Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-07-2011, 09:03 AM   #406
vans
Zealot
vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad, Elonix 621eb, Asus Transformer, Sony PRS505
Quote:
Originally Posted by elizilla View Post
It's not just England. I am in phone support and I talk to English-speaking people from all over the world. Almost every day, someone will ask me if I am from Canada. I have never lived in Canada.
There is something very distinctive in the way that Canadians say words containing "ou" like "out". I am not sure exactly how to describe it. It reminds me just a little of Fargo.
vans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 09:12 AM   #407
DMB
Old Git
DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Two kindle PWs wifi, kindle fire, iPad3 wifi
But to my ears it sounds to me as though some Americans pronounce it the same way.
DMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 09:16 AM   #408
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
^Depends where in Canada and the US. The weirdest thing I found is that my wife and I have lived quite a few places. In St. Louis, MO people said she had an accent and that I sounded like I came from there. In St. John's, NL we had the same thing. People thought she had an accent and I didn't.

We were born and raised within twenty kilometers of each other.

That's also odd because the usual joke, well the Terrance and Philip one is that Canadians' say aboot for about.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 09:31 AM   #409
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
That's also odd because the usual joke, well the Terrance and Philip one is that Canadians' say aboot for about.
That's what happens with a Scottish accent, too. I believe that many Canadians have Scottish ancestry, do they not?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 10:26 AM   #410
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
^Some. It depends on the area again. In Newfoundland, lots of UK accents. Predominantly Irish, but I've been told there are more English dialects in Newfoundland than in the UK. I can only attest that it took three meetings with my electrician before I had any idea what he was staying.

Where I grew up and am living now, Saskatchewan, the predominant accents you would have found would be German, Ukranian and maybe Danish. Although that is shifting and Saskatchewan and much of those accents is blending away. My heritage is Polish and Irish. If you've looked at my blog you know my love of all things Eastern European with my post on the hallowed pyrohy.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 09:22 AM   #411
Pinecone
Guru
Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650, PRS-600, PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
Yes, it's a different meaning to be a solicitor in American versus British English.

Somewhere in this thread someone asked about tea and coffee vending machines. I was at a ferry terminal and noticed that their machine also had minestrone and tomato soups for sale. I have never seen soup in a vending machine before.
You should try Japan. A single vending machine will serve you a hot coffee in a can, or a cold soda. Or food. Hot or cold.
Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 08:07 PM   #412
amward
Wizard
amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Eco Eclipse, Sony PRS 350 (pink), Ipod Touch, Kindle Touch
Yes and it was the best coffee we could find when we were there, not to mention the cheapest. Still wasn't that good, but maybe things have improved, I did notice a Starbucks the last time (about ten years ago) but wasn't able to try it. I have tried Starbucks in Melbourne and it was ok but not wonderful.
amward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 09:38 PM   #413
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinecone View Post
You should try Japan. A single vending machine will serve you a hot coffee in a can, or a cold soda. Or food. Hot or cold.
Or Suntory Whiskey.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 04:04 AM   #414
Pinecone
Guru
Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amward View Post
Yes and it was the best coffee we could find when we were there, not to mention the cheapest. Still wasn't that good, but maybe things have improved, I did notice a Starbucks the last time (about ten years ago) but wasn't able to try it. I have tried Starbucks in Melbourne and it was ok but not wonderful.
Because Starbucks in general is at best OK.
Old 10-10-2011, 04:04 AM   #415
Pinecone
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phogg View Post
Or Suntory Whiskey.
I must have missed that one. I would have had to buy some, just to say I had.
Old 07-25-2012, 01:06 AM   #416
augustjen
Enthusiast
augustjen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.augustjen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.augustjen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.augustjen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.augustjen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.augustjen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.augustjen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.augustjen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.augustjen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.augustjen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.augustjen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Keypad Kindle
Agree with above - usually its 'half past one', 'six-twenty', 'twenty to four'

Whatever happened to 'O´Clock'?

Suspect writers of historical fiction could trip up here.

Found an interesting link:
http://www.randomhouse.com/wotd/inde...?date=19970102

(Sorry - I am 'new' around here and it looks like I only read the first page of this thread! Didn't realise the thread had moved on. )

Last edited by augustjen; 07-25-2012 at 01:11 AM.
augustjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 01:10 AM   #417
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I would never expect to hear or read "o'clock" for anything except full hours.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 04:43 AM   #418
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Yup.
Four o'clock, ten past four, quarter past four, half four, quarter to five, five o'clock.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 05:08 AM   #419
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
  • 25 before four o'clock
  • 34 past three o'clock
but I prefer 25 or 6 to 4

Spoiler:
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 05:44 AM   #420
Witty Username
Addict
Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, Kobo Touch, Kobo Libra H2O
Well, as this thread has come back to life -

Any guesses as to what time the Scissor Sisters mean when they sing 'half past quarter to three' ?
Witty Username is offline   Reply With Quote