Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > Upload Help

Notices

Old 03-21-2018, 10:27 PM   #1
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Date of death for J. M. Shirazi and others

I'd like to do an ebook for the MR library of Creatures that Once were Men, and Other Stories by Maxim Gorky, published as far as I can tell so far in 1918. It was translated by 'J. M. Shirazi and others.' I'm still searching for J. M. Shirazi's date of death, but what what can I do about the 'others'?

If I can find J. M. Shirazi's date of death would the ebook be acceptable for the MR Library?

The source text will be from the University of Adelaide ebook library, and they state that all their texts are in the Public Domain. The copyright rule in Australia is death plus 70.

Does anyone know J. M. Shirazi's date of death?

Last edited by AlexBell; 03-22-2018 at 01:42 AM.
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 07:52 PM   #2
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The very helpful people at Launceston LINC (public library) have given me a link to a British English version of Creatures that once were Men and Other Stories published in 1905, with J.K.M. Shirazi as the translator. But they were unable to find any other information at all about him or her.

Could I have ruling from a moderator please whether an book published 113 years ago would be accepted as being in the Public Domain, and an ebook of it would be accepted into the MobileRead library?

As a bonus could someone remind me please how a post can be sent directly to a moderator? I know that there is an icon somewhere to do that, but I can't remember which one.

Last edited by AlexBell; 03-23-2018 at 07:56 PM.
Advert
Old 03-23-2018, 08:21 PM   #3
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
If you click on the "!" button to the right of the "karma" button, you can send a message there. It offers to let you "report as spam", but it also lets you just type a message.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 03:10 PM   #4
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBell View Post
Could I have ruling from a moderator please whether an book published 113 years ago would be accepted as being in the Public Domain, and an ebook of it would be accepted into the MobileRead library.
When an author/translator/illustrator is unknown (as in "others"), we count 70 years from publication... and that should be from the earliest publication that can be found.

When no biographical information can be found (as in "J. M. Shirazi"), well, we can only consider it as a pseudonym until proved otherwise... and that works exactly as for unknown creators, 70 years from publication. (Now someone could say in this case we should look for the earliest publication of the latest work by that name, but then there is no guarantee it's the same person.)

This, at least, is my understanding of the general copyright laws in Europe, and the rules of thumb I use when approving uploads. To be safe, works with unknown/no-date creators are marked as "unsure" if published between 70 and 100 ago, but they are still approved and allowed in the library. So yes, you can upload it without worries.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 03:52 PM   #5
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
A Mohamed Jaffer Shirazi appears in the 1911 census (The only Shirazi to appear there.)

A Matilda Shirazi appears in the 1939 register, and may have got married in 1950.

But I could find no info about J M Shirazi or J K M Shirazi in the usual author/translator lists.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-25-2018, 12:01 AM   #6
Abzeronow
Connoisseur
Abzeronow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abzeronow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abzeronow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abzeronow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abzeronow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abzeronow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abzeronow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abzeronow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abzeronow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abzeronow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abzeronow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HE 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
When an author/translator/illustrator is unknown (as in "others"), we count 70 years from publication... and that should be from the earliest publication that can be found.

When no biographical information can be found (as in "J. M. Shirazi"), well, we can only consider it as a pseudonym until proved otherwise... and that works exactly as for unknown creators, 70 years from publication. (Now someone could say in this case we should look for the earliest publication of the latest work by that name, but then there is no guarantee it's the same person.)

This, at least, is my understanding of the general copyright laws in Europe, and the rules of thumb I use when approving uploads. To be safe, works with unknown/no-date creators are marked as "unsure" if published between 70 and 100 ago, but they are still approved and allowed in the library. So yes, you can upload it without worries.
In my personal research into what becomes public domain next year in the U.S., I've found a few novels by people that I cannot find much biographical info on. So that should be interesting to see if anybody uploads those books in 2019.

Duncan Campbell - The Last Millionaire: A Tale of the Old World and the New (1923)
http://www.sf-encyclopedia.com/entry/campbell_duncan

Fred M. Clough - The Golden Age; or, The Depth of Time (1923)
http://www.sf-encyclopedia.com/entry/clough_fred_m
Abzeronow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 12:50 AM   #7
AlexBell
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
If you click on the "!" button to the right of the "karma" button, you can send a message there. It offers to let you "report as spam", but it also lets you just type a message.
Thanks, that's most helpful.
Old 03-25-2018, 01:01 AM   #8
AlexBell
Wizard

Quote:

Thanks, that's most helpful.
Old 03-25-2018, 01:02 AM   #9
AlexBell
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
A Mohamed Jaffer Shirazi appears in the 1911 census (The only Shirazi to appear there.)

A Matilda Shirazi appears in the 1939 register, and may have got married in 1950.

But I could find no info about J M Shirazi or J K M Shirazi in the usual author/translator lists.
Thanks. Does 'the 1911 census' refer to the US census or the UK census? Mr or Ms Shirazi's work was published in both countries, by different publishers.

Last edited by AlexBell; 03-25-2018 at 01:06 AM.
Old 03-25-2018, 03:40 AM   #10
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBell View Post
Thanks. Does 'the 1911 census' refer to the US census or the UK census? Mr or Ms Shirazi's work was published in both countries, by different publishers.
UK census. The USA census happens on years ending in zero.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 03:57 AM   #11
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abzeronow View Post
In my personal research into what becomes public domain next year in the U.S., I've found a few novels by people that I cannot find much biographical info on. So that should be interesting to see if anybody uploads those books in 2019.
MR follows European copyright terms, not US. So those works, published before 1948 and with no biographical info on their authors, are already acceptable.
Old 03-26-2018, 08:50 PM   #12
AlexBell
Wizard

Quote:
UK census. The USA census happens on years ending in zero.
Thanks. To add another possible complication: I'm starting to think that the translator may have been a Russian who learned English, rather than an English person who learned Russian.

It doesn't really matter, since the book is in the public domain anyway.
Old 03-28-2018, 01:01 PM   #13
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch

... and we already had it in the library, which is another "proof" that it is not copyrighted (at least we either approved it or overlooked it). Patricia said "no translator named", but our notes mention the same J. K. M. Shirazi.
Old 03-31-2018, 03:58 AM   #14
AlexBell
Wizard

Quote:
... and we already had it in the library, which is another "proof" that it is not copyrighted (at least we either approved it or overlooked it). Patricia said "no translator named", but our notes mention the same J. K. M. Shirazi.
I'm nearly finished preparing an ebook version of his or her 'Life of Omar Khayammi', and the Preface mentions that he or she was Persian. There are footnotes referring to Oxford professors, and a dedication to what seems to be an English woman, but no other information.
Old 04-04-2018, 06:16 AM   #15
BobC
Guru
BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook 1, BeBook Pure, Kobo Glo, (and HD),Energy Sistem EReader Pro +
Quote:
FWIW That M J Shirazi was a visitor at the Imperial Hotel, Russell Square - he was a General Merchant in the Tea & Silk Trade and was born in Shiraz, Persia. Annoyingly it doesn't give his age but a redacted entry shows he had been married 10years and had one child.

BobC
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote