Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-04-2011, 11:42 AM   #1
FJames
Addict
FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch & Aura
Firmware 1.9.10 and Calibre

I've seen a few mentions of problems with Calibre not reading the Kobo Touch database contents correctly any more after the 1.9.10 update, but it wasn't clear if those were individual problems or a more general issue. I'm still on 1.9.9, and I don't want to update to 1.9.10 for the moment if it's going to break Calibre. I don't want to experiment blindly and break my database.

Can anyone who has tried managing their KT content with Calibre after the 1.9.10 update confirm whether it still works or not? If it's all fine, it would be nice to confirm that. If a Calibre update beyond the current 0.8.17 (Sep 2 release) is needed, we can post a notice in this thread when it's available.
FJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 11:55 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Calibre breaks after the update to 1.9.10 as the database format has changed. But if you don't update to 1.9.10, you risk having to reset your Kobo because of the storage error.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-04-2011, 12:21 PM   #3
danskmacabre
Guru
danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo. Galaxy Tab S 8.4
I'm guessing a new version of calibre will come out to address this problem.
If it doesn't I'll downgrade to 1.9.9.
danskmacabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 12:23 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danskmacabre View Post
I'm guessing a new version of calibre will come out to address this problem.
If it doesn't I'll downgrade to 1.9.9.
If you can downgrade, you risk having to reset your Kobo. Do you really want that?
Old 09-04-2011, 12:27 PM   #5
danskmacabre
Guru
danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If you can downgrade, you risk having to reset your Kobo. Do you really want that?
I already know from experience with 1.9.9 as long as I only use Calibre and not Kobo desktop, I'll be fine (I.E. I don't get a forced reset).
The only times I got a forced reset is when I was using both calibre and Kobo desktop and when copying epubs via windows explorer.
If I just load epubs via Calibre, it'll be fine.
I'll be happy to goto whatever version of the firmware as long as it doesn't force me to exclusively use Kobo desktop.

Downgrading is possible, all you need to do is get the old firmware (I have it), factory reset, then manually update to 1.9.9.

Last edited by danskmacabre; 09-04-2011 at 12:36 PM.
Advert
Old 09-04-2011, 12:42 PM   #6
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Downgrading is always an option, but seems to be a bit overkill for a temporary Calibre device incompatibility. Why not just sideload the books from Calibre you want to read while waiting? (IE, Calibre lets you open the "path" to a book from right hand side panel, just drag the epub from there onto your Calibre device in whatever OS GUI you are using.)
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 12:46 PM   #7
douglas.edmonson
douglas.edmonson began at the beginning.

Device: KOBO
That works for me...
douglas.edmonson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 12:51 PM   #8
danskmacabre
Guru

I've not downgraded yet, in fact haven't connected my KT to the PC for a while as I have plenty of books to read on it atm. so it might not even be an issue for me anwyay.
Meaning it might get sorted with a future firnware update by the time I need to connect it to a PC again.
Old 09-04-2011, 01:29 PM   #9
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
heh, that's funny.. I just tested this with the new Calibre .8.17 (released Sept. 2, the same day the error was reported on this Forum), and it works perfectly, though no mention of Kobo was made in the release notes. I think this was fixed with no one noticing.

*Note*, my Kobo was never initialized by Kobo Desktop software. It occurs to me that the changes to the database might be made by the Desktop software rather than the device firmware itself, in which case, this might not be fixed.

Last edited by rashkae; 09-04-2011 at 01:38 PM.
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 01:31 PM   #10
danskmacabre
Guru

Oh well, it's a non-issue anyway..
Old 09-04-2011, 03:21 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

From what I have been reading, the new desktop version seems to be pretty good.
Old 09-04-2011, 03:37 PM   #12
kiwipippa
Fanatic
kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo glo, kobo touch (dead), kindle touch, android phone
I was not using calibre to sideload to the KT under 1.9.9 because I got the storage error and because the books would not show up on my device. I ended up sideloading using the calibre content server and never connecting to my PC. (except for ADE and library books)

So after 1.9.10 I gave calibre a go again - all seems to be fixed (for me anyway). No storage error and the books show up on the device. Maybe it was one of kobo's "various bugs and enhancement issues". Or perhaps it just fixed itself....?

My only bug bear with calibre and the KT now is that you can't change the margins using the KT function. These have to be preset using calibre - or stripped out of the CSS which is a bit annoying. I also seem to have stuffed up my line spacing as I can't change that either - but I think I have done something to the preferences for that, does anyone know what line spacing should be set to by default?

(im on calibre 0.8.16 not 17 - I now work a version behind).
kiwipippa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 04:34 PM   #13
frankieGom
Interested
frankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kobo Touch & Glo, Sony PRS-T1
No problem accessing the KT main memory as well as the microSD from Calibre 0.8.16 after upgrading to FW 1.9.10. And still no hint of the storage error after a few days. I agree also that the desktop application is much better behaved (especially on a french localized OS!)

Time to update to 0.8.17 now.
frankieGom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 04:55 PM   #14
EverC
EverC began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3, Kobo Touch (returned)
I did sync with Calibre 0.8.17 multiple times. At first I did not get an error message, but since yesterday when I synced again, I get the database error multiple times and Calibre gives me the data error message. After that the Kobo is not accessible to Calibre anymore and Windows gives me a delayed write error.
The books however do end up on the Kobo most of the time and I don't get the feared storage error.
EverC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 11:00 AM   #15
FJames
Addict
FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch & Aura
There still seems to be some disagreement over whether Calibre needs to be updated to work with the KT 1.9.10 firmware. Sameer from Kobo has suggested that it might be necessary due to their database changes. Some people are reporting problems, others reporting no problems. Are the people reporting problems doing something more than just adding content to the KT, such as deleting old content using Calibre?
FJames is offline   Reply With Quote