Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-21-2018, 07:13 PM   #1
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Sonys have better screens?

A question to those who own both Kobos and Sonys. Have you noticed that the Kobo screens are grayer with less contrast? So far all Sonys that I own (too many) except, of course, the 600/700/900, have brighter "whiter" screens with darker fonts (including the 505 and 300) than all the Kobos I've used (three Touches and now a Mini). I realize that these are older Kobos, but the Sonys are even older – and the Sony x50s (as well as the Kobos) are supposed to have Pearl screens. I thought my Kobos looked a little murky (not terrible, but noticeably different). The fonts on the Kobos look "flatter" whereas the fonts on the Sonys stand out. (I've attached some images.) I wish Sony was still in the eBook Reader business.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180321_135020.jpg
Views:	358
Size:	775.4 KB
ID:	162945   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180321_135106.jpg
Views:	359
Size:	757.2 KB
ID:	162946  

Last edited by rcentros; 03-21-2018 at 07:18 PM.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 08:25 PM   #2
Hemmi
Grand Sorcerer
Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sonys, Nooks, Kobo Libra, Forma, Mini, Paperwhite
I've only got a Kobo Mini (gave away my Touch because the touchscreen and I are not friends). I guess I've never compared the screens although I have been reading on the Mini lately since it's the only reader I've got that fits in my new purse (ereader in the purse is a must have). I don't read on it for long and the continual swiping to change the page is distracting enough. I don't find the screen difficult to read on at all though.
Hemmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-21-2018, 11:01 PM   #3
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemmi View Post
I've only got a Kobo Mini (gave away my Touch because the touchscreen and I are not friends). I guess I've never compared the screens although I have been reading on the Mini lately since it's the only reader I've got that fits in my new purse (ereader in the purse is a must have). I don't read on it for long and the continual swiping to change the page is distracting enough. I don't find the screen difficult to read on at all though.
No, I didn't mean to say the Mini and Touch aren't both easy to read on, but the Sonys are noticeably "whiter" with darker fonts. I was just curious why, since (I believe) both use Pearl class screens?

The size of the Kobo Mini is its best feature. But I do need a pouch or case for it and OEM ones seem almost impossible to find. The Mini does seem a bit "persnickety" about hooking up to Calibre, but I think I can work around that.
Old 04-03-2018, 03:18 PM   #4
radius
Lector minore
radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura One, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e, Google Pixel Slate
I agree with you. I think on average Sony's had the best contrast and font shaping of their generations.
radius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 10:32 PM   #5
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by radius View Post
I agree with you. I think on average Sony's had the best contrast and font shaping of their generations.
Kindles (the older ones) seem to have roughly the same whiteness and darkness, but the fonts on the older ones are limited.
Advert