Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 12-20-2017, 01:16 PM   #1
Akasashasha
Akasashasha began at the beginning.

Device: all
Question Epub Validator nav.xhtml incomplete ol missing

Hello dears

passing my e-books in the Epub validator for submission on Smashwords, I'm getting the following error message:

Error while parsing file 'element "nav" incomplete; missing required element "ol"'.

Here is the content of my nav.xhtml file (the ebook doesn't have a toc as it is very small, just one page):

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE html>

<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xmlns:epub="http://www.idpf.org/2007/ops" lang="fr-FR" xml:lang="fr-FR">
<head>
  <meta charset="utf-8"/>
  <style type="text/css">
    nav#landmarks, nav#page-list { display:none; }
    ol { list-style-type: none; }
  </style>
<title></title></head>
<body epub:type="frontmatter">
  <nav epub:type="toc" id="toc">
  </nav>
  <nav epub:type="landmarks" id="landmarks" hidden="">
  </nav>
</body>
</html>
I deleted the
Code:
nav#landmarks, nav#page-list { display:none; }
    ol { list-style-type: none; }
  </style>
but then get another error message ... any idea how to solve that one ?

thanks
Akasashasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 02:18 PM   #2
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
This really has nothing to do with Sigil. A better place to post this is probably the ePub forum here.

Instead of removing the ol style, you should add ol tags to the toc and landmarks and add at least one entry under each. Check out sample nav documents to see what the proper syntax is.
KevinH is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-20-2017, 04:51 PM   #3
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I have what I regard as an ugly way around this issue - so I'd also be interested in a more elegant approach.

Hopefully a Sigil mod will move the thread to the Epub forum.

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 06:23 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
eBooks for Smahswords do not need a nav as you don't need ePub 3. Just use ePub 2 and delete nav and just stick with the NCX ToC.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 12:41 AM   #5
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
I have what I regard as an ugly way around this issue - so I'd also be interested in a more elegant approach ...
What is your ugly workaround?

@Akasashasha — Perhaps inserting a single "placeholder" item would resolve it?

Code:
    <ol>
      <li>
        <a href="filename.xhtml">-</a>
      </li>
    </ol>
(Or is that your ugly workaround, BR? )

ETA: Oh wait, I see KevinH already suggested this!

Note: "filename.xhtml" is an example only. The actual link must be a valid link for the epub to vaidate. The text can be anything you want. I've inserted a hyphen (-) here because you don't seem to want any text in your TOC and a hyphen is small.

Last edited by odamizu; 12-21-2017 at 09:46 PM. Reason: clarity
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-21-2017, 03:50 AM   #6
Akasashasha

Hi guys

first thanks for all your answers:
@KevinH & BetterRed: you're right maybe this is not the best place but as I'm using Sigil I thought it might come from the software default behavior ...

@JSWolf: I would like to use epub 3 as there are lots of improvements that I implemented in my ebooks (like footnotes appearing as pop-up thanks to the aside element, figure elements, and many others ... )

@odamizu: I tried many different things, deleting the nav file alltogether, adding some fake ol with a fake link as you suggested, etc ... nothing seems to work ... still stuck in here ... any other suggestion ?
Old 12-21-2017, 04:32 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akasashasha View Post
@JSWolf: I would like to use epub 3 as there are lots of improvements that I implemented in my ebooks (like footnotes appearing as pop-up thanks to the aside element, figure elements, and many others ... )
Most software that renders ePub won't take advantage of ePub 3 specific features. Lots of eInk Readers support ePub 2 and that's it. Kobo (for example) needs to have the ePub converted to kepub in order to use any ePub 3 specific features. Sony Readers, no on ePub 3. The new nook Glowlight 3, ePub 3 is a no.

All you are doing is wasting your time with something that in most cases won't work.
Old 12-21-2017, 05:06 AM   #8
Akasashasha

@JSWolf : ok, soooo, according to IDPF, epub 3 should be the standard, but most of the e-reader tablets stick to epub 2, that's right ? once again communication is really weird in between geeks who create new standards and factories who create support materials.

Following your advice I downgraded one of my ebook to epub 2 and it pass the Epub check with no error :-( ... sound like a good news, but I really loved epub 3 ... anyway thanks a lot everyone, it's great that this problem got solved in less than 24hours !!! amazing community out there !

I'll rework all my ebooks and create both epub 2 and 3 versions (v2 for Smashwords, v3 for my own distribution channel)

best wishes for the new year and happy Xmas / Hanoucca / or happy whatever-you-believe-in-and-is-an-opportunity-for-a-end-of-year-familly-party :-)

Old 12-21-2017, 09:46 AM   #9
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

No,
I was suggesting an actual entry in the toc section that points to your single chapter (either to the entire xhtml file or to an id attached to the first header tag). And in the landmarks section a single link to the start of text to create a minimal nav.

Also, Don't let JSWolf turn you away from epub3 as he seems to be more than a bit biased against this format and seems to want eveyone to stay with epub2 forever.

Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akasashasha View Post
Hi guys

first thanks for all your answers:
@KevinH & BetterRed: you're right maybe this is not the best place but as I'm using Sigil I thought it might come from the software default behavior ...

@odamizu: I tried many different things, deleting the nav file alltogether, adding some fake ol with a fake link as you suggested, etc ... nothing seems to work ... still stuck in here ... any other suggestion ?
Old 12-21-2017, 11:40 AM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
No,
I was suggesting an actual entry in the toc section that points to your single chapter (either to the entire xhtml file or to an id attached to the first header tag). And in the landmarks section a single link to the start of text to create a minimal nav.

Also, Don't let JSWolf turn you away from epub3 as he seems to be more than a bit biased against this format and seems to want eveyone to stay with epub2 forever.

Kevin
Most eBooks on Smashwords are converted from Word to ePub using Calibre and those are all ePub 2. If this eBook was made as an ePub 3, what would happen when it's read with an ePub 2 renderer? At best case, some of the ePub 3 features won't work and at worst case it won't work.

Kobo can handle ePub 3, but they have to be converted to kepub. Sony doesn't support ePub 3. Nook does not support ePub 3. I'm not sure how tablet epub apps handle ePub 3. But Marvin (popular for iOS) for not support ePub 3.
Old 12-21-2017, 12:42 PM   #11
Akasashasha

Quote:
Kobo can handle ePub 3, but they have to be converted to kepub. Sony doesn't support ePub 3. Nook does not support ePub 3. I'm not sure how tablet epub apps handle ePub 3. But Marvin (popular for iOS) for not support ePub 3.
... on Android and Apple device I found out after lots of testing that the best free app is GitdenReader. It displays all epub 3 features properly and natively recognizes lots of fonts and languages (even as rare as Tibetan !)

But that's not the subject in here, just as reminder: I want to pass the epubcheck test with epub 3 files which are rejected ... answer so far from all of you seems to be that standard is still to epub 2 (and that's actually what I experience, as I said my ebook pass the test in epub 2 version, but the epub 3 version I created don't - and it has nothing to do with the way I'm coding )

Soo, should we close this thread ?
Anyone in here has been working on Epubcheck validator and can report on this weird situation ?
Also I'm gonna complain to the Epubcheck validator team (if I find where to contact them).

love
Old 12-21-2017, 12:59 PM   #12
KevinH
Sigil Developer

I think it may have to do with the way you are coding it. A nav is required in epub3 (just like a toc.ncx is in epub2) and you do need ol and li tags properly nested in the nav according to the error message you received.

Do you get the same error message if you check your epub3 with the latest version of epubcheck?
Old 12-21-2017, 01:07 PM   #13
Akasashasha

yep, I'm using the last version of Epubcheck ... and all epub 3 features are considered as error.

Once I get rid of them and reformat my ebook with epub 2 standards, everything is perfect.

One simple example: when testing epub 3 the epub:type as well as the aside, figure and figcaption elements are all considered as error ... this are all elements used in epub 3.
Old 12-21-2017, 02:05 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

But what will happen when these ePub 3 features won't work? People who buy eBooks at Smashwords aren't expecting a real ePub 3 eBook.
Old 12-21-2017, 02:11 PM   #15
Akasashasha

yep. got it ...

Will have to wait till epub 3 REALLY becomes standard in all e-readers, meanwhile I'll produce epub 2 for wider distri (and epub 3 for my friends and myself)

Sad to downgrade after having learned and master all this nice features, but most important is that people can read our books without troubles isn't it ?

Will also write to the Smashword team to check their point of view on this question and report it in this thread.

love

Tags
epub 3, epub check, nav.xhtml