Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 03-24-2013, 05:06 PM   #1
saxondawg
Connoisseur
saxondawg is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!saxondawg is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!saxondawg is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!saxondawg is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!saxondawg is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!saxondawg is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!saxondawg is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!saxondawg is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!saxondawg is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!saxondawg is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!saxondawg is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: kindle paperwhite
Indenting and "Remove line

Like many, I hate lines between every paragraph--but hate to lose the line between SETS of paragraph that establishes a scene change in many novels. In other words, I'm hesitant to check "remove lines between paragraphs" because I will delete some of the author's formatting this way.

However, if I don't check that "remove" box, I then have no control over the indent size--and the indent seems to go from 1.5 em to something too small. This puzzles me. How can I guarantee a 1.5 em paragraph indent without removing ALL blank lines between paragraphs? And just out of curiosity, why should that control be taken away from us if we don't check the box?
saxondawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 07:48 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by saxondawg View Post
Like many, I hate lines between every paragraph--but hate to lose the line between SETS of paragraph that establishes a scene change in many novels. In other words, I'm hesitant to check "remove lines between paragraphs" because I will delete some of the author's formatting this way.

However, if I don't check that "remove" box, I then have no control over the indent size--and the indent seems to go from 1.5 em to something too small. This puzzles me. How can I guarantee a 1.5 em paragraph indent without removing ALL blank lines between paragraphs? And just out of curiosity, why should that control be taken away from us if we don't check the box?
Welcome to why I use Sigil to fine tune.

I just identify the class being used for the Paragraph and edit that in the stylesheet.
I like both paragraph gaps AND Indent
I use .5em for the top paragraph margin (using a bottom margin may cause a blank pag on the last P)
I got tired of trying to figure out how to get the body class to use/arrive at font-size: 1.2em
so I just *fix* those (along with other corrections/adjustments) with sigil
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-25-2013, 06:29 AM   #3
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
However, if I don't check that "remove" box, I then have no control over the indent size--and the indent seems to go from 1.5 em to something too small. This puzzles me. How can I guarantee a 1.5 em paragraph indent without removing ALL blank lines between paragraphs?
I second theducks suggestion of using Sigil to fine tune your books'

Quote:
And just out of curiosity, why should that control be taken away from us if we don't check the box?
The remove line and indent size was implemented as one combined feature.

Calibre was never intended for fine tuning a book, but early on (about 4 years ago) folks were clamoring for some help in this area so Kovid created this feature. The thought being if you removed the lines between paragraphs then you would require an indent to let you know where the new paragraph started and if you left the spaces in between paragraphs then indents weren't as critical.

Since then Sigil has been developed and allows you to adjust the paragraph CSS for indents and margins quite easily. Even Calibre now has the ability for you to unpack a book and manually edit the CSS.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 11:26 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
An otherwise 'clean' ebook takes a couple of minutes to do a quick tuneup with Sigil. That includes Validating, removing unused CSS entries.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 01:29 PM   #5
saxondawg
Connoisseur
saxondawg is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!saxondawg is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!saxondawg is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!saxondawg is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!saxondawg is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!saxondawg is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!saxondawg is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!saxondawg is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!saxondawg is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!saxondawg is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!saxondawg is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

I've manually fine-tuned CSS code in the past, but it just seems like this one important little tweak wouldn't be hard to put into the Calibre conversion process. If I knew what the CSS coding would be for Calibre's own fine-tuning (maybe someone can help) I would put it in myself. I made one try--sure something's wrong with my form--and it didn't work.

<style>
p {text-indent:25px;}
</style>

Last edited by saxondawg; 03-25-2013 at 01:55 PM.
Advert
Old 03-25-2013, 03:34 PM   #6
saxondawg
Connoisseur

EDIT: I did pretty quickly figure out how to do this in Sigil. It's certainly relatively efficient--just something i never had to add to the Calibre conversion until recently. i assume I have to first convert to epub (since I don't use that format) and then back to the mobi that I use for Kindle. It's a better solution than none, but I want to figure out how to do this in Calibre fine-tuning. But all in all, this isn't a huge issue anyway. I can certainly read with small indents.

Last edited by saxondawg; 03-25-2013 at 03:54 PM.