Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 11-23-2021, 10:48 AM   #5506
salty-horse
Wizard
salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E
The Dystopia Triptych Box Set edited by John Joseph Adams, Hugh Howey, and Christie Yant is $1.99 (was $0.99 briefly) on Amazon.com

These are 3 anthologies of dystopian short fiction. Each book contains stories from the same 13 authors.
Quote:
Ignorance is Strength—before the dystopia—focuses on society during its descent into absurdity and madness. Burn the Ashes—during the dystopia—turns its attention to life during the strangest, most dire times. Or Else the Light—after the dystopia—concludes the saga with each author sharing their own vision of how we as a society might crawl back from the precipice of despair.
For the tables of contents, see:
http://www.johnjosephadams.com/proje...e-of-contents/

The authors featured are:
Carrie Vaughn, Tim Pratt, Rich Larson, Cadwell Turnbull, Karin Lowachee, Adam-Troy Castro, Caroline M. Yoachim, Hugh Howey, An Owomoyela, Seanan McGuire, Dominca Phetteplace, Alex Irvine, Tobias S. Buckell, Scott Sigler, Darcie Little Badger, Violet Allen, Merc Fenn Wolfmoor

Last edited by salty-horse; 11-24-2021 at 03:22 AM.
salty-horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 06:24 PM   #5507
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
^

Interesting. I'm showing $1.99 for the boxed set.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 07:31 PM   #5508
elaysee
Groupie
elaysee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elaysee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elaysee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elaysee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elaysee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elaysee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elaysee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elaysee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elaysee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elaysee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elaysee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook, Kobo, Kindle, iPad
It's an Amazon countdown deal, so the price will keep creeping up.

I've read almost all of the authors, count some as favorites, and have read some of these stories. I like the construction of these grouped anthologies (Adams and Howey also put together the Apocalypse Triptych) a lot, so if the theme appeals, it's worth acting on.
elaysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 03:20 AM   #5509
salty-horse
Wizard
salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elaysee View Post
have read some of these stories.
Oh, so they aren't all original to the anthology? I will edit my post.
Old 11-24-2021, 07:19 AM   #5510
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Elipsa, Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8", Kindle Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by salty-horse View Post
Oh, so they aren't all original to the anthology? I will edit my post.
In quick look at the copyright pages, I found one story which originally appeared at Lightspeed. And I know that Caroline M. Yoachim's Shadow Prison stories were reprinted at Lightspeed around the time the books came out to promote them.
lkmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 11:08 AM   #5511
Critteranne
Guru
Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Against a Dark Background by Iain M. Banks is $2.99 today.

Harrow the Ninth (The Locked Tomb Series Book 2) by Tamsyn Muir is $2.99 this week.

A Darker Shade of Magic: A Novel (Shades of Magic Book 1) by V. E. Schwab is $2.99 this month.

Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett is $2.99 this week.

The Shadow of What Was Lost (The Licanius Trilogy Book 1) by James Islington is $2.99 this week.

Ariadne: A Novel by Jennifer Saint is $3.99 this week.
Critteranne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 12:30 PM   #5512
CaffeineAbuser
CaffeineAbuser began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Several of the early books in Anne McCaffrey's Dragonriders of Pern series are now 99p at Amazon UK https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...oreType=ebooks

They are:
1. Dragonflight
2. Dragonquest
3. Dragonsong
4. Dragonsinger
5. The White Dragon
6. Dragondrums
7. Moreta
9. Dragonsdawn

16. The Skies of Pern is also 99p as part of the monthly deal (as posted above).

I don't know how long the other eight books will stay at 99p.
CaffeineAbuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 04:13 PM   #5513
maddz
Wizard
maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Icarus, iPad Mini 2, Kobo Touch, Google Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaffeineAbuser View Post
Several of the early books in Anne McCaffrey's Dragonriders of Pern series are now 99p at Amazon UK https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...oreType=ebooks

They are:
1. Dragonflight
2. Dragonquest
3. Dragonsong
4. Dragonsinger
5. The White Dragon
6. Dragondrums
7. Moreta
9. Dragonsdawn

16. The Skies of Pern is also 99p as part of the monthly deal (as posted above).

Pretty sure they're all repeats as I've got them all (I would only get them at 99p as I have all of them in paper copy anyway - apart from the later published ones - I stopped at Dragonsdawn / All the Weyrs of Pern).
maddz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 02:28 PM   #5514
salty-horse
Wizard

Tachyon Publications has a coupon for use in its store for physical books, and I believe that also for ebooks.
Quote:
From November 26 until the end of the year, use the coupon code BLKFRI2021 site-wide for a 20% discount, with free shipping within the United States. If you can't wait that long, use our 15% coupon, THANKS15, good for right now until then
Apex Book Company is offering 40% on all titles when you use the coupon BLACKFRIDAY2021. Offer valid through Monday.
Old 11-26-2021, 03:59 AM   #5515
salty-horse
Wizard

Shards of Earth by Adrian Tchaikovsky is $2.99 on Amazon.com
This is the beginning of a new SF trilogy.
Quote:
The war is over. Its heroes forgotten. Until one chance discovery... Idris has neither aged nor slept since they remade him in the war. And one of humanity's heroes now scrapes by on a freelance salvage vessel, to avoid the attention of greater powers. After earth was destroyed, mankind created a fighting elite to save their species, enhanced humans such as Idris. In the silence of space they could communicate, mind-to-mind, with the enemy. Then their alien aggressors, the Architects, simply disappeared—and Idris and his kind became obsolete. Now, fifty years later, Idris and his crew have discovered something strange abandoned in space. It's clearly the work of the Architects—but are they returning? And if so, why? Hunted by gangsters, cults and governments, Idris and his crew race across the galaxy hunting for answers. For they now possess something of incalculable value, that many would kill to obtain.
Old 11-26-2021, 09:31 AM   #5516
ReadingManiac
Genre Jumper
ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaffeineAbuser View Post

They are:
1. Dragonflight
2. Dragonquest
3. Dragonsong
4. Dragonsinger
5. The White Dragon
6. Dragondrums
7. Moreta
9. Dragonsdawn

All the best ones. If I didn't already have them in hard copy I'd jump on this.
ReadingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 09:54 AM   #5517
sufue
lost in my e-reader...
sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Sony T1, Nook ST Glowlight, Galaxy Tab 7 Plus
Today's US Kindle Black Friday deal has an omnibus of all eight titles (seven books and a collection of novellas) in the Throne of Glass series by Sarah J Maas for $5.99. And it's (more than) matched and discountable at Kobo US - with my VIP membership, it's showing as $4.85 for me there. Of course, YMMV. This might be a good deal even if you already have a few of the books in the set. (Now I have to go see how many I already have , since I remember I read several from the library, but also bought a few.) Titles are: Throne of Glass, Crown of Midnight, Heir of Fire, Queen of Shadows, Empire of Storms, Tower of Dawn, Kingdom of Ash, and the companion anthology The Assassin's Blade

Kindle US: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08PD33VZ3
Kindle US/Smile: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B08PD33VZ3
Kobo US: https://www.kobo.com/us/en/ebook/thr...ebook-bundle-1

Spoiler:
Quote:
One of the best fantasy book series of the past decade - Time Magazine

When magic has gone from the world and a vicious king rules from his throne of glass, an assassin comes to the castle. She is a prisoner, but if she can defeat twenty-three killers, thieves, and warriors in a competition to find the greatest assassin in the land, she will become the king's champion and earn her freedom. But the evil she encounters in the castle goes deep, and as dark forces gather on the horizon – forces which threaten to destroy her entire world – the assassin must take her place in a fight greater than she could ever have imagined.

This is the epic, heart-stopping fantasy series that has turned #1 New York Times bestselling author Sarah J. Maas into a worldwide phenomenon. Fans new and old will dive into this ebook bundle containing the whole series: Throne of Glass, Crown of Midnight, Heir of Fire, Queen of Shadows, Empire of Storms, Tower of Dawn, the thrilling finale Kingdom of Ash, and the companion anthology The Assassin's Blade.

Last edited by sufue; 11-26-2021 at 10:00 AM.
sufue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 11:56 AM   #5518
salty-horse
Wizard

Reviewers either hate Throne of Glass or love to hate-read it. Would you recommend it?
Old 11-26-2021, 03:26 PM   #5519
sufue
lost in my e-reader...
sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Sony T1, Nook ST Glowlight, Galaxy Tab 7 Plus
I've read several of these (three? four?), and liked them. Perhaps I'm not quite as jaded as the other reviewers, since I'm pretty recent to reading much fantasy. I'm also pretty tolerant as a reader - if there's any element I like (the plot, or the writing, or a particular character, or something), I'll usually be happy. Just about the only thing that's a show-stopper for me is sloppy writing/poor grammar. (My mother was an English teacher...) And, as one of those reviews said, the language is a little overblown at times, but to me, it sort of seemed okay in the fantasy context.

In this case, like your "love-to-hate" review said, I just enjoyed the stories enough to keep reading them. (And I do put down books I don't like, never to come back. Or sometimes I just get bored and skip to the end. But these kept me reading.) This bundle also got posted on the Romance thread, and over there I said I saw them more as fantasy, but in the grey area in-between fantasy and romance. I wouldn't pay full-price for them, but I wouldn't pay full-price for much of anything, with only a handful of exceptions. And this bundle is a good deal, especially if you get it at Kobo with the "partners" coupon and/or if you're a Kobo VIP.

Hope this helps...

Quote:
Originally Posted by salty-horse View Post
Reviewers either hate Throne of Glass or love to hate-read it. Would you recommend it?

Last edited by sufue; 11-26-2021 at 03:33 PM.
sufue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 08:15 AM   #5520
salty-horse
Wizard

Appleseed by Matt Bell is $2.99 on Amazon.com
Quote:
In eighteenth-century Ohio, two brothers travel into the wooded frontier, planting apple orchards from which they plan to profit in the years to come. As they remake the wilderness in their own image, planning for a future of settlement and civilization, the long-held bonds and secrets between the two will be tested, fractured and broken—and possibly healed.

Fifty years from now, in the second half of the twenty-first century, climate change has ravaged the Earth. Having invested early in genetic engineering and food science, one company now owns all the world’s resources. But a growing resistance is working to redistribute both land and power—and in a pivotal moment for the future of humanity, one of the company’s original founders will return to headquarters, intending to destroy what he helped build.

A thousand years in the future, North America is covered by a massive sheet of ice. One lonely sentient being inhabits a tech station on top of the glacier—and in a daring and seemingly impossible quest, sets out to follow a homing beacon across the continent in the hopes of discovering the last remnant of civilization.

Last edited by salty-horse; 11-27-2021 at 03:25 PM.