Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-28-2019, 04:42 PM   #61
Lucas Malor
Pain in the arse
Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kindle 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
How about trying to select the top 5 Reading Experience issues and I'll do the best I can to get them reported to Kobo.
Peter, there's thread full of bug reports. I had no more time to update the first posts. So I'll be very grateful if you move it to a wiki and read the thread at the point I started to leave. You can make your own Bugs Thread and link to the wiki in the first post.

I know, it's a hard work, but I think it's a good thing to do.

Anyway, my more tedious issue, as I said, is the annotations, that are very hard to do.

Last edited by Lucas Malor; 06-28-2019 at 04:49 PM.
Lucas Malor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 04:47 PM   #62
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
How about trying to select the top 5 Reading Experience issues and I'll do the best I can to get them reported to Kobo.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
Ok,, I'll bite. 1 and 2 are recently created bugs. 3-5 are longstanding personal wishlist items.

1. I'll start with the issue that started this thread even. Adjustment of text selection with the 'handles.' Once text is selected, the selection can not be adjusted unless you know the trick to moving the handles. (drag once to 'unlock' them, then once the pop up menu is gone, drag again to actually move.) This was a regression added in an update at least 3 versions ago.

2. New regression affecting Epub files introduced with 4.15. In some books, if there are two TOC entries pointing to the the same internal file, (ex: Heading and subheading,), at some points in the book, putting the kobo to sleep or going back to home will loose your current page. Bookmarks and highlights are also impossible to create in these locations.

3. In Kepub, measurements of physical length are translated to a fixed number of pixels. For a very common example, text-indent 20pt. The number of pixes were adjusted back when devices were 160PPI,,,, on a 300PPI device, 20pt indent is barely distinguishable.

4. In Kepub, page numbering for the whole book jumps around out of order on some books (ie, display progress for whole book instead of per chapter). This is related to the reader using TOC entries instead of the epub spine to determine page numbers, and I realize you're only likely to see on 'unsupported' kepub sideloaded books. But there's no reason for it!.. the calculation for progress by Percent got it right, it should be possible to get page number ordering using the same logic.

5. For epub books, the font used does not fall back if the text has missing glyphs... for books that take advantage of Unicode characters, this means those characters will be missing entirely from the text, even if Kobo fully supports it. (Works fine with Kepub)
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-28-2019, 05:07 PM   #63
Lucas Malor
Pain in the arse
Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.

2. when reading a book, clicking the three points (the other options) is very hard. This seems to happen only on Kobo Aura One.
3. the virtual keyboard is highly unresponsive. it takes seconds to display the touched character
4. when I have the bad idea to read a pdf, I usually turn it 90 degrees and I zoom it a little, so I can read them better. The problem is that, when I reach the end of the page and I touch to change page, the next page is displayed at the same level of the previous page, ie the bottom...
5. sometimes, if I connect the Kobo to the pc and I edit a text file, like the nightmode ini, when I safely disconnect the device, it look like is completely reset. No books, nothing. I have to restart to restore the normal situation, after some heart attack and some profanity.

Last edited by Lucas Malor; 06-28-2019 at 05:14 PM.
Old 06-28-2019, 05:27 PM   #64
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas Malor View Post
Because I'm forcing you to read my posts, and you're screaming "Using Ludwig van like that!"? As I said before, you're free to not read my posts. Adios.

I'm not familiar with the phrase "using Ludwig van like that". Doing a Google didn't seem to turn up anything? What does it mean?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 05:33 PM   #65
Lucas Malor
Pain in the arse

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I'm not familiar with the phrase "using Ludwig van like that". Doing a Google didn't seem to turn up anything? What does it mean?
Oh my God...
PS: are you still reading my posts? Is it not a torture to you, droog?

Last edited by Lucas Malor; 06-28-2019 at 05:37 PM.
Advert
Old 06-28-2019, 05:46 PM   #66
Incanus
Incanus
Incanus doesn't litterIncanus doesn't litterIncanus doesn't litter

Device: Boyue Likebook T80D
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
1) Reliable tapping to turn pages.
2) Good library management, with reasonable response time regardless of library size or media memory (SD Card/internal) storage
Incanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 01:29 AM   #67
Lucas Malor
Pain in the arse

People, please, no one wants to denigrate Kobo. Peter offered his time and patience to signal the bugs, so please, there's no need to signal the good thing of Kobo. I mean, if we dislike Kobo so much, we bought a Kindle or another device, no?

It's so difficult to understand that we LOVE this geeky e-reader and we are deluded by secular bugs and regressions? We have transformd this thread in a holy war between "haters" and "lovers", while we all love this crappy e-reader, for a dozen of reasons that Kindle dreams.

(and furthermore... I'm a cheap bastard and I don't want to spend money for another e-reader )
Old 06-29-2019, 05:30 AM   #68
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I am still uncertain as to what
Quote:
... using Ludwig van like that
means. Could anyone enlighten me?

Thank you.
Old 06-29-2019, 05:39 AM   #69
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
... Is it not a torture to you, droog?
I'm not familiar with the term "droog". Googling finds:

Quote:
noun informal

a young man belonging to a street gang.
Did you mean another word? I am neither young or in a street gang.
Old 06-29-2019, 10:10 AM   #70
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Quote:
People, please, no one wants to denigrate Kobo. Peter offered his time and patience to signal the bugs, so please, there's no need to signal the good thing of Kobo. I mean, if we dislike Kobo so much, we bought a Kindle or another device, no?

It's so difficult to understand that we LOVE this geeky e-reader and we are deluded by secular bugs and regressions? We have transformd this thread in a holy war between "haters" and "lovers", while we all love this crappy e-reader, for a dozen of reasons that Kindle dreams.

(and furthermore... I'm a cheap bastard and I don't want to spend money for another e-reader )
And yet YOU started this HATE Kobo Thread
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 11:28 AM   #71
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Let's stay on topic, please. Off topic posts and comments about Kobo in general and other posters will be deleted in their entirety henceforth.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 11:37 AM   #72
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechniSol View Post
but I'll support the right to complain if helps keep Kobo on their toes.
Aye there's the rub. I'm not convinced it does anything of the kind. Reporting bugs directly to Kobo may be tortuous and annoying, and ultimately fruitless, but it has a much better chance of getting fixed than simply discussing it here.

AFAICS raising issues here has two benefits:

1) sharing experiences with other users who may have found a work-around or mitigation. Or even just knowing someone else has seen the same thing can be helpful.

2) having a good moan and letting off steam.

A few other random thoughts:

One of the things about firmware is that unlike software that's released and sold as software, it's part of a deal. No one buys Kobo software, they buy a Kobo ereader. Crucially no-one pays anything for ongoing support of Kobo software - that activity is subsidized from sales of readers and ebooks. In other words it's a cost, and so a wise business would try to minimise it, balancing the need to avoid a poor support reputation and bad PR, with the bottom line.

One of the first threads I started on Mobileread back in 2012 was whether and to what degree people expect firmware updates, if at all. Most people expected bug fixes but not much more IIRC.
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 01:10 PM   #73
Sarmat89
Evangelist
Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrustratedReader View Post
Stupidity like kepub and KFX doesn't help.
That's not stupidity. EPUB format is too complex to be parsed and rendered by an embedded device, so it must be preprocessed into a less taxing form, like predictable-structure kepub or lightweight binary KFX.
Sarmat89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 02:39 PM   #74
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
Ive personally has nog great experiences with two kobos. But now I know a out koreader, I've been tempted to try again. My main concern is the tojch screen, but I tried typing in the search field and it seemed as good as an old nook st, so its seemed good enough for me. I might get one one day.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 07:56 PM   #75
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarmat89 View Post
That's not stupidity. EPUB format is too complex to be parsed and rendered by an embedded device, so it must be preprocessed into a less taxing form, like predictable-structure kepub or lightweight binary KFX.
HUH???? Kepub is epub format with added spans making the kepub structure, if anything, more complex than epub structure. So all these years I thought I was using RMSDK or ACCESS on my Kobo ereaders to parse and render epub2 and epub3 files never happened?
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kobo bugs annotation