Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-30-2013, 08:38 PM   #61
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
...I would guess that from factory to wholesaler to retailer, the battery is flat (in a never ever charged state ? ) , & by the time an end buyer gets the device it could be months old - or even older if you find a new T1 or T2 still on sales somewhere...
Devices containing Li-Ion batteries will have normally been partially charged at the factory (as this is the best storage state). There may be exceptions with some manufacturers, but if you receive a new device with a flat battery then my first reaction would be that it is quite old stock.

Old stock can occur even with current devices because the manufacturer may do only one or two production runs and they stay in stock until the model is superseded or sold out (which may take several years e.g. T2s and older models are still for sale). If one buys a "new" but superceded model some years past the model's first date of introduction, then you are much more likely to be faced with a flat battery; you will certainly be faced with a battery of diminished capacity compared to fresh stock of a current model.
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 10:34 PM   #62
Phil_C
Addict
Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350; Kobo Clara HD; Kobo Clara 2E
My T3 came fully charged, or at least full enough so that the battery indicator showed all four bars. No doubt that's the way they all leave the Sony factory, prepared for some shelf-sitting time.

I can't find any information on whether they use Li-Poly.
Phil_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-31-2013, 05:34 PM   #63
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil_C View Post
My T3 came fully charged, or at least full enough so that the battery indicator showed all four bars. No doubt that's the way they all leave the Sony factory, prepared for some shelf-sitting time.

On the back of the reader, with cover removed, it claims the battery is Li-Ion.
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 05:35 AM   #64
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil_C View Post

well I finally opened my new T3 box ( arrived from sony store just after Xmas). battery bar showed less than half-charged.

I see there is now a section on maximising battery life in the T3 user guide, I could type it in but I expect it is easily found on sony site

it does say " do not store for a long time in a fully depleted sate"
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 10:24 AM   #65
Phil_C
Addict
Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350; Kobo Clara HD; Kobo Clara 2E
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
well I finally opened my new T3 box ( arrived from sony store just after Xmas). battery bar showed less than half-charged.
I was going to wait about six months before checking my backup T3. But now I will check sooner, and try to keep about half to three-quarter charge in storage.
Phil_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-08-2014, 11:32 AM   #66
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
i may just alternate between using my T2 & T3 + hope to sell PRS-650 on ebay - not because it is bad but the UI is different & thus confusing. e.g. you double tap a word on 650 to highlight or define or search. on T2/T3 you have to press & hold...
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 05:53 PM   #67
Amalthia
Wizard
Amalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505, PRS-650, PRS-T3, Pocketbook HD2
Hi,

I'm not a big fan of buying e-ink devices over ebay, does anyone know where I can pick up a backup Sony PRS-T3 that will ship to the United States?

Thanks,
Amalthia
Amalthia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 09:24 PM   #68
Eric Muller
Connoisseur
Eric Muller is generous with chocolateEric Muller is generous with chocolateEric Muller is generous with chocolateEric Muller is generous with chocolateEric Muller is generous with chocolateEric Muller is generous with chocolateEric Muller is generous with chocolateEric Muller is generous with chocolateEric Muller is generous with chocolateEric Muller is generous with chocolateEric Muller is generous with chocolate

Device: Opus
I bought my PRS-T3*S* (without cover) from ebook.de. Took a while to get there (a bit over a month), but it did. I don't see the T3S, but they have the T3 for 119 euros.
Eric Muller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 09:29 AM   #69
luvduchovny
Zealot
luvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melon

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500, PRS-600, PRS-650, PRS-T1, PRS-T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amalthia View Post
Hi,

I'm not a big fan of buying e-ink devices over ebay, does anyone know where I can pick up a backup Sony PRS-T3 that will ship to the United States?

Thanks,
Amalthia
Bought mine at Shopereaders.com in Canada.
Shopereader's PRS-T3 section.
luvduchovny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 03:53 PM   #70
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvduchovny View Post
They also sell on eBay, have a lousy rep and sell for insanely high prices!

Amalthia, what concerns do you have with eBay? Research the seller and only buy from ones with good reps. You'll be fine. Read their numbers, read the feedback comments, look at how long they've been on eBay etc. Don't just go by their feedback percentage. That's not always a good indication. It's not like a math test result.

If you're worried about losing your money or getting a damaged item or not what was listed, don't buy from anyone with less than 99%.

That's my advice. The above link wants $180 for a device that retails for $100. That's frigging insane!!
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 04:03 PM   #71
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvduchovny View Post
For that much, I could buy a Kobo Aura and for not much more a T68. Ridiculously high prices there.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 10:44 AM   #72
PatGIV
Connoisseur
PatGIV began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1 & 2 ea. of T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shopaholic View Post

Amalthia, what concerns do you have with eBay? Research the seller and only buy from ones with good reps. You'll be fine. Read their numbers, read the feedback comments, look at how long they've been on eBay etc. Don't just go by their feedback percentage. That's not always a good indication. It's not like a math test result.

If you're worried about losing your money or getting a damaged item or not what was listed, don't buy from anyone with less than 99%.

That's my advice. The above link wants $180 for a device that retails for $100. That's frigging insane!!
EXCELLENT ebay advice! Been buying from them for about 15 years, never got a bad deal or crooked seller. I too, was kinda nervous the first time or two.
PatGIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 07:20 PM   #73
Amalthia
Wizard
Amalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505, PRS-650, PRS-T3, Pocketbook HD2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shopaholic View Post

Thanks for the advice!

As for my concerns with Ebay, I think they are somewhat illogical, but truly I find the website confusing. Having said that, I've bought cheap stuff from Ebay in the past, like a 1980's Popple and it showed up with zero problems. I used to try and read the reviews and no matter how positive they were there was always a complaint from someone.

With expensive electronics I'm maybe a bit more paranoid about where I buy them from.
Amalthia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 05:27 AM   #74
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatGIV View Post
EXCELLENT ebay advice! Been buying from them for about 15 years, never got a bad deal or crooked seller. I too, was kinda nervous the first time or two.
I've been buying and selling (mostly buying) on eBay for over 17 years. Except for one or two bad experiences (one selling, on buying that I can remember) I've almost had no trouble with them. I am careful when buying, and also ask questions before bidding, if a question needs to be asked.

That said, there are a few new T3s on eBay now -- one is priced at $135 (plus $10 s/h) and the seller has sold 22 of these and had "over 10" left. He also has a very good feedback score. If I were in the market for a T3, I would -- personally -- have no problem going with this seller. (This is not an endorsement -- I don't personally know this seller -- but he definitely meets the criteria of "very low risk" in my opinion. -- Actually, on closer inspection "he" is a company, not a person.)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brand-NEW-So...item27e1033300

Last edited by rcentros; 08-13-2014 at 05:37 AM.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 09:51 AM   #75
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I buy and sell on ebay all the time. Including tablets and ereaders. That looks like a good T3. I'd love to have one, but really, how many ereaders does a person need?? I have enough (for now).
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote