Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 05-10-2017, 07:46 AM   #1
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Windows 10 "Creators Edition" update

My Windows 10 system installed the "Creators Edition" update this morning. Took about 3.5h in total: 1h to download it, 1h in "preparing the update", and 1.5h "applying the update" after the reboot, but it all seems to work OK. I've not spotted any real changes, other than the appearance of a "Gaming" option (of not the slightest interest to me) on the "Settings" screen.

Big thing for me is that my Kindle and iPad both connect OK. Previous updates have occasionally broken USB connections for some people.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 07:56 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The only mildly annoying thing the upgrade's done is to wipe the contents of the "Quick Access" dropdown in the address bar of Windows Explorer, so I had to re-enter the address and credentials of my web site's FTP server.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-10-2017, 12:59 PM   #3
jswinden
Nameless Being

I have Windows 10 running on a Yoga 2/11 laptop plus a Mac Mini 2012 via Boot Camp. I hate it. I liked Windows 7 but from Windows 8 on I hate it again. I hate how they force updates and changes on your computer. I hate the constant rebooting to install useless updates. I hate that they change your settings all the time. And most of all, I hate that they keep bleeping up my drivers. The only reason I even run Windows is for programming a few amateur radios that cannot connect to Macs. Some of these require old drivers in order for the cables to be recognized. It is a royal PITA to have to search for and replace the newer crappy drivers Windows 10 insists on installing. Yes, you can tell Windows to bleep off, but the next time an update is installed it will change those settings and the working drivers will get blown away.

I also use a few astrophotography apps that only run in Windows. Two of the three apps no longer work correctly since they have not been updated in years and Windows now won't support them very well. They were written for 32-bit processing, so they crash a lot. The one that still works was written for 64-bit processing and can better handle the large amount of memory required to process over 2 GB of images at once.

For me Windows is merely a necessary evil I must occasionally deal with. You would think more apps would be written for Macs since they now have much greater numbers than they did years ago, but that is not the case in amateur radio or astrophotography.

Last edited by jswinden; 05-10-2017 at 01:01 PM.
Old 05-10-2017, 01:30 PM   #4
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Sounds like you should run Windows 7 instead.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote