Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-20-2019, 03:26 PM   #61
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomk2 View Post
Does Walmart carry all the Kobo devices in store ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
I don't think my local Walmart even carries any. They're all just ship to store.
The only Kobo some (about a third) of all American Walmarts ever carried in-store was the Aura 2. There's only a few of those left — there's actually one store in my area that still has one (at least it did yesterday or the day before).
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 05:09 PM   #62
Tomk2
Groupie
Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I don't blame you for ditching B&N. But I bought graphic novels in the Nook for PC days and had no issues downloading them.

I bought one more recently and downloaded it using the Nook Windows 10 app.

DRM became an issue on the later, but downloading the graphic novels as epubs wasn't a problem with either.
So if I have a windows 10 machine, I can download all my nook ebooks? Would I be able to transfer the files to another machine?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Tomk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 05:10 PM   #63
Tomk2
Groupie
Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: none
Quote:
I don't blame you for ditching B&N. But I bought graphic novels in the Nook for PC days and had no issues downloading them.

DRM became an issue on the later, but downloading the graphic novels as epubs wasn't a problem with either.
Can you backup those files after downloading them?

Sorry for the tapatalk induced double post.

Last edited by Tomk2; 09-21-2019 at 12:08 PM.
Tomk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 06:08 PM   #64
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Well, I dug out an old computer running Windows Vista, downloaded old Nook Study and Nook PC programs, but can not sign into B&N with those old programs to get my nook ebooks. It seems that I missed the boat for backing up my Nook Books. I can say with certainty I am "post Nook," and have given up on my Nook books.

Does Walmart carry all the Kobo devices in store ?

NO
My old (city) Walmart had 2 models). I have not seen ANY in my local Walmart (and it is 3 times the size of the old one).
I had to order online AND delivery to store WAS NOT an option.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 06:58 PM   #65
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:

I read on ComicGlass so for me, the only point of downloading epubs is to be able to deDRM.

I think GNs from some western publishers worked on Nook for PC but none of my manga was ever available. It shows on the website what devices and software were allowed. I think Nook Study was okay for manga but not Nook for PC.

The DRM issue was listed as my #2. After a certain update, copies downloaded by the Windows store app was missing key data present on the Android version that were needed to decrypt.

At the time I encountered it, no one was able to help on Alf's blog. Iirc, the solution for that came about 2+ years after I had already stopped buying Nook books so it was already too late. Besides, the solution was pretty onerous considering I tend to buy entire/multiple series (20-60 books) in one go.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 10:31 PM   #66
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
For you folks that have lost the ability to download your Nook books, do you still have your Nook (and is it still registered?) If so, you can try this:

Put an SD card into your Nook. You can then download your books from B&N onto your Nook - be sure to configure things so they go to the SD card, not the built-in Nook memory. I don't remember specifically how to configure this since it's been so many year since I used a Nook, but I know it is (or was) doable. Once the books are downloaded onto the Nook's SD card, remove the SD card, put it into a card reader, then plug that into your computers USB port. You should now be able to access the books on the SD card and copy them you your computer. Note that if you do not pull the SD card out of the Nook and attempt to access it by plugging the Nook itself into your computer, you won't be able to access the books. The SD card must be out of the Nook.

I did these steps years ago to get my Nook books after B&N cut off easy access to them. After I got them to my computer, into Calibre they went to be DeDRM'ed by the plugin and then converted to AZW3 format for use on a Kindle. I haven't used the Nook since. B&N took themselves out of the picture for me when they tried to lock me out. Bad move B&N, but it was your choice and you now have to deal with the repercussions (I abandoned you, and I'm sure others did as well).

I don't know if the above steps will still work, but they did for me, a few years ago.
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 09:04 AM   #67
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I downloaded all of my books from B&N as I bought them. I stripped the DRM and backed them up. After B&N stopped allowing me to download my books I stopped buying from them.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 12:06 PM   #68
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
So if I have a windows 10 machine, I can download all my nook ebooks?
Download them? Yes, for sure. Using the Windows 10 Nook app.

Quote:
Would I be able to transfer the files to another machine?

Can you backup those files after downloading them?
I can still strip DRM from Nook books. But be warned, some users here have no issues. Others do. So your mileage may vary.

If you're looking for guidance, it's this:
  1. Don't buy new books from B&N if you're worried about DRM stripping. Use Kobo if you're looking for an Amazon alternative.
  2. If you already have purchased B&N books, download the Windows 10 Nook app and give it a shot. It costs nothing but time.

Also, try chatting at Alf's blog. One of my graphic novel ePubs, a file was in the wrong place. Opening the ePub as a zip file and moving the misplaced file to the expected location allowed me to remove the DRM.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 12:11 PM   #69
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
I read on ComicGlass so for me, the only point of downloading epubs is to be able to deDRM.
To be clear, once I had a DRM-free ePub, I opened it with Sigil and extracted the images to create a CBZ file. That worked with every graphic novel I purchased from B&N (nine, I think?).

Quote:
I think GNs from some western publishers worked on Nook for PC but none of my manga was ever available. It shows on the website what devices and software were allowed. I think Nook Study was okay for manga but not Nook for PC.
Do they use some format other than ePub for manga? Mine were all western comics, so maybe they do. The ways of B&N are very mysterious.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 02:18 PM   #70
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
To be clear, once I had a DRM-free ePub, I opened it with Sigil and extracted the images to create a CBZ file. That worked with every graphic novel I purchased from B&N (nine, I think?).
Lol, ComicGlass doesn't actually support ePub so if it hadn't been for the thumbnails in Nook books, I could've just renamed the .epub to .zip or .cbz and go my merry way. I do this for Kobo manga.

Checking my Nook cbz folder, I had purchased almost 800 Nook manga at $4-6 a pop. That money's going to Amazon and Kobo now.

Quote:
Do they use some format other than ePub for manga? Mine were all western comics, so maybe they do. The ways of B&N are very mysterious.
They use ePub.

Honestly, I don't know why manga is treated differently. The normal books I downloaded via the Windows 10 app worked fine with Alf. It's just the manga that was missing the keys. At the time, the Android app still worked without jumping through hoops so I went that route.
Old 09-21-2019, 10:28 PM   #71
Nausicaa
Connoisseur
Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
^^ This is why I use an android phone to open the files. I never need to worry about file format or converting them. I have multiple ways to sync them and also share files easily. I can read comics or manga online, although its worse for reading them when the background is white unless its LCD (which I also have one of, but I don't read comics)
Nausicaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 10:46 PM   #72
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nausicaa View Post
^^ This is why I use an android phone to open the files. I never need to worry about file format or converting them. I have multiple ways to sync them and also share files easily. I can read comics or manga online, although its worse for reading them when the background is white unless its LCD (which I also have one of, but I don't read comics)
I use an iPad so being able to read on the native/official app (which I often greatly dislike) is not an issue.

It's just that I choose to deDRM because I want the freedom of being able to choose my preferred reading app as well as for archival purposes. If I couldn't remove DRM, I wouldn't buy ebooks at all and would just borrow from the library.

Last edited by ilovejedd; 09-21-2019 at 10:56 PM.
Old 09-22-2019, 04:28 AM   #73
Nausicaa
Connoisseur
Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I don't have a problem with DRM because I don't buy from those stores anyway. I think I have kindle format files that work fine in moonreader (just a bunch of free philosophy books anyway, not sure if the DRM is selective or I just DeDRM'd them a long time ago) and most of the stuff is academic stuff or just not on a store with DRM. This stuff feels like MP3s from iTunes. Rather not deal with it.
Nausicaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 02:19 PM   #74
MustardOrMayo
Connoisseur
MustardOrMayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MustardOrMayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MustardOrMayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MustardOrMayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MustardOrMayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MustardOrMayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MustardOrMayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MustardOrMayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MustardOrMayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MustardOrMayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MustardOrMayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Likebook Mimas (main) + (many others)
I had an original Kindle Paperwhite back in 2014, but stopped using it after a few months. I didn't read e-books for a while, until February 2019 when I pre-ordered and received my Likebook Mimas white edition. I would've got a BOOX Note series instead if they had a device with the hardware features I want, but they don't, while the Likebook has the hardware features I want (albeit with interference out of the earphone jack), but not all of the software features I want compared to the Boox.

These days, Google Play Books and Kobo are the main e-book services I use, not counting DRM-free books I get direct from the author (self-published) and/or their crowdfunding campaigns, and I have the Kindle tablet app, but just in order to read my existing purchases. Of course, the public library system here uses OverDrive, so I have both the OverDrive and Libby apps, where I would use the former for EPUBs, and the latter for their proprietary "OverDrive Read and Listen" formats.
MustardOrMayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 12:08 PM   #75
dingrr
dingrr began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Kindle Paperwhite. I mainly borrow books from the library.
dingrr is offline   Reply With Quote