Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 04-12-2013, 03:09 PM   #1
dj.houba
dj.houba began at the beginning.

Device: PocketBook 912
Question Repair partition

Hi,
What's the partition type in PocketBook 912? Ext2? Ext3? FAT32?

I had damaged partition, so I created new partition table and new partition as FAT32. Now I'm not abble to load home screen. I can boot, but it's look like, it can't find partition.

Thank you so much

Last edited by dj.houba; 04-12-2013 at 04:46 PM.
dj.houba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 05:09 PM   #2
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
If you go to Configuration>Maintenance>Format_SD_Card, you can get the reader to format it to what it can use. I'm not 100% sure if it creates a new partition table. If not, then you should set the filesystem type to 0x0c (W95 FAT32 (LBA)).
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-12-2013, 06:07 PM   #3
dj.houba

Thank's for answer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
If you go to Configuration>Maintenance>Format_SD_Card, you can get the reader to format it to what it can use. I'm not 100% sure if it creates a new partition table.
I can't go to Configuration.

Quote:
If not, then you should set the filesystem type to 0x0c (W95 FAT32 (LBA)).
This is "fdisk -l" command:
Code:
Disk /dev/sdb: 1001 MB, 1001078784 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 121 cylinders, total 1955232 sectors
Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x000c984c

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
/dev/sdb1              63     1943864      971901    c  W95 FAT32 (LBA)
I can go only to library in PocketBook, it shows my 0/-1MB (free/total).

Please, help
Old 04-12-2013, 06:12 PM   #4
dj.houba

Quote:
Configuration>Maintenance>Format_SD_Card
.. Is this option for SD Card? I have problem with internal storage, where is "system" directory.
Old 04-12-2013, 06:40 PM   #5
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

There is a configuration item for formatting the internal memory, as well (on my device, it's just above the item for formatting the SD card).

I assumed that you were talking about the SD card because I'm not sure how you would destroy the partition table on the internal memory without having root access on the device (which is not possible with recent firmware versions).
Advert
Old 04-12-2013, 07:02 PM   #6
dj.houba

Quote:
I'm not sure how you would destroy the partition table on the internal memory without having root access on the device (which is not possible with recent firmware versions).
It was easy ... under root access I created new partition table from Linux. Now I can't read/write partition from device, but I'm able to access from Linux.

So, can I ask you to send me your "fdisk -l" info about your internal storage of PocketBook?
Old 04-12-2013, 07:26 PM   #7
dj.houba

It will be good to describe, what's device doing, when I turn it on:
1) It wan't screen calibration (5x cross)
2) Language select
3) License accepting
4) Go again: Calibration, Language, License,...
Old 04-12-2013, 08:21 PM   #8
rkomar
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj.houba View Post
It was easy ... under root access I created new partition table from Linux. Now I can't read/write partition from device, but I'm able to access from Linux.

So, can I ask you to send me your "fdisk -l" info about your internal storage of PocketBook?
I don't have root access on mine, so I can't read /dev/mmcblk0 with fdisk or anything else when I'm logged in as sreader. Are you using an old firmware that is rootable, or is there now a way to root recent firmware versions?
Old 04-13-2013, 03:29 AM   #9
dj.houba

If I have good information: There are two internal storage. One is hidden and it's not possible to access it without root.
Second (1GB) storage is accessible - the "system" folder is here, so I'm talking about.
You can normally connect it. My problem is, this storage with "system" folder was broken, I went to the Partition Manager, selected 1GB storage, created "New Partition Table" and "New partiton" on 1GB storage. Everything was fine on computer, but PocketBook can't find/access this storage.
I think, I didn't re-format all internal storages, only this one, where is system folder.
My firmware is 2.1.2.
Old 04-13-2013, 04:03 AM   #10
rkomar
Wizard

If you made all your changes via the USB interface, then you probably didn't damage the actual partition tables within the reader. The exported internal memory is actually a partition within a built-in SD card inside the reader. So, it sounds like you created a partition table within a partition. Just create a new FAT32 filesystem on the "bare" exported drive, and don't try to create any partitions within it. If the reader boots up properly, then go into the configuration and make it reformat the internal storage again. It will put back the system directory and all the necessary applications and config files that should be there.
Old 04-13-2013, 10:35 AM   #11
dj.houba

[SOLVED]

Quote:
So, it sounds like you created a partition table within a partition. Just create a new FAT32 filesystem on the "bare" exported drive, and don't try to create any partitions within it.
Wow, awesome. That's it. Thank you so much!
I didn't know, that I can create partition table inside partition.

If someone want's to know how to repair whole probelm:
1) connect through the USB
2) find partition "fdisk -l"
3) use "mkdosfs -F 32 -I /dev/sdX" on whole "disc"

Thank's rkomar!

Last edited by dj.houba; 04-13-2013 at 10:37 AM.
Old 04-13-2013, 01:05 PM   #12
rkomar
Wizard

Phew! Glad to hear that it all worked out.

Tags
partition