Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 07-01-2014, 10:09 PM   #1
frangelica
frangelica began at the beginning.

Device: nook, palm pre
I know this is a long shot, but.....

I was going through some old backup discs from the turn of the century and up. Lo and behold, I discovered about 20 books I'd given up on finding. They're in DRM .lit and DRM .pdb, from the days that I read on my RCA ereader, my Palm and my Ipaq.

There is no way on God's green earth that I can remember the credit card numbers that were used with these purchases. They are OLD.

Is there ANY way to unlock the files without the purchase info?
frangelica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 10:37 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
The LIT's would require you to either have an old activated copy (to the same ID as the books were downloaded to) of MS Reader installed or a key file from ConvertLit backed up.

For the PDB's (provided they're eReader/Palm/Peanut Press PDB's) you need the CC# and there's no way around it AFAIK.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-01-2014, 10:45 PM   #3
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Wonder if you requested a copy of your free credit report (that the credit bureaus have to provide at least once a year) whether your credit card numbers from those would be listed...
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 12:56 AM   #4
frangelica
frangelica began at the beginning.

Device: nook, palm pre
Hmmmmm....hadn't thought about a credit report. That's an interesting thought.

I am still irritated at Microsoft completely ditching their ereader program. Seemed stupid at the time, and even dumber now. I may have to write these books off, but I HATE to do that. Thanks for the quick answers!
frangelica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 11:44 AM   #5
fidvo
Addict
fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by frangelica View Post
Hmmmmm....hadn't thought about a credit report. That's an interesting thought.

I am still irritated at Microsoft completely ditching their ereader program. Seemed stupid at the time, and even dumber now. I may have to write these books off, but I HATE to do that. Thanks for the quick answers!
Ah, the joys of DRM.

Yes, you too can enjoy losing access to your legitimately purchased materials. Act now, and we'll throw in this buggy software that allows you to connect to our server every time you want to read your books. And if it's not cost effective for us to keep our server up, you can lose access quickly, easily, and free of charge! But wait, there's more! Call in the next 5 minutes, and we'll include a free root kit that periodically scans your computer for pirated software, and helpfully uninstalls it for you. As a bonus, 20% of your legitimate software will be flagged as false positives! Enjoy re-purchasing your software over and over again. The fun never ends!

How much would you pay for this incredible offer? Twenty dollars? Thirty dollars? But that's the great part! If you've installed any of our software, you're already running this amazing package!

(Can you tell I really, really, really hate DRM?)
fidvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert