Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-06-2012, 02:39 PM   #1
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Did samsung just release the first MS Courier

For me one of the greatest failures of the tech industry is the cancellation of the "Courier tablet" tablet. True it was just billed as a "concept" tablet but wow was it a great concept; one that should have made it to the market. Unfortunately with internal battles and the success of the iPad the Courier concept faded away.

FF a couple years later and Samsung has opened the wraps on the Galaxy Note 10.1. While this is not identical to the Courier it does offer many of the same features.

Personally I would love to see a thin dual pane screen of this product.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-06-2012, 02:50 PM   #2
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
I would like to see it. I don't know if I would buy it.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 04:46 PM   #3
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I sorely miss the pen/stylus from the Window Mobile days. There is just some things that a pen does that is just much better than ones finger. Diagrams, painting, writing equations.

I would like to see the note form factor in 7" or as I mentioned in my first post two 7" screen.

I don't know this might even be my first 10" tablet.
Old 08-06-2012, 08:57 PM   #4
StoryEnthusiast
K. C. Lee
StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
I would like to see the note form factor in 7" or as I mentioned in my first post two 7" screen.
Me too. Wow, the Youtube video looks fantastic!!!
StoryEnthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 09:38 PM   #5
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
I sorely miss the pen/stylus from the Window Mobile days. There is just some things that a pen does that is just much better than ones finger. Diagrams, painting, writing equations.

I don't know this might even be my first 10" tablet.
Another vote for 7" with phone function and Wacom pen!
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-06-2012, 10:53 PM   #6
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
Another vote for 7" with phone function and Wacom pen!
after watching the video, i think i can now relate as to why a 7" would be better in some ways
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 03:18 AM   #7
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Nexus 5, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Wow.

Great video. Felt like a significant step forward. Tablets are getting better and better!

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 10:55 AM   #8
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
That looks fantastic!

I love the use of the pen.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 11:55 AM   #9
andyh2000
Guru
andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy A3 phone / Kindle 4 Black / Paperwhite / Onyx Max Carta
You do realise not a single thing in that video is real don't you? I.e. just another concept (so far as that video goes anyway), and as real as Courier was(n't).

Andrew
andyh2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 12:47 PM   #10
=X=
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyh2000 View Post
You do realise not a single thing in that video is real don't you? I.e. just another concept (so far as that video goes anyway), and as real as Courier was(n't).

Andrew
There is a slight difference the Courier was concept only the Note is a real product. This video is an advertisement not a proof of concept. The product does exist and will be released this month.

Here is a youtube video in non English

Also a link to a very comprehensive review, again not in English.
http://blog.androidsuomi.fi/2012/08/...axy-note-10-1/

Last edited by =X=; 08-07-2012 at 12:51 PM.
Old 08-07-2012, 01:40 PM   #11
andyh2000
Guru
andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy A3 phone / Kindle 4 Black / Paperwhite / Onyx Max Carta
Well I'm glad it exists, but that first video that everyone was getting excited about has "screen images simulated" actually stamped in the top right corner all the way through.

Andrew
andyh2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 08:02 AM   #12
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyh2000 View Post
Well I'm glad it exists, but that first video that everyone was getting excited about has "screen images simulated" actually stamped in the top right corner all the way through.
The video was demonstrating the software. I'm sure that in real life things wouldn't go as smoothly. For example I'm interested in the ability that it demonstrates at 2:30 to understand written equations. I think that in real life it might have some trouble telling the difference between a and alpha for example, of figuring out if a letter is an index or not. Someone writing the equation would have to be very careful about the way in which they write.
Sil_liS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 10:40 AM   #13
=X=
Wizard

In the video link I provided a few post past there he uses the equation finder. While not as elegant as the marketing video it does still impress.
Old 08-08-2012, 12:48 PM   #14
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
Quote:
In the video link I provided a few post past there he uses the equation finder. While not as elegant as the marketing video it does still impress.
It does impress, but it shows a very simple example. No index, no fractions, no Greek letters. And the writing is slow. I expect that it would be faster when the user gets used to it, but in the marketing video it wouldn't be helpful to have a real example.
Sil_liS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 01:04 PM   #15
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: Franklin,Orig Droid,Kindle KB-3G,Archos 43,Samsung S3,ChromeBk,FIRE
Quote:
There is a slight difference the Courier was concept only the Note is a real product. This video is an advertisement not a proof of concept. The product does exist and will be released this month.

Here is a youtube video in non English

Also a link to a very comprehensive review, again not in English.
http://blog.androidsuomi.fi/2012/08/...axy-note-10-1/
Many are interested in the NOTE and wonder what Samsung will tuck into it. Now we see the SD card, the great screen, 5.3" screen, the stylus, etc. Maybe 5.5 or 5.7 inches to come, and a still better screen.

I wonder if it will have Win 8. Then I would be very excited.

I have a air card in my company supplied Note Book, but I don't carry it usually except when working because the contents are too important. I have a WiFi net book for personal use when I don't have the note book. I use a regular feature phone for calls. On my one week vacations, I carry a mobile hotspot with prepaid data.

A 5.5" or 5.7" Note with stylus and advanced Android or even Win 8 might temp me into a Note Phone with a data plan.

I would prefer the Note be no larger than 5.5" because I think the 7" size is too big for easy carrying in any and all pockets or in a belt holster.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote