
I don't even go to the Sony Store anymore because I won't buy anything that has .lrx format. Crack the DRM, I will become a customer again.
Same here!
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 12:28 AM   #14
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Same here!
Not me its easy to convert LIT/MOB/ePUB to any format without losing the original layout. But even if LRX is sold without DRM there is no easy way to shift the content. Just as bad as buying a PDF file without the portability of a PDF file.

For that reason I will always pefere LIT/MOBI/ePUB. The only way I will be a sony customer is if they start selling ePUB
=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 12:40 AM   #15
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
Not me its easy to convert LIT/MOB/ePUB to any format without losing the original layout. But even if LRX is sold without DRM there is no easy way to shift the content. Just as bad as buying a PDF file without the portability of a PDF file.

For that reason I will always pefere LIT/MOBI/ePUB. The only way I will be a sony customer is if they start selling ePUB
=X=
I'm assuming that if the DRM is cracked, someone will also offer a format-shifting program as well. Given that Calibre reads the .lrf file format well enough to display it, I'd think it wouldn't be a *big* stretch to deconstruct it
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote