Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-09-2009, 01:14 PM   #1
Stacey34
Connoisseur
Stacey34 doesn't litterStacey34 doesn't litter

Device: Sony 505 (Red)
Hi! I'm a NOOB with a question

I do not have one of these devices yet but as soon as I found out that they existed I knew I would be getting one. I cannot believe that I had never heard of digital readers. I love to read and I am such an electronic geek! Actually, I have a birthday coming in May and I believe that I have dropped enough hints to my family that I should be getting one at that time (keep your fingers crossed for me!).
My question is, on the Sony site they occassionally have free books that you can download. I am curious as to whether I can download them onto my computer and have them for when I get my 505. If someone could let me know it would be greatly appreciated.
I also want to add how much help this website has been in learning all I can about this reader.
Thank you all!
Stacey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 01:21 PM   #2
HistoryWes
Teacher/Novelist
HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR, iPad
Absolutely yes. Download them from Freedbooks.com, manybooks.org, and right here. Go ahead and download Calibre (see the forum). It will help you organize your books and it has a built in reader.
HistoryWes is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-09-2009, 01:21 PM   #3
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
You can download the Sony Ebookstore software from below

http://ebookstore.sony.com/download/

You will probably need to register with Sony (don't need to have a device). Then download the free books you want.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 01:21 PM   #4
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by grooks View Post

You will probably need to register with Sony (don't need to have a device). Then download the free books you want.
Was going to say this.

I got my 505 for my birthday last May Best gift ever!
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 01:22 PM   #5
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Hello Stacy and welcome to MobileRead.

When you get your device, you'll wonder how you ever did without it.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-09-2009, 01:28 PM   #6
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
I got my 505 for my birthday last May Best gift ever!
Mine was a Valentine's Day gift. She's so good to me.
Old 02-09-2009, 01:32 PM   #7
AbFabGab
Gadget-Luster
AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Samsung Galaxy Tab S2
Quote:
Mine was a Valentine's Day gift. She's so good to me.
So was mine! : )
I love it!
AbFabGab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 01:38 PM   #8
akwant
closed
akwant has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.akwant has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.akwant has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: ---
Question

Quote:

but, but... the Sony page says:

Question
How do I redeem my 100 Free Classics promotion?
Answer
The “100 Free eBook Classics” promotion will be automatically credited to your*eBooks account once you authorize your Reader Digital Book.*
IMPORTANT:*You MUST authorize your Reader prior to purchasing Sony Classic Titles to avoid being charged.*

now, I’m confused...
akwant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 01:40 PM   #9
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by akwant View Post
but, but... the Sony page says:

Question
How do I redeem my 100 Free Classics promotion?
Answer
The “100 Free eBook Classics” promotion will be automatically credited to your*eBooks account once you authorize your Reader Digital Book.*
IMPORTANT:*You MUST authorize your Reader prior to purchasing Sony Classic Titles to avoid being charged.*

now, I’m confused...
Those are just the free Sony classics, all of which you can get here on MR (to get those free on Sony, yes you have to register your device). I think she was talking about the other free books that pop up, like the Random House promo, the 16 Harlequin books, etc.
Old 02-09-2009, 01:43 PM   #10
akwant
closed
akwant has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.akwant has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.akwant has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: ---
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
Those are just the free Sony classics, all of which you can get here on MR (to get those free on Sony, yes you have to register your device). I think she was talking about the other free books that pop up, like the Random House promo, the 16 Harlequin books, etc.
thank, you. I should read more carefully.
akwant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 01:51 PM   #11
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
You can get all 100 + more right here, free. It's the link in the first blue bar at the top of the page.

There are always threads posted on the forums when new batches of freebies are available, so just keep your eyes open and check in daily. You do not have to get all of them from Sony. What you want to download from other sites are things in LRF format. And Adobe Digital Editions works well also. And there are plenty of suggestions on the Sony forums here of how to coax downloaded books that are not specifically for a 505 onto your machine.

(When, oh when, are they going to make that link a big red blinking icon? It's so awkward to explain about the blue bar all the time. It should be big and eye-catching. Top and center of the page. And I'll shut up now, seeing as I wouldn't have a clue how to do that, so why am I complaining?)

Last edited by DixieGal; 02-09-2009 at 01:55 PM.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 01:59 PM   #12
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi Stacey34 and welcome to the Forum. A friend of mine anticipates getting a 505 soon and she's been downloading every free book on the Sony site she can get her hands on.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 02:22 PM   #13
Stacey34
Connoisseur
Stacey34 doesn't litterStacey34 doesn't litter

Device: Sony 505 (Red)
Wow, that was super fast response time! Thank you all so much!
Now I am so excited to get home and download these books. Actually, I love a romance novel every now and then.
Yes, it is killing me to have to wait until May. Plus it's not until the very end of May.
I can see myself taking this thing everywhere I go. I'll be back whenever I have more questions.
Thanks again for the replies!
Stacey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 02:30 PM   #14
grooks
Wizard

This is one of those devices that I never leave home without it.
Old 02-09-2009, 02:32 PM   #15
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacey34 View Post
Wow, that was super fast response time! Thank you all so much!
Now I am so excited to get home and download these books. Actually, I love a romance novel every now and then.
Yes, it is killing me to have to wait until May. Plus it's not until the very end of May.
I can see myself taking this thing everywhere I go. I'll be back whenever I have more questions.
Thanks again for the replies!
I would be bugging them for an early birthday present