Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 07-04-2010, 04:38 AM   #1
afa
The Forgotten
afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite; Nook HD; Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
What's Customs playing at??

So I was contacted today by my shipper. My nook has arrived here, but because the original shipment didn't include the invoice, US Customs 're-evaluated' the device... at $600!!

WTF?!?

Now, I understand it's not possible for Cusoms to keep up-to-date with every price fluctuation in the market, but even the pre-price drop value of the nook was $259. Add in the cover, and it's $289. Where the #$%! did they get six hundred from??

Now, I'm going to have to pay an additional $50 to my local customs for duty, because the 'evaluated' price of the shipment is well over the threshold for free shipments ($270).

I'm f***ing annoyed.
afa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 04:56 AM   #2
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
***I'm f***ing annoyed***

So you should be, Afa. You should bill someone for this ... but I've not a clue who. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 05:27 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Will they not accept proof (eg the B&N web site) of what the device costs?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 05:39 AM   #4
afa
The Forgotten
afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I sent them a screenshot from my B&N order page, which clearly shows the total value of my order to be under $200. But Aramex (the shipper/couriers I got it shipped through) say that the charge is payable to customs, so they can't do anything.

One woman I spoke to in customer service said that Dubai Customs are the one that evaluated the shipment. But the person who I communicated through email with said it was evaluated in US. So now I don't know who to believe, but either way the evaluation seems decidedly arbitrary. I mean, on what basis has it been evaluated at $600? It seems like someone just saw it was an e-reader, didn't really know what it was, then was told, "Oh, ebook reader? That's like the iPad, right? Let's just call it $600 even."

Either way, it doesn't look like there's anything I can do about it. If it's local customs, they are generally not that easy to convince. For the most part, I expect them to tell me, "Take it or leave it." And if it's US Customs... well, nothing I can do about that. The item's already here, and I'm certainly not going to send it back. I've already paid B&N, so looks like I'm just going to have to eat the cost.
Old 07-04-2010, 04:07 PM   #5
Sockdog
Sockdog began at the beginning.

Device: undecided
If I had to guess I'd say your carrier failed to provide the necessary customs paperwork. In the US you have a certain period to correct customs entries and I would hope the carrier could do the same and have customs adjust the value accordingly and so lower your duties.

You might want to contact B&N customer service and ask them if they can provide a commercial invoice for export, this should list not only the value but also HSN number, description etc which customs should take more notice of.
Sockdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 05:32 PM   #6
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sockdog View Post
If I had to guess I'd say your carrier failed to provide the necessary customs paperwork.
This sounds like it.

Whenever I mail anything overseas I have to state the value and it's written on a custom's form taped to the package. B&N wouldnt do this since it was shipped to a US address.

Does Aramex do the actually shipping to Dubai? If so, then they would be the one to correct the package value and notify Dubai customs. Of course, they would need an invoice to do this.

For future purchases it would seem an invoice from the retailer would need to be included and that may require a phone call to cust service since usu only a packing slip is provided.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 06:46 PM   #7
rdfry
loving the books
rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted Nook, Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4, Galaxy Note 5, 2 Fire 7s Note 8
Sounds like the government of dubai has found a way to make up some of their huge deficit.
rdfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 12:35 AM   #8
Thrasher
Groupie
Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Wifi
This seems really strange. It obviously was UAE customs that evaluated the Nook at $600. The US customs have nothing to do with it, they don't care what is going out of the country... only what is coming in.

What would happen here in Canada in this case you would not be charged customs at all if they couldn't determine the value. Only in certain cases (cigarettes etc) they do an educated guess.

But either way there is always a way to appeal the customs charges to Canada customs either by refusing to pay customs and sending back the parcel to customs for reevaluation or by paying the owed amount and calling the toll free number and appealing the decision by providing proper paperwork.

I'm pretty sure that UAE customs should work on similar bases. Make sure you call them or send them a letter with all the documentation (invoice etc.) stating how much your Nook cost and ask them to credit you back the amount that they overcharged you...
Thrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 12:42 AM   #9
afa
The Forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
For future purchases it would seem an invoice from the retailer would need to be included and that may require a phone call to cust service since usu only a packing slip is provided.
Yeah, that's what Aramex told me, too. Here's what customer service told me via email:
Quote:
Kindly note that your shipment was received in our New York facility without an invoice and was re-evaluated by US customs before forwarding to the destination. The declared value of the origin is the amount that will be followed by Dubai customs for duties. To avoid any confusion on the duty amount, always ask your supplier to include the invoice on your package
Of course, this was information that could have helped me before I actually placed the order. I had called Aramex to confirm the ordering procedure before I actually ordered the nook, and while the guy gave me the required information (put this as street address, this here, etc.), at no point did he bother telling me, "By the way, make sure the invoice is included to avoid any confusion with the shipment's value." Since this was the first time I've ever ordered anything online, I was unaware of these details.

*sigh*

Oh well, live and learn, I guess. The sad part is, I'm not even that surprised. This sort of partial information is quite typical with customer service people in Dubai.
Old 07-05-2010, 01:13 AM   #10
bleugh
Enthusiast
bleugh began at the beginning.

Device: nook
D'oh!
another lesson learned and not forgotten in a hurry

think yourself lucky though, Had you been in the UK you'd have incurred a charge for any order over 30 quid (GBP)

for a Nook and given the current exchange rates, you'd have been paying far more than $50 in import duties, VAT and handling!
bleugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 02:39 AM   #11
afa
The Forgotten

Thanks for that!

I've always believed that the best way to feel good about yourself is to look at others worse off.

I feel a bit better now.
Old 07-05-2010, 02:47 AM   #12
Spiffy
Groupie
Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Astak EZ Reader Pro AND Sony PRS-505
I'd speculate that Aramex might have a nice little backroom arrangement with Dubai customs--they're incorporated there I believe--except it seems that U.S. customs is the one mainly rooking you.

There must be an appeal process though.

Last edited by Spiffy; 07-05-2010 at 02:50 AM.
Spiffy is offline   Reply With Quote