Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 06-07-2019, 12:59 PM   #1
Zohaib Ahmed
Zohaib Ahmed began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
What is a perfect procedure for generate a amazon kindle mobi file?

Hello
Everyone I am new in Amazon kindle formatting whenever I convert ms word file into mobi file via Calibre software i have lost all formatting especially Title page formatting, TOC shape , and some times Main headings also so which way will be easy for converting ms word file in to mobi file.
Zohaib Ahmed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 01:20 PM   #2
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
There is no perfect one-size-fits-all solution. MOBI is a format with several variants with different capabilities. Other Kindle formats also exist. It would help if you would share your goals.

Do you want to sideload to a Kindle via USB or would you like OTA delivery? Do you want your reading position, notes, highlights, and collection membership to be backed up and synced across multiple devices? Is seeing the correct cover image thumbnail on your device important to you? Do you want to take advantage of Enhanced Typesetting features? Anything else?
jhowell is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-07-2019, 01:22 PM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Moved to the Kindle Formats forum.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 01:26 PM   #4
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
There is no perfect solution.

That said, check out this sticky in the E-Book Formats > Workshop section:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=295102

Keep in mind that final formatting should not be done in a word processing app (e.g. MS Word, ...), but instead done in an appropriate editor (e.g. Sigil, calibre's Editor, ...) after conversion to an editable ebook format (e.g. ePub, AZW3).

Also "mobi" generally refers to the older and extremely limited MobiPocket format, which Amazon acquired years ago. For modern Kindles (Kindle Keyboard and newer) and Fire Tablets the newer AZW3 format is generally prefered. The older mobi format (aka KF8) has far fewer formatting options than newer formats and a lot of formatting will be stripped out when converting to the old mobi/KF8 format.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 01:30 PM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwig View Post
Also "mobi" generally refers to the older and extremely limited MobiPocket format, which Amazon acquired years ago. For modern Kindles (Kindle Keyboard and newer) and Fire Tablets the newer AZW3 format is generally prefered. The older mobi format (aka KF8) has far fewer formatting options than newer formats and a lot of formatting will be stripped out when converting to the old mobi/KF8 format.
You’re getting a little confused. The “old” mobi format is mobi format 7. The “newer” mobi format is KF8, aka “AZW3”. The very, very newest mobi format is KFX.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-07-2019, 01:38 PM   #6
lumpynose
Wizard
lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm Pilot M105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zohaib Ahmed View Post
Hello
Everyone I am new in Amazon kindle formatting whenever I convert ms word file into mobi file via Calibre software i have lost all formatting especially Title page formatting, TOC shape , and some times Main headings also so which way will be easy for converting ms word file in to mobi file.
How does it look when you convert it to AZW3?
lumpynose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 01:51 PM   #7
Zohaib Ahmed

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Moved to the Kindle Formats forum.
Thank you
Old 06-07-2019, 02:03 PM   #8
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
I forgot to even consider whether it is for your own use or to be published on Amazon.

And in some cases the language of the book may also be relevant.
jhowell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 02:47 PM   #9
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
You’re getting a little confused. The “old” mobi format is mobi format 7. The “newer” mobi format is KF8, aka “AZW3”. The very, very newest mobi format is KFX.
Thanks for catching that. I "slipped a digit" there.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 02:25 AM   #10
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwig View Post
Thanks for catching that. I "slipped a digit" there.
Moreover, unless someone is making it solely for their own device, the AZW3 info isn't useful. You can't build an AZW3 file that will be sold at Amazon. You can build a MOBI. You can build an ePUB. You can upload a zipped HTML file, or a Word file or a kpf file. But you can't upload an AZW or AZW3 file.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 12:20 PM   #11
lumpynose
Wizard
lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm Pilot M105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Moreover, unless someone is making it solely for their own device, the AZW3 info isn't useful. You can't build an AZW3 file that will be sold at Amazon. You can build a MOBI. You can build an ePUB. You can upload a zipped HTML file, or a Word file or a kpf file. But you can't upload an AZW or AZW3 file.

Hitch
That's interesting and good to know, even though I don't plan on writing or selling any books. Is the reason because an AZW3 doesn't work? I.e., their uploading page won't accept it? Duh, answered my own question by going to this page:

https://kdp.amazon.com/en_US/help/topic/G200634390
lumpynose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 04:54 PM   #12
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Hello
Since I am a strong believer in making books available not only through Amazon but also through Kobo, Apple, Barnes & Noble, and lesser booksellers, I build my book as an epub using the free and excellent Sigil software. It converts wonderfully well on the KDP platform and also, of course, at Amazon's rivals, all of whom use the universal epub format.
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 05:40 PM   #13
Zohaib Ahmed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
There is no perfect one-size-fits-all solution. MOBI is a format with several variants with different capabilities. Other Kindle formats also exist. It would help if you would share your goals.

Do you want to sideload to a Kindle via USB or would you like OTA delivery? Do you want your reading position, notes, highlights, and collection membership to be backed up and synced across multiple devices? Is seeing the correct cover image thumbnail on your device important to you? Do you want to take advantage of Enhanced Typesetting features? Anything else?
Actually i want to learn professional level formatting for Amazon Kindle, The title page of book should be appeared same as like i designed it on MS Word and author of book also approved that format but when i convert MS Word document in to Mobi or Epub Title page and TOC become different and undesirably format that me and Author final in MS Word formatting.
Old 06-08-2019, 06:09 PM   #14
Zohaib Ahmed

AWZ3 format not work

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpynose View Post
How does it look when you convert it to AZW3?
awz3 format more worse than mobi and epub
Old 06-09-2019, 02:24 AM   #15
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Actually i want to learn professional level formatting for Amazon Kindle, The title page of book should be appeared same as like i designed it on MS Word and author of book also approved that format but when i convert MS Word document in to Mobi or Epub Title page and TOC become different and undesirably format that me and Author final in MS Word formatting.
It takes time, learning and skill to achieve that, and you will NOT do it in Word. You must learn HTML/CSS and how to work in ePUB, in order to do what you wish to do. I've been doing this a decade, and it took me...gosh, about a year to learn to really make the books look the way I want, AND build proper, clean, well-formatted eBooks.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote