Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 09-15-2010, 01:58 AM   #46
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
you know how Truth or Consequences (T or C to the locals) got the name, right?
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 03:21 AM   #47
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
naw, there's British humour and Harry's overwhelmingly dahlek perspective of humanity...

EXTERMINATE ALL OPINIONS!!!!!!
I've never tried to stop anyone from having an opinion. There's no "h" in "Dalek", BTW.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-15-2010, 03:37 AM   #48
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
There's no "h" in "Dalek", BTW.
There should be though - the name came from the spine of a dictionary volume covering words starting DAH - LEK.

That's well known that is.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 03:41 AM   #49
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
There should be though - the name came from the spine of a dictionary volume covering words starting DAH - LEK.

That's well known that is.
A well known myth . It's actually not true.
Old 09-15-2010, 03:44 AM   #50
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Spoil sport!
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-15-2010, 03:45 AM   #51
Cyberman tM
Evangelist
Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Inkbook Prime; Icarus Illumina;ImcoV6l;EB600;Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by SameOldStory View Post
"We found the sand was not like the sand in the brochure. Your brochure shows the sand as yellow but it was white."
While it certainly wouldn't spoil my holidays, I do agree that this is an issue to complain about.
Not because of the color itself, but because it's a clear indication that they actually edited the pictures to make them more attractive - coloring the sand, in this case.
Which I'd consider to be deception.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post

Vegetarian haggis? Now there's a concept!
Hm.
You know, this would actually make the idea of haggis quite palatable. I freely admit I have no idea how the original actually tastes or wether it's good or not - I find the idea of it repulsive enough to have no desire to every try it.
(Same goes for any other meal where innards are processed.)
Cyberman tM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 04:14 AM   #52
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
you know how Truth or Consequences (T or C to the locals) got the name, right?
The story I heard was that the TV program were filming an anniversary episode and offered to film it in any town which would rename itself to T or C.

Am I right?
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 04:15 AM   #53
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardeegee View Post
No offense intended-- just that the name was so old as to not bear much relevance to current culture the way names changed in the last few years or decades would have. Not quite "ancient history" but firmly "antique history."

And I knew about the name because I saw it on boingboing a few days ago (which may or may not have been where you saw it.)
No real offense taken - thanks

No, I read it in a Bill Bryson book I believe (Mother Tongue, probably).
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 05:39 AM   #54
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberman tM View Post
Hm.
You know, this would actually make the idea of haggis quite palatable. I freely admit I have no idea how the original actually tastes or wether it's good or not - I find the idea of it repulsive enough to have no desire to every try it.
(Same goes for any other meal where innards are processed.)
Haggis is delicious - do try it when you get the chance.
Old 09-15-2010, 06:11 AM   #55
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Haggis is delicious - do try it when you get the chance.
Haggis is repulsive - but don't take my word for it, do try it!
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 08:14 AM   #56
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
The story I heard was that the TV program were filming an anniversary episode and offered to film it in any town which would rename itself to T or C.

Am I right?
close enough. it was still a radio program at the time

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGS View Post
Haggis is repulsive - but don't take my word for it, do try it!
I've been to enough Burns dinners to learn that there really are enough people that actually LIKE organ meat to make the statement that there are people that LIKE haggis! (we really need a puking smiley)
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote