Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-24-2012, 06:33 PM   #136
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Tır
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakajawaka View Post
Ok I have another problem now. Cannot find /etc/updater.conf

nor /usr/bin/process_update

Feel like I must be missing something really obvious :/
okay...

are you in the root /

or are you in /mnt/us...

Screenie!!! (speaks a thousand woes)
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 08:22 PM   #137
wakajawaka
wakajawaka began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
okay...

are you in the root /

or are you in /mnt/us...

Screenie!!! (speaks a thousand woes)
Well I'm just accesing it via windows.

I'm guessing I should access with some software? Or maybe boot up with linux?

Thanks a lot for your help.
wakajawaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 08:26 PM   #138
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Access it via ssh, which give you system level access as the administrative user: "root".
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 08:27 PM   #139
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

yeah. that is actually /mnt/us in terms of the main system.

Putty can work on windows to access linux systems.

There are guides to SSH to the kindle 3 on the wiki, many threads

and in the USBnetwork readme even maybe there are some clues to the ip's and authentication methods required/options

http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/

Get root access. try again

IIRC you can configure root access via USB (check the usbnetworking docs) or be a player and break that puppies WIFI back.

: )

Last edited by twobob; 10-24-2012 at 09:06 PM. Reason: plurality
Old 10-24-2012, 08:30 PM   #140
twobob

TIP:

[root@kindle root]# lipc-set-prop -i com.lab126.powerd preventScreenSaver 1

or use Kaffiene.

Usbnetworking will need mode cycling if you let it drop to screensaver while WIFI connected.

On my system I simply enter
[root@kindle root]# usbnetworking; usbnetworking
to fix this issue when I forget
(In MyTs 8 terminal on the kindle)

Good Luck.
Old 10-25-2012, 11:43 AM   #141
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@twobob: Try setting USE_VOLUMD to true in the USBNetwork config, that may help with the WiFi issue.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 12:22 PM   #142
twobob

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@twobob: Try setting USE_VOLUMD to true in the USBNetwork config, that may help with the WiFi issue.
try even having that in my config

added it now! USE_VOLUMD="true"

thanks

(I did notice it burbling the error about it being missing)
must have trashed it at some point
Old 10-25-2012, 12:26 PM   #143
wakajawaka
wakajawaka began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
So, this is embarrassing...

I was installing USBnetworking when I realisad that I was installing the .bin wrong. I was restarting instead of using the update option. ._.

So I tried installing the updates provider again and it installed... it works blocking the updates. The device has had a crash since (had to force restart) so I'll keep an eye on that, but it is much easier than accesing via ssh.
wakajawaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 01:12 PM   #144
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@twobob: Nah, if the installer detects a custom config, it doesn't overwrite the user's, that's probably why you don't have it (... provided you're using a somewhat recent USBNet build, I added the uvolumd stuff in v0.4x ^^. But if you caught the warning about the 'broken' config in the logs, you already are .).
Old 10-25-2012, 08:00 PM   #145
twobob

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@twobob: Nah, if the installer detects a custom config, it doesn't overwrite the user's, that's probably why you don't have it (... provided you're using a somewhat recent USBNet build, I added the uvolumd stuff in v0.4x ^^. But if you caught the warning about the 'broken' config in the logs, you already are .).
I got some great errors : )

really nice ones. saying things like THIS IS BAD : )

I'll post them if I get them again... will probably reinstall and raze the config pre-install tbh. bit fubar. odd behaviour. lol. TBC. nighttime
Old 10-25-2012, 08:03 PM   #146
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@twobob: Don't boot in auto mode/toggle usbnet while the Kindle is plugged . (The kernel doesn't like reloading the USB modules while one port's in use ).

(volumd is using modprobe, while the other code path uses rmmod [to avoid other, even weirder issues]. modprobe tries to remove unused parent modules when removing a module).

Last edited by NiLuJe; 10-25-2012 at 08:10 PM.

Tags
3.4, kindle 3, ota, updates