Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-02-2017, 01:37 PM   #1
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Amazon dumping customer forums

Folks on the Kindle forum over on Amazon are reporting seeing an announcement banner that says the forums are being shut down on October 6th.

I’ve not seen the banner yet, but am not surprised. Amazon behavior over the past few months have led many of the posters there to suspect this was coming.

When Amazon shut down the forums on IMDb, I had a feeling they would remove the ones on the Amazon site as well.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 01:59 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I wasn't even aware that they had customer forums!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-02-2017, 02:19 PM   #3
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
The old format Kindle forum used to be very busy. A couple of years ago Amazon changed the Help forums to a newer less functional format.

Amazon has never imposed any standards at all, normal to most online forums. For example, there is a default “user name” that didn’t have to be changed. So there are multiple users with the exact same user names.

There was never a decent search function either, no Sort options at all.

But there were very busy at one time, and a good place to talk about books, get help with using a Kindle or Fire, etc.

There were moderators, of a sort, but the last year or so has seen a steep decline. Long time posters have been banned with no explanation. And they removed the General Help Forum a few months ago, along with a few others that have been overtaken by trolls and scammers.

The last few weeks has seen hundreds of scam posts, fake support numbers posted over and over, flooding some of the forums. It is my opinion that Amazon has just been looking for a reason to remove all the forums, and that has been the result.

There was a Forum Pro program a few years back, that gave official “Badges” to many of the more knowledgeable posters. I was one of the Pros. That program was dumped with no announcements or explanation as well. They just removed the badges from our accounts, and that was that. The moderators have been changed almost on a weekly basis as well.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 02:35 PM   #4
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Maybe the frequent posters and mods should start up their own forums. No help from Amazon of course, but at least you’d have help amongst yourselves. Like HarryT I didnt even know the forums existed. Nor did I know that Amazon owned IMDB. Seems to me that the entirety of the internet is owned by Amazon, Google or facebook. (well, yes I know its an exaggeration... but in a few years, it probably wont be)
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 02:54 PM   #5
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
her's the discussion on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/forum/kindle/...x3E7JXX0VDSRJQ
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-02-2017, 03:02 PM   #6
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I wasn't even aware that they had customer forums!
I knew they did because when I've googled answers for Kindle problems in the past, sometimes the links would take me to the forums (at least, I think these are the same forums we're talking about).
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 04:17 PM   #7
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
I found some good book sales through various forum threads.
copyrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 05:23 PM   #8
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Their forums were a disaster to navigate, so shutting them down is no great loss.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 07:36 PM   #9
Alpha o
Addict
Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Darwin, inkBOOK Obsidian
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
I knew they did because when I've googled answers for Kindle problems in the past, sometimes the links would take me to the forums (at least, I think these are the same forums we're talking about).
I searched their forums for help with a new Paperwhite I bought the other half. The Kindle forum had been taken over by a bunch of nasty groupies. If you had a question they thought was too basic you got called stupid and sundry other insults about your mentality. In fact, if you didn't share ALL their opinions exactly as they believed, they didn't have much good of any kind to say about you.

It was so bad that I copied and pasted it and sent it to Amazon.
Alpha o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 08:50 PM   #10
library addict
Grand Sorcerer
library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2, Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8" (retired=Sony PRS650, Kobo Mini)
I could never figure out to get to the forums from their site, but have read some interesting discussions from links I stumbled upon, both about specific books and authors as well as more generalized reading topics.

Same with IMDB. I really miss their forums. Not on the really popular films/shows as arguments there could deteriorate rapidly, but on many more obscure shows there were interesting tidbits about filming locations, plot twists and explanations, etc.
library addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 10:20 PM   #11
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I used to read the Kindle forum daily. It was fun and interesting for the most part and pretty active. Then it tapered off and there was less and less activity and I started reading it less often and now I've been reading it about once a month or so. Too bad. It used to be fun.

I do agree with the comments about it being poorly designed, hard to find if you didn't have a link and poorly managed, but a forum is people first and system second so with good discussions it was okay.

I looked for other Amazon forums on other topics but didn't find much of interest that had enough activity to be worth the trouble. They had a tablet forum that was active for a while but then it dwindled to nothing.

Anyway I can't say I'll miss it now since I haven't been reading it but I have been missing it for a long time. In it's day it was a good one.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 12:25 AM   #12
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Their forums were a disaster to navigate, so shutting them down is no great loss.
Yes, but when Bezos eviscerated IMDB that was a loss.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 01:32 AM   #13
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phogg View Post
Yes, but when Bezos eviscerated IMDB that was a loss.
I never went there, so I'll take your word for it.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 05:22 AM   #14
JoHunt
I am what I am
JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by library addict View Post
Same with IMDB. I really miss their forums. Not on the really popular films/shows as arguments there could deteriorate rapidly, but on many more obscure shows there were interesting tidbits about filming locations, plot twists and explanations, etc.
Agreed. Interesting history and inside information about films were posted on those forums - sad that it's all lost now.
JoHunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 07:55 AM   #15
Froide
Wizard
Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy and Windows devices. RIP: Palm & Nook devices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoHunt View Post
Agreed. Interesting history and inside information about films were posted on those forums - sad that it's all lost now.
This (about the IMDb forums). I also miss the Bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com forums, pre-Jive.
Froide is offline   Reply With Quote