Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 07-21-2014, 06:17 PM   #1
aabbccbb
aabbccbb began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx M92/96
Printing documents with annotations merged from the Icarus Excel/M92

Hey guys,

First, as a noob, thanks for all the great info on this site!

Now, my problem: printing a PDF with merged annotations. I can scribble fine. I can merge fine. The annotations show up on my CPU when I import them and open the file with Adobe. But when I print, my scribbles are no longer there. It doesn't seem to be a print setting that I can see. I'm on a Mac, using the Icarus (Firmare v 1.8).

Anyone conquered this issue? If not, any thoughts?

(As an aside: yes, it's a bit weird to print something that you've read on an eReader. I'm reading most of the articles for my Ph.D. on the eReader, but I want a printed version of the seminal papers to be referenced quickly and often. I'd like to see my original reading notes when I do so...)
aabbccbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 09:21 AM   #2
aabbccbb

No one?

Okay, so follow-up question, then: does anyone know how, exactly, scribbles are saved in PDFs? If I knew the process, I could troubleshoot based on that...

Thanks!
Old 07-25-2014, 12:11 PM   #3
BCotton
Connoisseur
BCotton doesn't litterBCotton doesn't litterBCotton doesn't litter

Device: Boox M90, Sony PRS-300, PB360+, HP Touchpad
I use PDf Xchange viewer to flatten "comments" on Windows.
BCotton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 02:50 PM   #4
aabbccbb

Excellent, thanks for your reply!

Do you have any clue what format the Onyx makes the layer in? Apparently PDFs have a bunch of different options (despite Adobe claiming they're standardized). I've tried the flattening options in mac (preview and safari), but they don't catch the Onyx's layer. Adobe recognizes it, but I don't want to spend ~$200 on adobe pro if I don't have to. So if I know what type of layer I'm looking to flatten, I may be able to find a specific solution.

Thanks again.
Old 07-26-2014, 08:35 AM   #5
markom
Banned
markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs t1 kindle dx ipad
Have you chosen "documents and markups" option instead of just "documents" or "documents and stamps" ?

If you can see your merged scribblings in Adobe Reader I guess you should be able to virtually print out pdf with all scribblings and highlights (to file) using "documents and markups" option.

By using "summarize comments" button beneath, we can also print out comments(e.g. those typed behind the sticky notes), that will be enumerated on additional page(s) at the end of pdf.

In Foxit Reader it's "documents and annotations".

Last edited by markom; 07-27-2014 at 09:25 AM.
markom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 12:14 PM   #6
aabbccbb

Hey Markom,

Yeah, I've tried those printer settings. Nothing doing. I wanted to download Foxit, but I'm on a mac.

"Summarize comments" was interesting. It put a numbered flag on each place on the page where there was a scribble. The scribble itself did not show up, though.

As you said, Adobe is picking up the layer. But it won't flatten the layer (in order to print) without buying pro. Hopefully there's a free, Mac-friendly solution!

Last edited by aabbccbb; 07-27-2014 at 12:17 PM.
Old 07-27-2014, 01:18 PM   #7
markom
Banned
markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aabbccbb View Post
Hey Markom,

Yeah, I've tried those printer settings. Nothing doing. I wanted to download Foxit, but I'm on a mac.

"Summarize comments" was interesting. It put a numbered flag on each place on the page where there was a scribble. The scribble itself did not show up, though.

As you said, Adobe is picking up the layer. But it won't flatten the layer (in order to print) without buying pro. Hopefully there's a free, Mac-friendly solution!
You can try k2pdfopt

http://www.willus.com/k2pdfopt/

double clicking the icon shall start the app and by using add-file button we can then add our pdf, or just by moving the pdf icon onto k2pdfopt icon or opened app window.

for conversion mode: choose copy, also keep native-pdf-output box unchecked.

in pages-to-convert field enter something like 10-12 to convert just those three 10,11,12 pages where there are scribblings, as quick probe.

Also you can try Safari browser for Mac.
I can print out pdf flattened in Safari for Windows, selecting any installed virtual printer there, not just Adobe's.

Last edited by markom; 07-28-2014 at 09:16 AM.
Old 07-29-2014, 12:05 AM   #8
aabbccbb

Quote:
Originally Posted by markom View Post
You can try k2pdfopt

http://www.willus.com/k2pdfopt/

double clicking the icon shall start the app and by using add-file button we can then add our pdf, or just by moving the pdf icon onto k2pdfopt icon or opened app window.

for conversion mode: choose copy, also keep native-pdf-output box unchecked.

in pages-to-convert field enter something like 10-12 to convert just those three 10,11,12 pages where there are scribblings, as quick probe.

Also you can try Safari browser for Mac.
I can print out pdf flattened in Safari for Windows, selecting any installed virtual printer there, not just Adobe's.
Okay, so I downloaded k2pdfopt and installed it. There's no GUI on macs, though (at least not ones with the required options). The options I have in the terminal commander can be seen in step 7 here: http://www.willus.com/k2pdfopt/help/mac.shtml

Which one should I be trying?

Also, can you elaborate on the "virtual printer in Safari" thing? Do I need to install a virtual printer to use this feature? If so, which one do you use?

Thanks for your help!
Old 07-29-2014, 05:51 AM   #9
markom
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by aabbccbb View Post
Okay, so I downloaded k2pdfopt and installed it. There's no GUI on macs, though (at least not ones with the required options). The options I have in the terminal commander can be seen in step 7 here: http://www.willus.com/k2pdfopt/help/mac.shtml

Which one should I be trying?

Also, can you elaborate on the "virtual printer in Safari" thing? Do I need to install a virtual printer to use this feature? If so, which one do you use?

Thanks for your help!
Sorry, I've forgot it's not the same for Mac.

You should just use copy mode after adding your pdf, that will create flattened bitmaped pdf.

I guess you just type mo (then press enter) and you will be given several options (letters) thereafter, you should choose c (for copy).

As for Safari, I just mentioned it because there is Mac version.

There are many free or payed (that came with pdf readers and editors) virtual printers for Windows I've been using like Pdf-xchange, Bullzip, Cutepdf, Adobe.

http://en.softonic.com/s/free-virtua...windows-7/free

for Mac you could try these:

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/49721/pdfwriter

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/35288/vipriser/

http://www.iskysoft.com/pdf-tips/pri...win-linux.html

Last edited by markom; 07-29-2014 at 06:15 AM.
Old 07-31-2014, 06:46 PM   #10
Mono
Mono
Mono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Boox M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCotton View Post
I use PDf Xchange viewer to flatten "comments" on Windows.
And it is possible to use even trial version. But in that case, pdf file has to be printed to virtual pdf printer after flattenning, otherwise if the file is saved after flattening, watermark is added.

It is described in M92 wiki of this forum, I guess.
Mono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 02:13 PM   #11
aabbccbb

Hey guys,

Well, I tried all the solutions you suggested. The only free option that worked was k2pdfopt. (http://www.willus.com/k2pdfopt/)

Unfortunately, the resolution is noticeably degraded during conversion.

So, after all of this, my solution will be low-tech: I'll just print the PDF without my annotations, and then copy my markups by hand. It's not ideal, but it won't take too long to do, either. It will also force me to be very selective in what I print, which isn't a bad thing.

Thank you all very much for your help. I was lost, and although a perfect solution didn't materialize, at least I know that I tried the available options.

Cheers!