Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 05-08-2009, 08:33 AM   #1
gerraldo
Anti-DRM Advocate
gerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-books

Device: CyBook Gen 3, Palm Tungsten T3
MobiReader (PC) supports ePUB

Edit: In german version this feature is HIDDEN (like explained below), in other language versions it seems to be SHOWN (confirmed: french and english)!?

Maybe some of you know this already, but to me it was totally new that MobiReader (PC) already supports ePUB!

Just klick on IMPORT and select "all supported formats" and though it's not shown individually - like all the other formats - you can see and choose ePUB files. Imports nicely and works like a charm (with cover and all)!!!

(Just one minor bug: If the language is not set in the ePUB file you need to add this to the OPF file inside the ePUB archive (ZIP) or it won't import the file! I used DEU for German and ENG for English.)

As I convert all my eBooks to PRC before using them on the CyBook, this is a BIG plus for me and makes the support for ePUB with the new firmware release simply useless for me...

Last edited by gerraldo; 05-09-2009 at 12:18 AM.
gerraldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 10:33 AM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
MobiPocket Creator (and mobigen) can also import ePub. Another program that can do this for you is Calibre (has its own forum here).

Calibre handles the conversion of ePub formating to MOBI better than MobiPocket, but there are signs that Calibre is having an effect at MobiPocket and they are trying to catch up at their usual glacial pace.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-08-2009, 10:57 AM   #3
dauwhe
<geek type="xml"/>
dauwhe has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.dauwhe has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.dauwhe has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle, Kindle 2, Sony Reader, iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
MobiPocket Creator (and mobigen) can also import ePub. Another program that can do this for you is Calibre (has its own forum here).

Calibre handles the conversion of ePub formating to MOBI better than MobiPocket, but there are signs that Calibre is having an effect at MobiPocket and they are trying to catch up at their usual glacial pace.
I posted a bug in the Mobi forum the other day, and they actually responded! Hope springs eternal. I'm also going to be leaning on them at the Digital Book conference next week.

Dave
dauwhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 12:39 PM   #4
gerraldo
Anti-DRM Advocate
gerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-books

Quote:
Originally Posted by dauwhe View Post
I posted a bug in the Mobi forum the other day, and they actually responded! Hope springs eternal. I'm also going to be leaning on them at the Digital Book conference next week.
Maybe you can ask them why the ePUB functionality seems to be a "secret"...
Old 05-08-2009, 12:42 PM   #5
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerraldo View Post

(Just one minor bug: If the language is not set in the ePUB file you need to add this to the OPF file inside the ePUB archive (ZIP) or it won't import the file! I used DEU for German and ENG for English.)
Bug's not so minor in my book!
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-08-2009, 01:28 PM   #6
gerraldo
Anti-DRM Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtravellerh View Post
Bug's not so minor in my book!
You're right, to be honest - as this doesn't works, if language info is missing - it's a major one. But at least there is a workaround...

BTW: Would be good if it asks you for this info, if it's missing, instead of not working. However, this info doesn't seem so important to me?! File was compiled with calibre and it had UND as language (changed it to DEU and it worked).
Old 05-08-2009, 01:41 PM   #7
Idoine
Which book will be next ?
Idoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it is

Device: Cybook Gen3 1.5, Sony PRS 600 RC, Samsung Omnia...
Quote:
Maybe some of you know this already, but to me it was totally new that MobiReader (PC) already supports ePUB!

Just klick on IMPORT and select "all supported formats" and though it's not shown individually - like all the other formats - you can see and choose ePUB files. Imports nicely and works like a charm (with cover and all)!!!
Don't understand : in my Mobipocket Reader (PC), v. 6.2, build 608, EPUB documents are proposed both in Import dialogbox, and in the popup list beneath Import button...
Idoine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 02:27 PM   #8
gerraldo
Anti-DRM Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idoine View Post
Don't understand : in my Mobipocket Reader (PC), v. 6.2, build 608, EPUB documents are proposed both in Import dialogbox, and in the popup list beneath Import button...
Which is exactly the same version as mine...

Except that I use the german version (on german Vista Home Premium 32bit). There is no sign of ePUB in my app, not in the dialog or the list, but it shows ePUB files when I choose "alle unterstützten Formate" (all supported formats) and imports them.

Which language version you're using? Is it in the english version?!
Old 05-08-2009, 02:52 PM   #9
Idoine
Which book will be next ?
Idoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it is

Device: Cybook Gen3 1.5, Sony PRS 600 RC, Samsung Omnia...
Both Français and English propose this option...
Idoine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 12:21 AM   #10
gerraldo
Anti-DRM Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idoine View Post
Both Français and English propose this option...
Thank you. I'll mail Mobi about this error/omission (interestingly ePUB is the latest craze in Germany...).
Old 05-09-2009, 04:09 PM   #11
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Hmm... that didn't seem to work for the files I tried. Even with either ENG or en-US specified in the opf, they still don't open.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 03:23 AM   #12
gerraldo
Anti-DRM Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
Hmm... that didn't seem to work for the files I tried. Even with either ENG or en-US specified in the opf, they still don't open.
I tried it with several books downloaded from this forum and they have been made with calibre or feedbook. All that have not worked at first (all by calibre - language was set to UND), worked after setting the language to DEU or ENG...

Maybe you can post one of this ePUBs here or send it to me via eMail?! I already mailed Mobi about the omission of ePUB in the german version and the conversion error with language definitions.

BTW: Did you copy the OPF file back in the right location? Sometimes it's inside a folder in the ZIP called OPS.
Old 05-11-2009, 07:49 AM   #13
romi
CyBook Gen3 fan
romi began at the beginning.

Device: CyBook Gen3
I can't confirm this. I just received my cybook last week and epub will not show up (at least from the SD card). Not that I need it, but thought I'd test it out.
romi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 05:39 AM   #14
gerraldo
Anti-DRM Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by romi View Post
I can't confirm this. I just received my cybook last week and epub will not show up (at least from the SD card). Not that I need it, but thought I'd test it out.
It's MobiReader PC-version that supports ePUB, not the CyBook itself. In the meantime I found out that this is only with the german PC-version a "hidden" feature... (mailed them, but no answer yet)

So you need to import ePUB books with MobiReader software on your PC and then you can read them on your CyBook.
Old 05-16-2009, 09:53 AM   #15
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
I tried it with several books downloaded from this forum and they have been made with calibre or feedbook. All that have not worked at first (all by calibre - language was set to UND), worked after setting the language to DEU or ENG...

Maybe you can post one of this ePUBs here or send it to me via eMail?! I already mailed Mobi about the omission of ePUB in the german version and the conversion error with language definitions.
I create my ePub files manually, building them in Dreamweaver and using WinRAR to zip them, and check them against ADE to make sure they open properly (which they do). Attached is the ePub version of The Onuissance Cells, in which I tried it with "en-US" and "ENG" in the language spec... both would open in ADE, but neither would open in Mobi reader (Version : 6.2 Build 608).

I'll try creating a new file in Calibre and see what happens.

(By the way, the attached file is free, so anyone else, feel free to download it.)
Attached Files
File Type: epub Onuissance_Cells.epub (365.3 KB, 443 views)
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote