Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-21-2009, 01:36 PM   #301
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by carld View Post
And how exactly are they going to check every book uploaded? They can't just check the title and author.
And this is enough. You cannot sell a book with the wrong content.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 01:36 PM   #302
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
If Amazon can't verify that they are authorized to distribute the content, then you think it's OK for them to do so? The only penalty should be that when they are informed that it was unauthorized that they just need to take it down. No harm, no foul.

Think about what you're saying. Do you really feel that distributing content should be perfectly OK as long as you're unaware whether the content came from an authorized source or an unauthorized one?
In what way is it any different to a "physical" bookstore? Do you really think that Barnes and Noble, to use a random example, "verify" the legality of every book that is supplied to them by a publisher? I very strongly suspect that they (reasonably) assume that the publisher is not a crook.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-21-2009, 01:42 PM   #303
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
I have not seen anything indication that MobiPocket books uploaded to MobiPocket ends up at Amazon.
They do. I speak from personal experience.

Take a look at:

https://www.mobipocket.com/ebookbase...e/pub_info.asp

You can sign up as a publisher and see for yourself if you choose not to accept my word.

They way it actually works is that you upload your books using the "eBookBase" system at Mobipocket. For each book, you can choose which retailers the book will get distributed to. "Amazon.com" is one of those retailers.

The first time you do this, Amazon then send you some forms to fill in and fax back to them, which are all about US tax payments, etc. Once you fill those in and fax them back to Amazon, your books then appear in the Kindle eBook store.

I've attached a screen shot showing you what the retailer selection page looks like. Amazon's entry is lower down the list.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	eBookBase.jpg
Views:	338
Size:	160.7 KB
ID:	32741  

Last edited by HarryT; 07-21-2009 at 02:00 PM. Reason: Attached screenshot
Old 07-21-2009, 01:45 PM   #304
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
And this is enough. You cannot sell a book with the wrong content.
Of course you can. You can upload a Harry Potter book with your name and a different title on it. It's still just as much a copyright violation. If I collect short stories from the net and sell them as a collection under my name and title it's still a copyright violation, and there's no way to check that before the fact without checking every single thing that gets uploaded form everyone.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 01:46 PM   #305
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
In what way is it any different to a "physical" bookstore? Do you really think that Barnes and Noble, to use a random example, "verify" the legality of every book that is supplied to them by a publisher? I very strongly suspect that they (reasonably) assume that the publisher is not a crook.
We're not talking about Publishers making mistakes. This thread is about a random user on the internet who uploaded unauthorized content to Amazon, which Amazon then re-distributed without verification of the content.

If you think what Amazon did is perfectly OK, then you're also saying that all P2P sharing should be OK as long as people just take a file down when the copyright owner asks them to. No harm, no foul.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-21-2009, 01:51 PM   #306
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
and there's no way to check that before the fact without checking every single thing that gets uploaded form everyone.
If you're going to sell/distribute content from unknown sources, you should be checking.

Otherwise you're gambling that ALL copyright violations will be handled with a DMCA takedown instead of a lawsuit.
Old 07-21-2009, 01:53 PM   #307
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
We're not talking about Publishers making mistakes. This thread is about a random user on the internet who uploaded unauthorized content to Amazon, which Amazon then re-distributed without verification of the content.

If you think what Amazon did is perfectly OK, then you're also saying that all P2P sharing should be OK as long as people just take a file down when the copyright owner asks them to. No harm, no foul.
What I'm asking you is how Amazon can tell the difference between a "legit" publisher and a rogue individual. The internet makes it pretty easy for anyone to look like a legitimate company. If I sign up with Amazon and say that I am the "New York Publishing Corporation" (or whatever), how can Amazon verify that I am not who I claim to be?
Old 07-21-2009, 01:54 PM   #308
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

Nope, that's an entirely different thing.
Old 07-21-2009, 01:55 PM   #309
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
They do. I speak from personal experience.
What you claimed and I quoted was that they uploaded for another region like Australia and that upload automatically was sent to Amazon. I really do not believe it work that way.

In a later posting you said you that they made a mistake and selected all regions which is another claim then the one I quoted.
Old 07-21-2009, 01:56 PM   #310
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Amazon did not, the uploader did.
Amazon directly charges and profits from people downloading the content. Amazon sells the content. Amazon is not "blind" to the content, it's not as if it's encrypted content they have no way to look into. So Amazon is quite responsible for distributing copyrighted material without permission.

Sure, the uploader is responsible too, but (in my view) less so, especially if he/she uploads content that is PD where he/she lives and just overlooks that he/she is implicitly giving permission to Amazon for selling it in the US (something which, anyway, he/she has no right to do, so Amazon should not just trust it). And it can be argued that the copyright infringement on Amazon's part was unintentional and good-willing, but it's still there.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 01:58 PM   #311
tompe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Of course you can. You can upload a Harry Potter book with your name and a different title on it. It's still just as much a copyright violation. If I collect short stories from the net and sell them as a collection under my name and title it's still a copyright violation, and there's no way to check that before the fact without checking every single thing that gets uploaded form everyone.
Yes, you can sell some copies but what I meant is that you will not sell many copies before somebody notice that the content is wrong and report the book so that it is removed. So there is no economical reason for doing that. And it is probably fraud or something else which will be prosecuted as a crime.
Old 07-21-2009, 01:59 PM   #312
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
What you claimed and I quoted was that they uploaded for another region like Australia and that upload automatically was sent to Amazon. I really do not believe it work that way.

In a later posting you said you that they made a mistake and selected all regions which is another claim then the one I quoted.
You select the retailers to whom your books should be sent. That defaults to "All Retailers". I have attached a screen shot to my previous post #304 above to illustrate this.
Old 07-21-2009, 02:03 PM   #313
tompe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
You select the retailers to whom your books should be sent. That defaults to "All Retailers". I have attached a screen shot to my previous post #304 above to illustrate this.
Yes, that is a reasonable way for it to work. I realize now that the text I commented on can be read in two ways. I probably read it in a different way then you intended it to be read.
Old 07-21-2009, 02:09 PM   #314
carld
Wizard

Quote:
Yes, you can sell some copies but what I meant is that you will not sell many copies before somebody notice that the content is wrong and report the book so that it is removed. So there is no economical reason for doing that. And it is probably fraud or something else which will be prosecuted as a crime.
Well of course, that's what I've been saying. Remove the copyright violations as they are discovered. That's the way everyone who does this sort of thing operates. That's not good enough for some people though, they single out Amazon as having to pre-screen everything.

Carl
Old 07-21-2009, 02:11 PM   #315
Shaggy
Wizard

Quote:
What I'm asking you is how Amazon can tell the difference between a "legit" publisher and a rogue individual. The internet makes it pretty easy for anyone to look like a legitimate company. If I sign up with Amazon and say that I am the "New York Publishing Corporation" (or whatever), how can Amazon verify that I am not who I claim to be?
So a user downloading content from P2P isn't expected to to be able to tell the difference between a legitimate distributor and a rogue individual. So if that user turns around and shares the same file back out, everything is OK?