Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-24-2010, 12:22 PM   #31
sprise
sprise began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle (basic), Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordcrasher View Post
My wife and I reads the same book some weeks ago. She read her paper copy and I read it on my PRS-600. We exchanged our impressions about the book and I never thought for a moment we had a different experience. Different opinions for sure, but I think we both READ the book.
I know in my case, how I read depends on what I'm reading, not the medium I'm using. If I'm reading a news article, a forum post, blog, etc., I'm usually just skimming to pick up the main points. If, however, I'm researching a subject or reading a novel, then the reading material has my undivided attention, whether I'm reading a physical book, on my Sony/Kindle, or on my laptop screen. But, again, that's just me.
sprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 12:29 PM   #32
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardeegee View Post
Another damn lie by you, you two-faced, wishy-washy trolling sock-puppet scumbag. You have never, ever, ever, ever ONCE e-mailed me or posted a PM to me. You simply can not "open your mouth" without telling a lie-- and that is why I think you are a pathetic excuse for a human being.
Regardless of your personal feelings towards a person, posts like this are completely inappropriate here, as clearly specified in our guidelines. If you are unable to remain polite, it is better to refrain from posting anything.

Please edit your post to remove the personal attacks and avoid them in future.

Thank you.

[The Moderation Team]
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 12:30 PM   #33
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Message Deleted by original poster after reading the entire thread again.
My message was clearly redundant.
Sorry.

Last edited by kacir; 06-24-2010 at 12:38 PM.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 11:55 PM   #34
coolcat
Banned
coolcat began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Regardless of your personal feelings towards a person, posts like this are completely inappropriate here, as clearly specified in our guidelines. If you are unable to remain polite, it is better to refrain from posting anything.

Please edit your post to remove the personal attacks and avoid them in future.

Thank you.

[The Moderation Team]
But Harry T, it's funny, if his post was inappropriate and he took it down, it looks like he did, why leave your post up that still mocks that guy and for all we know this is just a he said she said thing, they both might be jerks. Hehe. Wouldn't it be the thing now to take down your post Harry T that still besmirches the reputation of ardeegee and that other clown? I am all for civility here, too. Good take down, sir, but now to be really cool, you should remove the incriminating post you quoted, no? What's wrong with those two guys, anyways?
coolcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 01:46 AM   #35
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
... and now this thread can die in peace...
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 01:53 AM   #36
Wordcrasher
Addict
Wordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle Fire 2015, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by danbloom View Post
And I accept your experience as real, Wordcrasher. Like I always said from the get go, I might be entirely wrong about this. And I don't mind being wrong. The more I hear from people like you, and your experiences, I am beginning to think i AM wrong. Thanks for comment.
Dan, I don't think you are entirely wrong. I think different media can modify our way of reading in many ways. As i said in another thread, reading on a PC or an iPad is not comfortable for me, as I get distracted by having movies, music, and all that the web offers just one keystroke from me.
On the other side, my PRS-600's online dictionary has improved my pleasure in reading books in English.
My opinion differs from yours in that I only think that it's always the same action of reading: calling it something else is, in my opinion of course, stretching it too far.
Wordcrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 10:22 PM   #37
coolcat
Banned

Not sure if this applies, but some sites are now asking posters to follow this informal style: In an effort to encourage the same level of civil dialogue among readers that we expect of our writers – a “civilogue,” to use the term coined by Jeffrey Weiss – they are requiring commenters to use their AOL or AIM screen names to submit a comment, and they are reading all comments before publishing them. Personal attacks (on writers, other readers, or anyone at all) and comments that are not productive additions to the conversation will not be published, period, to make room for a discussion among those with ideas to kick around. This might separate the wheat from the chaff here at MobileRead, too, no?
Old 06-25-2010, 10:39 PM   #38
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcat View Post
they are requiring commenters to use their AOL or AIM screen names to submit a comment, and they are reading all comments before publishing them.
Why, yes, that is an excellent way to kill a forum, Dan!
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 02:07 AM   #39
coolcat
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardeegee View Post
Why, yes, that is an excellent way to kill a forum, Dan!
It's like a game of chess, isn't it? And darren so much wants to win! for a man who admits (here on MR) he has never read much American literature, novels, poems, plays, essays -- and doesn't know most well-known writers and thinkers in the USA -- and pans top writers like Nicholas Carr and William Powers for their balanced tech vs unplugged books -- and says things like 20 years from now nobody will ever know who Nick Carr was! -- egads! -- and admits he is not much of a real ''reader'' in the first place, and that's okay, not everyone has to be a bookish person in my book, the truth does not lie only in books and there's lots to learn and know outside of the book world for sure, and the tech world is a very good place to build a homestead, sure, why don't you just move on with the things you do like in life instead of obsessing with this sockpuppet nonsense? You seem to have taken it as a personal mission to damp down the noise of people on this board you don't like, for vulgar reasons of your own. So strange. You are. But given that you are so obsessed, I beg your leave. It boggles the mind that someone would spend so much time worrying about nothingness.
Old 06-29-2010, 04:04 AM   #40
afa
The Forgotten
afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite; Nook HD; Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
I find this thread entertaining. Let's keep this up.

By the way, Dan, why do you keep switching IDs? 'coolcat' is now the third different ID you've used in this thread alone.
afa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 01:27 PM   #41
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcat View Post
[...]and pans top writers like Nicholas Carr and William Powers for their balanced tech vs unplugged books -- and says things like 20 years from now nobody will ever know who Nick Carr was!
I don't know who Nick Carr is NOW. Or William Powers. Are they highly specialized writers? Or have they written anything recent and popular?
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 01:29 PM   #42
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by afa View Post
I find this thread entertaining. Let's keep this up.

By the way, Dan, why do you keep switching IDs? 'coolcat' is now the third different ID you've used in this thread alone.
Because as soon as we identify a new ID, we ban it. Mr. Bloom is banned from MobileRead for flagrant and persistent violation of the rules. Banned means banned; it doesn't mean "create a new ID and come back". Mr. Bloom appears not to have grasped this concept.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 02:51 PM   #43
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by queentess View Post
I don't know who Nick Carr is NOW. Or William Powers. Are they highly specialized writers? Or have they written anything recent and popular?
I had completely forgotten who they were again (even though I had dismissed them once.) Carr is one of those guys who writes about how the internet is the end of the world-- this is the thread where I dismissed him:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...highlight=carr

William Powers is another obscure luddite of the same ilk-- here's his thread:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...William+Powers

It looks that I didn't post in that thread-- don't remember if I ever commented on him at all.

A review of Carr's new book:

http://techcrunch.com/2010/06/13/no-...ke-you-stupid/

Last edited by ardeegee; 06-29-2010 at 03:23 PM.
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
books, e-books, reading