Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Server

Notices

Old 06-24-2019, 05:43 PM   #1
Metrix84
Metrix84 began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Paperwhite 3
Hosting ebooks to download via calibre

Evening all,

I'm wanting to know if it's possible to run a server which can host ebooks that a user can view and then download very much in the same way that Calibre2opds allowed you to do before Dropbox changed their terms and conditions and stopped allowing you to be able to view the index.html file via your ereader.

I have a large family who all have Kindle's and so it was requested that I host this and make new books available and they be able to view a page like previously used to happen and they be able to click download and receive their book.

Is this still possible in 2019 and if so how would I go about it.

I have a couple of VPS's if that's the route that it will need to go down.

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Metrix
Metrix84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 08:47 PM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I sense you're entering a grey area here on Mobile Read; discussion of means to share content with other people....

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 12:42 AM   #3
Metrix84

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I sense you're entering a grey area here on Mobile Read; discussion of means to share content with other people....

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
I wouldn't say that this is a grey area at all, otherwise why create programs like Calibre2opds and the like to serve ebooks.

The books that I will be making available to my family are all completely legal and bought legitimately. I have no interest in downloading ebooks or stealing them and actually abhor this kind of mentality.
Old 06-28-2019, 02:34 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/server.html
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 02:37 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metrix84 View Post
The books that I will be making available to my family are all completely legal and bought legitimately. I have no interest in downloading ebooks or stealing them and actually abhor this kind of mentality.
Kindle books are licensed for your personal use only. Amazon have their “Amazon Household” programme which allows up to two adults and four children to share digital content, but if you distribute books outside of these licensing terms, this is copyright infringement, regardless of whether or not you bought the books legitimately.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 04:35 PM   #6
Metrix84

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Many thanks!
Old 06-28-2019, 06:17 PM   #7
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
I'm wanting to know if it's possible to run a server which can host ebooks that a user can view and then download very much in the same way that Calibre2opds allowed you to do before Dropbox changed their terms and conditions and stopped allowing you to be able to view the index.html file via your ereader.
Just in case it suits your needs better it is worth pointing out that although Dropbox no longer acts as a web server it is still possible to achieve the same results by using updog.co to front a Calibre2opds generated catalog and Calibre library hosted on Dropbox. This is covered in the Calibre2opds documentation.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 09:51 PM   #8
darthnithin
darthnithin began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Kindle books are licensed for your personal use only. Amazon have their “Amazon Household” programme which allows up to two adults and four children to share digital content, but if you distribute books outside of these licensing terms, this is copyright infringement, regardless of whether or not you bought the books legitimately.
They never said anything about buying the books from amazon. You are literally allowed to sideload legally obtained books onto your kindle. They could be public domain books, or books obtained from another store. Curb your copyright witch-hunting.
darthnithin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 12:23 AM   #9
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthnithin View Post
They never said anything about buying the books from amazon. You are literally allowed to sideload legally obtained books onto your kindle. They could be public domain books, or books obtained from another store. Curb your copyright witch-hunting.
Sheesh. Perhaps you should made your comments a year ago when this thread was new?

As it is, perhaps the question you should be asking is why would the OP want to make those books available via calibre's server? If the users are part of an Amazon household plan, they would be able to download the books from Amazon themselves. The alternative is that they do not have the right to access those books for themselves so putting those books up for others to download would indeed be copyright violation.

Though I find it rather humourous that you appear to believe that sharing books obtained from another store (Kobo, Google, Apple, B&N, Bol, etc.) would somehow be less repugnant than sharing books obtained from Amazon.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, calibre2opds, download, ebook, vps