Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-29-2012, 05:53 PM   #1
PharaohsVizier
Connoisseur
PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle DXG, Kindle Fire, Kindle Touch
Broken Kindle DXG, can I repair with DX1 motherboard?

I have a Kindle DXG that I spilled water on. The buttons on the right side fail to work, that means the home, menu, back and page buttons do not work at all (though the 5 way controller and keyboard is fine).

I'm looking into repairing the device myself and was basically wondering if I can purchase a Kindle DX (not graphite) motherboard and use it on the device. I figure the hardware is quite similar and honestly don't mind if there is a minor difference in how it presents itself. I guess the easiest way of asking this is if I can put the DXG's pearl screen in the Kindle DX1.

So main question is, am I heading in the right direction, with those side buttons broken, should I replace the motherboard, and if so, can I get away with buying one of the DX ones instead of the DXG board?

Side info:
I've done the basic troubleshooting steps, starting with drying it with silica packets for a week before turning it on, hard resetting the device, and I've even used Yilanfu's restore. So I think that it is most likely a hardware issue instead of a software issue.

The DX motherboards are rather cheap online, won't even have to break a twenty for it, but once it is the latest generation, the price skyrockets. I've looked at the photos, and it looks like it'd fit the casing just fine. There are slight differences in the chips, but again, I don't mind if there is a tiny difference in speed, what's important is to retain the pearl screen.

I've contacted support already, unfortunately the Kindle is out of warranty. They generously offered to fix it for a pretty reasonable fee or to sell me a device at a discounted price. If this all works out, the plan is to buy the cheaper device while saving my DXG on a budget.

Thanks for the help!
PharaohsVizier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 01:10 AM   #2
ThomasC
Thunder Down Under
ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.

Device: kindle dxg, K3, K4nt, iPhone
It's unkikely that the older DX will have the same screen controller as the newer DXG pearl screen, and even if it did the calibrations may be different.

If I were you I'd take Amazon up on either their repair or replace options.

Good head's up on potential water damage. Next time I take my DXG to read by the pool it's going to be in a zip-lock baggy, lol!

Cheers,
Tom
ThomasC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-01-2012, 02:53 AM   #3
PharaohsVizier
Connoisseur
PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm not entirely sure about that. I did some searching for parts, and basically the Kindle DX uses the ED097OC1 screen while the DXG uses the ED097OC4. Yes they are different, but when I looked through Chinese shops, a lot of sellers try and sell the crappier ED097OC1 screens as Kindle DXG screens. I don't know if that is because they can get away with it, as the screen would work, or if this is negligence?
Old 03-01-2012, 05:32 AM   #4
giorgio130
Time Waster
giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo and Aura HD
If I were you I'd just get a broken dxg, the only reason for using an old dx would be having already one available but then you could just try and see why are you thinking about using a dx motherboard instead of the proper one?
giorgio130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 12:47 PM   #5
PharaohsVizier
Connoisseur

Well yea, I'd certainly prefer just getting a broken DXG as well or finding the DXG motherboard. But the cost difference is huge. I can get the DX board for under $20 whereas the DXG motherboards cost just shy of a hundred.

The way I see it, I can sell my own Amazon Kindle DXG for about ~$100 on the market with the broken buttons, sold as-is. Of course that changes the value of things and makes the DXG board a lot less attractive.
Advert
Old 03-01-2012, 01:58 PM   #6
giorgio130
Time Waster
giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You can also try to fix your motherboard, it could be some dirt is bridging contacts... disassemble your unit and give a look at that before going with expensive options! If you're serious about selling at 100$ I'd be interested
Old 03-01-2012, 04:57 PM   #7
PharaohsVizier
Connoisseur

I'll definitely open it up, maybe over the weekend, if it's anything like the other Kindles, should be easy. Thanks for the advice.

And I am serious about selling it at $100 once I've exhausted the obvious solutions, so if I could take a rain check on that.

---------

And these Chinese sellers of screens, I've asked a bunch of them, I've had 4 replies so far. 2 of them said it'd work no problem, and 2 of them said it wouldn't. Hmmmm
Old 03-13-2012, 08:09 PM   #8
PharaohsVizier
Connoisseur

Thought I should update this, you were right, dirty contacts. Didn't notice it on a cursory look, but it was the ribbon cable that was dirty, scratched asides everything cleaned it out, everything works again. Though I did damage the front cover a little...
Old 03-14-2012, 01:11 PM   #9
giorgio130
Time Waster

Nice to know even if I suppose this way we'll never know if a DX1 motherboard would fit in a DXG ;P
Old 03-15-2012, 03:21 AM   #10
PharaohsVizier
Connoisseur

Unfortunately no, but asides from the actual physical fit, I'm fairly certain the pearl screen would work. I've messaged quite a few sellers of the screen and there were a good 6 or 7 sellers that said it would work without a hitch, with one guy that seemed to genuinely know what he was talking about. There were 3 that said it wouldn't work, but I think that may just be the seller picking the safe side rather than risk selling goods that don't work. But yea, seems like I'm the only one who considered this so we may never really know.

Tags
graphite, repairs