Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 10-05-2011, 12:41 PM   #1
MichaelKaufman
MichaelKaufman began at the beginning.

Device: none
JPEGs choppy/fuzzy in epub

I'm creating a graphic for an epub as follows:
- designed it in InDesign 5.5 (it's mainly letters but one line drawing)
- exported as a JPEG
- in Photoshop, cropped in.
- in my ID book layout, I placed the JPEG. It looks great, the letters are all sharp

But when I export to epub and open it in a reader, the letters look terrible, choppy and amateurish.
I've tried on different object export settings (fixed, relative. Jpeg, giff) but nothing seems to make a difference.

Any help would be appreciated!
MichaelKaufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 03:00 PM   #2
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
After you've exported the ePub, open it with an archiving program (WinZip, WinRAR, 7-Zip, etc) and replace the offending pictures with the original JPEG files you exported.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-05-2011, 03:20 PM   #3
MichaelKaufman

then do I rename the jpeg?

Thanks for the reply, ilovejedd.
I copied the original JPEG into my OEBPS/Images folder.
I gave it the name as the one that was in there and changed the name of the original.
When I looked at the epub, there was only a ? where the image should be.
So I went into the content.opf file. In the manifest, it is href'ing to a title for the jpeg that is slightly different than the old jpeg file that I replaced (but which did show up, even though the quality was low.)

What now?

Thanks!
Michael
Old 10-05-2011, 03:23 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If you are viewing your ePub in ADE for Windows, then the problem lies there. If there is any resizing to be done in ADE for Windows, it does a poor job of it. ADE on Sony Readers does a quite nice job of rendering images when they have to be resized.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 03:31 PM   #5
MichaelKaufman

I've looked at it in both Calibre and Sony Reader (on my desktop) and in both cases the letters have a sketchy quality.
thanks, m
Advert
Old 10-06-2011, 03:12 AM   #6
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
If it is a simple images, perhaps you can convert it to vector graphics (svg). That would solve the resize issues.

With renaming, take care. The names are case-sensitive.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 04:23 AM   #7
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
If "it's mainly letters but one line drawing", try saving it as PNG instead, it should give more quality with a smaller size. (SVG would be better, but is more poorly supported.)

The resizing problem will probably the same, though.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 11:33 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Why are you using JPEG format for a graphic consisting of lettering and a line drawing? It's the worse possible choice of format for such a thing - the JPEG compression with "blur out" the edges of the letters and the lines.

Use the correct format for the job at hand: JPEG for real-world photographs, PNG for lettering, block graphics, line drawings, etc.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 12:28 PM   #9
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Why are you using JPEG format for a graphic consisting of lettering and a line drawing? It's the worse possible choice of format for such a thing - the JPEG compression with "blur out" the edges of the letters and the lines.

Use the correct format for the job at hand: JPEG for real-world photographs, PNG for lettering, block graphics, line drawings, etc.
Didn't notice it was just letters and line drawings. If so, yes, PNG is a much better format. Ideally, SVG is even better but few readers support it.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 01:06 PM   #10
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
I thought SVG was part of the specs? Which readers don't support it then?
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jpegs