Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-16-2017, 08:57 AM   #541
mariosipad
Guru
mariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watch

Device: iPad & iPhone with Marvin 2 + 3 & Kobo Glo HD
@kovidgoyal for calibre!

I installed calibre version 3 on Debian 9 Stretch xfce.
- it works on the desktop
- it does not work with (tight)vncserver on port 5901
-> error (taken from a terminal prompt fter starting calibre):
Code:
$ calibre
Qt: XKEYBOARD extension not present on the X server
Xlib:  extension "RANDR" missing on display ":1.0".
$
I do not know if its supposed to work with VNC, but it's a bummer that it failed.
mariosipad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 09:13 AM   #542
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
@mariosipad: Nothing to do with calibre 3 itself, it's likely the updated Qt version (calibre 3 comes with Qt 5.6)

@NicolasF: Hmm looks fine on my windows, something unusaul about yours? High DPI screen? Different default font, etc? In any case, I will add some code to ensure that does not happen.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 05:26 PM   #543
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Just took my first look at calibre 3. Everything launches and loads great on my Arch system, and my initial testing turned up no issues so far. Now playing with the browser-based reader right now, which seems fantastic so far. Congrats on another calibre milestone!
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 04:27 AM   #544
Nicolas F
Groupie
Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
@NicolasF: Hmm looks fine on my windows, something unusaul about yours? High DPI screen? Different default font, etc? In any case, I will add some code to ensure that does not happen.
I hadn't thought to test another font, it seems to be the problem. It works fine using arial, but when I use segoe UI this occurs. Maybe this isn't the default? I don't remember if I changed it... (my screen isn't high DPI)
Nicolas F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 05:27 AM   #545
aCIDsLAM
Enthusiast
aCIDsLAM began at the beginning.

Device: Xiaomi MI Pad 1, LineageOS14.1
Quote:
THere is no thirty second timeout. The only case where the server might be slow to start that I know of is if you are running from source, then the first time the server starts it has to compile some code into javascript, which can take a while.

Maybe but i always get this the first try. After that it doesn doesnt happen anymore, until i restart the server. Just wanted to let you know.

Failed to communicate with "interface-data/books-init?library_id=Calibre-Bibliothek&sort=timestamp.desc&1497691441469", timed out after: 30 seconds
aCIDsLAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 10:32 AM   #546
Alcohol
Alcohol began at the beginning.

Quote:
I made the layout menu a little nicer, hopefully that will help get over the newness. See attached screenshot.
Sorry but I don't see the layout menu in your screenshot - only the button.

I only get a menu (with shortcuts alongside menu items) when I click on that...

Is this correct?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture1.JPG
Views:	166
Size:	234.0 KB
ID:	157358  
Alcohol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 10:41 AM   #547
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcohol View Post
Sorry but I don't see the layout menu in your screenshot - only the button.

I only get a menu (with shortcuts alongside menu items) when I click on that...

Is this correct?
In the next release, when you click the layout button it looks like this
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	layout_button.PNG
Views:	151
Size:	18.9 KB
ID:	157359  
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 10:55 AM   #548
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
What if you don't want to click the layout button and prefer the icons in the bottom right corner as they were prior to 3.0? (hint:an option to not have the button but rather the icons? maybe?)

signed,
a creature of habit
copyrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 12:00 PM   #549
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by copyrite View Post
What if you don't want to click the layout button and prefer the icons in the bottom right corner as they were prior to 3.0? (hint:an option to not have the button but rather the icons? maybe?)

signed,
a creature of habit
My guess is that this won't happen soon, but that is of course up to Kovid.

The functions in the "Layout" have keyboard shortcuts. Go to Preferences / Shortcuts and search for "Toggle" to see the current shortcuts and potentially change them.
Old 06-17-2017, 12:13 PM   #550
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
My guess is that this won't happen soon, but that is of course up to Kovid.

The functions in the "Layout" have keyboard shortcuts. Go to Preferences / Shortcuts and search for "Toggle" to see the current shortcuts and potentially change them.
Problem is, with this new layout that somebody has thought that is clearer and more user-friendly than the previous one (ugh), shortcuts are like emacs... something I totally despise.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 02:30 PM   #551
RelUnrelated
RelUnrelated is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
Problem is, with this new layout that somebody has thought that is clearer and more user-friendly than the previous one (ugh), shortcuts are like emacs... something I totally despise.
I'm completely with you on the keyboard shortcuts. I only use them when editing.

I'd *really* like to see the old layout menu available as an option. I now have to click twice instead of once (Yes, a first world problem, but it's a step backward in UI functionality.)

One other thing I miss: A single button to collapse the tag browser. Again, it's available in a context menu if I right click in the tag browser, but that's still a step backward for the UI.

A great big THANK YOU!! to Kovid for his fantastic work on this project.
RelUnrelated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 02:42 PM   #552
RelUnrelated
RelUnrelated is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
Editor File Browser

This problem is probably because of Qt settings on my system: I'm getting black text on a dark grey background in the file browser pane of the editor. Text is white when selected.

Ubuntu 17.04 64-bit, Gnome3 Shell, Qt5, Qt4
RelUnrelated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 05:42 PM   #553
Alcohol
Alcohol began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RelUnrelated View Post
I'm completely with you on the keyboard shortcuts. I only use them when editing.

I'd *really* like to see the old layout menu available as an option. I now have to click twice instead of once (Yes, a first world problem, but it's a step backward in UI functionality.)

One other thing I miss: A single button to collapse the tag browser. Again, it's available in a context menu if I right click in the tag browser, but that's still a step backward for the UI.

A great big THANK YOU!! to Kovid for his fantastic work on this project.
My feelings exactly and very well put...
Alcohol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 10:25 PM   #554
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
@RelUnrelated: That's weird. I dont what could cause that. The file list is a pretty standrad Qt tree widget to draw the lines between categories and the file sizes, but the actual text backgrtound is drawn by Qt itself. You see this in any other tree views or only this one? The Tag Browser in the main calibre interface or the Style Rules in the editor reports tool?

As for an option to restore the layout buttons, I'm afraid it is not worth the efoort for me, but I wont refuse a patch to implement it.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 06:12 AM   #555
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
As for an option to restore the layout buttons, I'm afraid it is not worth the efoort for me, but I wont refuse a patch to implement it.
Kovid accepted a patch to add an option to show the buttons instead of the layout button. If the option Preferences / Look & Feel is checked then the calibre status bar looks like the image below. The order of the buttons can change depending on which of a "wide" or "narrow" global layout is selected.

Note: I am not interested in getting into a debate about how many pixels should separate the buttons, the icons, the button order, or the button size.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	137
Size:	4.5 KB
ID:	157373