Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 06-14-2013, 12:08 AM   #16
PatNY
Zennist
PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Sony PRS-350, Nook HD+ & HD
Xanthe, I'm using i.TV already as a substitute. TV Guide is better, though, for various reasons. But it isn't a biggie for me. i.TV suffices perfectly well.

So the only thing I'm missing is Yelp. Wish there was an easy way to get that.

--Pat
PatNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 04:09 AM   #17
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
I love Realplayer, it even plays videos I copied over from iTunes in Mp4 format, can't ask for more than that.

Edited to say You Tube videos btw, not bought from iTunes.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 02:13 AM   #18
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
Wal-Mart surprised me. I got a text message today that the HD+ was available for pickup in the store.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 10:07 PM   #19
tiniree
Zealot
tiniree calls his or her ebook reader Vera.tiniree calls his or her ebook reader Vera.tiniree calls his or her ebook reader Vera.tiniree calls his or her ebook reader Vera.tiniree calls his or her ebook reader Vera.tiniree calls his or her ebook reader Vera.tiniree calls his or her ebook reader Vera.tiniree calls his or her ebook reader Vera.tiniree calls his or her ebook reader Vera.tiniree calls his or her ebook reader Vera.tiniree calls his or her ebook reader Vera.

Device: Nook 1st Gen
My old Vizio tablet bit the dust last week. I was thinking I would have to wait to save enough money to get another one that was descent. Thrilled when I found Best Buy was having their wonderful sale at $149! Picked one up and like it very well.

Not all apps play on it, but as someone else said, it's not enough to bother me. The one thing I do have to get used to is the one mono speaker. But, as my husband said, if you want to watch a movie, just use the headphones.
tiniree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 10:08 AM   #20
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I was surprised too that the HD+ has only one speaker while the HD has two.
Old 06-16-2013, 01:39 PM   #21
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiniree View Post
The one thing I do have to get used to is the one mono speaker. But, as my husband said, if you want to watch a movie, just use the headphones.
Apparently the speakers are stereo, but being both at the same enclosure, defeats the point.

It's a shame manufacturers continue to put speakers at the back, one of the best features of my Nexus 10 is the front facing speakers, makes a hell of a difference when watching a movie.

When I use the HD+ I find myself wrapping my hand around the speaker to redirect the sound forwards, it helps, but it's a PITA.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 09:57 PM   #22
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
My mother has macular Degeneration and I picked up the Nook HD+ Saturday for birthday gift.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 12:02 PM   #23
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Offer "extended", but it's looking more like a permanent markdown to clear out stock.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 06:42 AM   #24
CindyLynn
CindyLynn began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite, Nook HD
I bought mine at walmart the day after fathers day. Once I found out it was on sale and had google store. The limited apps is what made me not get it before. So far so good. I have no issues with the sound. Its loud to me. But I bought the 7" its weird that the plus only has one speaker.
CindyLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 11:15 AM   #25
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyLynn View Post
But I bought the 7" its weird that the plus only has one speaker.
The HD+ has two speakers; but they're placed next to each other in the same enclosure.

Quote:
Cinema-Like Sound
Specialized audio technology on NOOK HD+ lets you enjoy your favorite movies and TV shows with high quality dual-stereo speakers. The bass & clarity are unsurpassed.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 09:45 PM   #26
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force

I'm guessing "unsurpassed" by any other equivalent ebook reader of its size.

But the sound is good from it, for its size. Much better than the speakers in my laptop, that's for sure.
Old 06-19-2013, 10:14 PM   #27
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Offer "extended", but it's looking more like a permanent markdown to clear out stock.
I'm just wondering if the Nooks are really selling at this price and that's why the sale is being extended.

They sold a huge amount when they offered the Nook HD as QVC's Special Value at the beginning of May. If they got enough good word-of-mouth among the QVC faithful (and never underestimate the power of the QVC audience) then the Mother's Day and Father's Day sales probably did well. I could see them continuing the sale because of that.

All the doom and gloom predictions about the continuation of the Nook as a viable device might be premature.

I am finding the Nook HD to be a very convenient device to carry around. I've reached the age where reading and internet access on a cell phone isn't very compatible with my eyesight. I like being able to read and surf and play games on the same device. I like that I can set up separate profiles for my niece and nephew and they can enjoy software and books suitable to their age groups when I babysit them. My cell phone has never been permanently attached to my ear (or my fingertips) as it is for different generations, so the Nook is a perfect device for my needs. There is a still a large untapped market out there for these devices and hopefully word-of-mouth will sell the product better than B&N's marketing dept.
Old 06-21-2013, 03:01 PM   #28
jpisini
jpisini began at the beginning.

Device: Nook HD+
Got the HD+ as a father's day present very impressed. I had an older tablet that this has replaced. No issues so far runs well and handles everything I have tried so far.
jpisini is offline   Reply With Quote